Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650384 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2016, 06:35:11 pm »

ehh. I see. That would be a much better joke if the prequels weren't better than the originals.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 14, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »

ehh. I see. That would be a much better joke if the prequels weren't better than the originals.

You either watched the movies when you were 2, or you're trolling. You have to be trolling.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 14, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »
+1

You either watched the movies when you were 2, or you're trolling. You have to be trolling.

I rewatched them all recently.

Actually, I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of all movies that I watch and rank them from 1 to 100. Let me look up my scores-- everything above 50 is worth watching.

Attack of the Clones: 68
Epire Strikes Back: 48
Revenge of the Sith: 31
Return of the Jedi: 30
A New Hope: 25
The Phantom Menace: 19

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 14, 2016, 07:20:48 pm »

Sorry man, they're just not good movies, and for some reason everyone who talks about how amazing they are never explains me what is so good about them.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 14, 2016, 07:23:05 pm »
+3

I mean, it's all right to be that guy who goes against the prevailing consensus about whether or not a movie is good.  But that doesn't mean there's no consensus, and the consensus doesn't favor those three non-existent movies:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/star-wars-saga/
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 14, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »

Sorry man, they're just not good movies, and for some reason everyone who talks about how amazing they are never explains me what is so good about them.

What is so bad about Episode 4, 5, and 6? What happens in the movies?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 14, 2016, 07:57:55 pm »
+1

I mean, it's all right to be that guy who goes against the prevailing consensus about whether or not a movie is good.  But that doesn't mean there's no consensus, and the consensus doesn't favor those three non-existent movies:

err  :D well the consensus is not a good argument when it comes to art.

What is so bad about Episode 4, 5, and 6? What happens in the movies?

Four:
- It looks like crap, which is unfortunate for a Movie set in space
- It's boring over long stretches
- None of the characters are particularly likable.
- The entire chase scene is super cringe worthy, as the good guys are essentially invincible; they are being shot at constantly but those shots always miss for no reason at all. that kills all stakes.
- The finale is incredibly cheesy and generic. I really can't understand how anyone can claim that it's a good movie after watching that.

Five:
This is harder to explain. There aren't that many "flaws" with this one, at least not compared to the above, the problem here is more that the entire movie is unpleasant to look at. The snow planet thing, then the whole escape in the airship... with unlikable characters... who cares... then there's the yoda parts which are easily the best part of the movie, but the planet is likewise ugly, muddy, swampy, foggy.. bllp...f

Then they find shelter but get betrayed five minutes later. And C-3PO gets split in parts and the main guy loses his hand... --like, why watch this? Where's the appeal?

Six:
Okay, the way I remember this one, it was split in two parts

#1 The scene were Luke rescues the other guy. Well, this scene is pretty obviously dumb, because it paints Luke as having some sort of grand plan, but he... doesn't. He just fights, and has plot invincibility again; if this was GoT, he'd die in three seconds.

There are also these things where if you are thrown inside you suffer for 1000 years while you're being digested, and they happily throw tons of other guys in (and a bunch of good guys narrowly avoid it). ttsspfdsfshfksjkghfdkjghj

And why is he even doing this? Don't they have the entire rebellion on their side? Why risk your life in such an asinine way?

#2 The attack on Death Star 2.0

I mean... a forest species with slingshots beat an army of futuristic clone warriors with laser weapons... ... ... ... ... also the fighting is presented as a joke.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #582 on: March 14, 2016, 08:19:38 pm »
+2

You all should be lucky the Emperor isn't on these forums, because he is not as forgiving as I am.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 14, 2016, 08:36:07 pm »
+1

err  :D well the consensus is not a good argument when it comes to art.

Well, it's an argument that there is a consensus, and that you are standing against it.  There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the consensus position in art, of course, unlike in science.  In both cases, though, you need to present evidence to bolster your case if you want your argument not to be ignored--in science, obviously the evidence must be overwhelming, whereas in art it's incredibly subjective.

But even in art, it's tricky to go against the consensus.  If you try to tell me that you think Beethoven's 1st Symphony is superior to his 9th, or that the Pieta is artistically inferior to the death masks of the Egyptians, that's going to be a really, really hard sell.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 14, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »

Fair enough, although I look at it more at that there's no such thing as right or wrong anyway when it comes to taste, so all we can do is explain why we feel what we feel regardless of how many other people agree.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #585 on: March 14, 2016, 08:55:27 pm »

But even in art, it's tricky to go against the consensus.  If you try to tell me that you think Beethoven's 1st Symphony is superior to his 9th, or that the Pieta is artistically inferior to the death masks of the Egyptians, that's going to be a really, really hard sell.

Well, it's not exactly a major achievement to be superior to Beethoven's 9th symphony.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 14, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »

Well, it's not exactly a major achievement to be superior to Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Oh, Awaclus. :)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 14, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »

I like Beethoven's 9th Symphony a lot. Tied for my favorite classical piece with the 4 seasons from Vivaldi.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 14, 2016, 09:25:28 pm »

Unrelated, I just finished rewatching Shutter Island. OH MY GOD that movie is so amazing **_** Can we at least agree on that one?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 14, 2016, 09:44:32 pm »

Unrelated, I just finished rewatching Shutter Island. OH MY GOD that movie is so amazing **_** Can we at least agree on that one?

An island for exclusively selling outside window covers?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2016, 09:48:53 pm »

I like Beethoven's 9th Symphony a lot. Tied for my favorite classical piece with the 4 seasons from Vivaldi.

Really? I mean, Vivaldi's 4 seasons is good, but Beethoven's 9th symphony is pretty much on-par with modern supermainstream pop music.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 14, 2016, 10:07:50 pm »
+3

Really? I mean, Vivaldi's 4 seasons is good, but Beethoven's 9th symphony is pretty much on-par with modern supermainstream pop music.

I had no idea you thought so highly of mainstream pop.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2016, 10:17:16 pm »

An island for exclusively selling outside window covers?

If you have not seen that movie, you need to watch it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #593 on: March 14, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »

I had no idea you thought so highly of mainstream pop.

Well, I do. Where "so" = "not very".

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 14, 2016, 10:36:49 pm »

Okay, someone beside me must have seen Shutter Island. I thought that movie was really well known. Awaclus? eH?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 14, 2016, 10:54:46 pm »
+1

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 14, 2016, 11:04:51 pm »

Okay, someone beside me must have seen Shutter Island. I thought that movie was really well known. Awaclus? eH?

I've watched, and you probably want to talk about this in the "Movie Buffs" thread. I liked it, but the plot twist wasn't that original.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #597 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:07 pm »

I usually watch exclusively animation unless a live action movie has been specifically recommended to me or fans of a certain movie/genre/director/etc that I happen to like. Which hasn't been the case for Shutter Island.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 14, 2016, 11:51:12 pm »

I have to admit, thrillers just aren't my thing.

I can't tell if you're trolling to mess with me, or if you actually believe that.  Next you'll say that the New World Symphony was pablum for the masses

In particular, the Scherzo/Trio second movement of Beethoven 9 is astonishingly good. 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2016, 12:00:20 am »

Or you could say that Windows 8 is better than Windows 7.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.768 seconds with 21 queries.