Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650645 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #500 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
+3

Why does anyone care? It's a crappy continuation of a mediocre series, it's not like you're actually going to see the play or anything.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »

Also, those were reductio ad absurdum examples to show the issue with 'inauthentic by the definition of the word.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 11, 2016, 07:23:05 pm »
+1

Why does anyone care? It's a crappy continuation of a mediocre series, it's not like you're actually going to see the play or anything.

Oh, Awaclus. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 11, 2016, 07:24:55 pm »

It's an issue if you're saying ethnicity Y people cannot play roles based on source material where the base character had ethnicity Z.  Especially when the relative sizes of Y, Z, etc. have great disparity. 

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 11, 2016, 07:26:19 pm »
+1

Okay, to end this discussion about what skin color she really has - it actually is stated in the books.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter 21 : "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree."

(See? Subtle! I'm sure this has been intentional.)

I'm going to assume this is where they're running from werewolves and dementors. I could easily see someone describing someone's face as white if you're being chased by crazy stuff. BUT I think this shows that Rowling thought of Hermione as light skinned. But I don't think it's her intentional way of saying "she's definately white, guys! I'll point to this later!".

It's the INTERNET! And we think someone's wrong. So we have to correct them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 11, 2016, 07:34:27 pm »

I'm going to assume this is where they're running from werewolves and dementors. I could easily see someone describing someone's face as white if you're being chased by crazy stuff. BUT I think this shows that Rowling thought of Hermione as light skinned. But I don't think it's her intentional way of saying "she's definately white, guys! I'll point to this later!".

I would bet at least 100$ against 20$ that it is in fact what she is saying, intentionally. It's not the first time that she packs information into such small details; e.g. you can infer the date at which the books are taking place from the date of death of the headless nick and his 1000th celebration thing - and that date was stated once in the very first book. The series has an amazing attention to detail.

I think the harry potter series is a masterpiece - that's why I care; otherwise I wouldn't.

It's an issue if you're saying ethnicity Y people cannot play roles based on source material where the base character had ethnicity Z.  Especially when the relative sizes of Y, Z, etc. have great disparity. 

I'm saying that if a black person plays a white person in a stage play or vice versa then you're being inauthentic because they look different. Other assets, cultural, whatever, different story, because you can't see them. They're actors, they play a character.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 11, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »

I'm saying that if a black person plays a white person in a stage play or vice versa then you're being inauthentic because they look different. Other assets, cultural, whatever, different story, because you can't see them. They're actors, they play a character.

And this has precisely happened, many many times, to no negative consequence.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 11, 2016, 07:36:05 pm »
+2

Whether she's white or not, it's not important for the character or the plot. If you make a movie about slavery you don't caste a white guy as a black slave. You cast a black guy. But Hermione's character isn't affected by her skin colour, nor is any situation she's in get affected by it, so it doesn't matter who they cast for the role.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 11, 2016, 07:38:57 pm »

Whether she's white or not, it's not important for the character or the plot. If you make a movie about slavery you don't caste a white guy as a black slave. You cast a black guy. But Hermione's character isn't affected by her skin colour, nor is any situation she's in get affected by it, so it doesn't matter who they cast for the role.

I wouldn't say you have to cast a black guy; you only need to portray the character as being black, given that it's important.  If casting a black actor is your way of doing it, fine.  If you want to do it in another way (that works), fine.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 11, 2016, 07:40:39 pm »

I can assure you: it matters. People care about it. For many, if they are deeply invested into a series, and it is put into a visual medium, they care how the characters look. I mean, of course they do. Why do you think movies are flooded with pretty looking people? People care how other people look.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 11, 2016, 07:41:54 pm »

Plus there is a big difference between stage and movies.  Visual imagery for immersion is much more important in a movie, and not for theater.

I can assure you: it matters. People care about it. For many, if they are deeply invested into a series, and it is put into a visual medium, they care how the characters look. I mean, of course they do. Why do you think movies are flooded with pretty looking people? People care how other people look.

This is what makes me think you haven't seen plays before.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 11, 2016, 07:44:51 pm »

I haven't seen plays before.

And the audience for this play is not the community that knows plays well; it's the community that knows the harry potter series well. There are a lot of harry potter fans out there, they are going to watch this.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 11, 2016, 07:46:23 pm »

I would bet at least 100$ against 20$ that it is in fact what she is saying, intentionally. It's not the first time that she packs information into such small details; e.g. you can infer the date at which the books are taking place from the date of death of the headless nick and his 1000th celebration thing - and that date was stated once in the very first book. The series has an amazing attention to detail.

The series also has a bunch of plot holes and stuff that doesn't make sense. I don't think it has an amazing attention to detail.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 11, 2016, 07:47:48 pm »

This is probably more posts in one day than Random Stuff Part III has had in it's entire history.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:21 pm »

Probably. :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 11, 2016, 07:49:27 pm »

I haven't seen plays before.

And the audience for this play is not the community that knows plays well; it's the community that knows the harry potter series well. There are a lot of harry potter fans out there, they are going to watch this.

This applies to all the other examples.  It's not an issue.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 11, 2016, 07:59:04 pm »

The series also has a bunch of plot holes and stuff that doesn't make sense. I don't think it has an amazing attention to detail.

It does have plot holes. I don't think that means that it doesn't have amazing attention to detail. I don't think they're the same thing; one is more about story construction, the other thing is about, well, details. And it's also very few plot holes given the scope of the story.

Although I tried to google it and don't want to hide it just because it backs up your case; here is what Rowling has said (in response to the people who cared about her skin color in the play) (on Twitter):
Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #517 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »

I'll accept the bet!

Given that Rowling tweeted this:

Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione 😘

It doesn't really sound like she even remembers that detail herself.

EDIT: Oh, you actually just posted this yourself. Didn't see it in the PPE while I was digging for the quote for some reason.

I think the harry potter series is a masterpiece

O-oh. Okay then.

On another note, how can people have not seen any plays? I'm not even super into plays myself, but I've still seen dozens of them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:14:37 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 11, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »

I'll accept the bet!

Well after finding that quote, I wouldn't make the bet anymore. I'd give it about 50% now, maybe a bit less -- she's already sold her soul, in my view, so I wouldn't put it past her to lie here.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 11, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »
+1

I love plays, I see plays all the time, who wants to talk about plays?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 11, 2016, 08:18:42 pm »
+1

I've mostly seen amateur plays and musicals.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 11, 2016, 08:44:52 pm »
+1

I saw Venus in Fur (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_in_Fur) by David Ives a few years ago.  It was one of my favorite things I've seen on stage.

I also saw Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Billy Crudup.  Very good.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:53 pm »
+1

I've mostly seen amateur plays and musicals.

Sometimes that's the best stuff.

I saw Venus in Fur (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_in_Fur) by David Ives a few years ago.  It was one of my favorite things I've seen on stage.

I also saw Waiting for Godot with Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Billy Crudup.  Very good.

:o super jealous
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:28 am »
+6

Ambassadoring the last province for the win
Using poor house effectively in a deck that can't trash coppers
Building up to a successful coppersmith megaturn
Even something as simple and mundane as KC/KC/Bridge/Bridge/Bridge

These are all fine plays that I respect every time I see.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2016, 05:35:50 am »
+1

To add fuel to the fire: Earthsea.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.