Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650352 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #475 on: March 11, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »

Here's the thing. If you write something that becomes as huge as Harry Potter, when you're done, you have three options. The first is to keep writing, but write other stuff. The second is to keep writing, but do HP stuff. The third option is to not write anymore.

Impressively, she's done both options 1 and 2.

- It's not actually written by her. It's just fanfiction that got her okay.

So?  How is that a problem?

- It seems like a stupid generic plot... Harry's Son struggles with his legacy... that has to be the least creative idea for a sequel. Also this much hype usually means a bad product.

This one I can at least see as reasonable.

- Hermione is played by a 46 year old black actress... That's just cheap. Hermione is not black.

This one, though... man, this is easily provable or not.  Please tell me what book and chapter (page numbers are going to be hard to sync) indicates Hermione's race.  Until then, Hermione's race is entirely up to the reader.  And since this is, as you note, fanfiction... well, you get the idea.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »
+1

Also, notably, in Jesus Christ Superstar, Judas was played by a black man in the well-known production, and also in the one I saw.  Real-life Judas, if he existed, was probably not black.

To be fair, both Jesus and Judas (assuming they existed) were almost certainly closer to the color of a typical African-American than the color of a typical white American.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »

Hmm?  Have you seen Jesus Christ Superstar?  I've only ever seen it taking place in Roman time.  (Though, the music is modernized.  And maybe the final number is ambiguous; I don't quite remember.)

I've seen three movie adaptations (one was a stage production that was turned into a movie and the other was made with a stage production in mind) and one stage adaptation (in Swedish). They were all modernized.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 11, 2016, 06:06:27 pm »

Five minutes ago I was carefully balancing which spells to use and how to have my Pirate smash the enemy most efficiently. Now I just opened up a battle by lobbing a cake at the enemy, having a cake thrown back at me and soon I might be summoning some kittens.

Bravely Second can be a strange RPG.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:17:11 pm by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 11, 2016, 06:08:16 pm »

Hmm?  Have you seen Jesus Christ Superstar?  I've only ever seen it taking place in Roman time.  (Though, the music is modernized.  And maybe the final number is ambiguous; I don't quite remember.)

I've seen three movie adaptations (one was a stage production that was turned into a movie and the other was made with a stage production in mind) and one stage adaptation (in Swedish). They were all modernized.

Ah, okay.  I see what you mean.  I think it still 'takes place' in Jesus' time, but with intentional anachronisms for style.  Maybe to emphasize the idea that, if he was around now, he'd be a pop idol.

But okay.  I don't remember if the live performance I saw had this (guns and stuff).  I don't remember it.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 11, 2016, 06:09:57 pm »

Ah, okay.  I see what you mean.  I think it still 'takes place' in Jesus' time, but with intentional anachronisms for style.  Maybe to emphasize the idea that, if he was around now, he'd be a pop idol.

But okay.  I don't remember if the live performance I saw had this (guns and stuff).  I don't remember it.

I think my point still stands. There are various "settings" being used. And people don't really complain about it. ;)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 11, 2016, 06:14:52 pm »

I think my point still stands. There are various "settings" being used. And people don't really complain about it. ;)

And, well, while we're at at it, real life Jesus wouldn't have been Caucasian.~

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 11, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
+2

Oh, I didn't except everyone to disagree with me on the Hermione issue.

I think it's super, extremely lame and cheap because it implies that she's been black all along and it has not been mentioned. Look, I know you want to preach equality, but Hermione just is. not. black. She's one of the main characters. It would have been mentioned at some point.  Even the wiki says she's not black.

And the book series has actually already been preaching equality for various groups

- Dumbledore is meant to be gay, which if you didn't know I'm sure will immediately make a lot of sense
- Angelina is black. I'm pretty sure it's briefly mentioned, but most people don't remember it. She's described as pretty, liked by everyone, etc
- The whole blood status issue is quite reminiscent of the Holocaust-- Hilter is actually quite similar to Voldemort; they are both the leaders of a group that hates on a minority and promotes a certain group that's the opposite while they themselves are not even part of that promoted group.
- The whole house elves thing, and the issues with other races in the seventh book, all about oppression and slavery.

See what all of these have in common? They're subtle, and they all make perfect sense. Hermione being black is incredibly bland and dumb pandering.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 11, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »
+1

- It's not actually written by her. It's just fanfiction that got her okay.

So?  How is that a problem?

Because I remember her saying in an interview that she will never allow other authors to continue the harry potter universe, because harry potter is hers and only she understands him.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 11, 2016, 06:35:59 pm »
+3

It isn't an issue of equality, it's just that it is completely unnecessary to match ethnicity of a stage actor with his or her character.  It's a bit presumptuous to assume that not doing so is pandering.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 11, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »

And the play is set years after HP7 so the age is fine...

Well, they say it's 19 years, so she'd most likely be 37. But okay, sure, a nine year difference isn't a big deal, nevermind the age.

And I was under the impression that the race of Hermione was up for interpretation in that it was never specifically stated.

Wouldn't Harry's be too, then? Actually, if Harry was black, I could respect it more-- at least that's making a real statement, and it's bold.

The school is in London. Other countries have their own schools. You would assume white unless stated otherwise, and it has been stated otherwise for other characters.

It isn't an issue of equality, it's just that it is completely unnecessary to match ethnicity of a stage actor with his or her character.  It's a bit presumptuous to assume that not doing so is pandering.

Come on, all the fans have imagined how the characters look like. It's not like you don't have the money to try to be authentic.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 11, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »

Ian McKellen's Richard III, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, and Ethan Hawke's Hamlet are all examples of plays adapted into movies that aren't set in the same time as the original.

It's really not that odd at all for a play to be "modernized" or whatever you want to call it.  It generally irks me, but there are good ones (like those I mentioned).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 11, 2016, 06:44:43 pm »

Come on, all the fans have imagined how the characters look like. It's not like you don't have the money to try to be authentic.

It's not being unauthentic at all.

There are gobs and gobs of gobs of examples.  One of the big Eponine's in a Les Mis production wasn't white, for instance. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 11, 2016, 06:45:06 pm »

Harry, Ron, and Hermoine at least have all been on official covers for the books -- doesn't that officially answer the skin color question?

I mean, she used ethnic names when she wanted to emphasize something (Cho, Patel, etc.).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:26 pm »

Harry, Ron, and Hermoine at least have all been on official covers for the books -- doesn't that officially answer the skin color question?

... yeah, duh. Great point.

@WW if you're saying that it's normal for plays or something... well I don't know about plays. Doesn't make it less lame, though.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 11, 2016, 06:48:11 pm »

Oh, I didn't except everyone to disagree with me on the Hermione issue.

I think it's super, extremely lame and cheap because it implies that she's been black all along and it has not been mentioned. Look, I know you want to preach equality, but Hermione just is. not. black. She's one of the main characters. It would have been mentioned at some point.  Even the wiki says she's not black.

All it "implies" is that she might as well be. I don't see how this is an issue? She's not stated as either dark or light skinned. Apart from that quote that the wiki use as source for her "pale skin" description. I'm sure Rowling "intended" her to be light skinned. But does that matter? I don't think casting a non-UK person to play any of the roles would matter either.

Since I've watched the movies, I imagine Hermione to look like Emma Watson. That means anyone that isn't her is "looking wrong".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:22 pm »
+2

... yeah, duh. Great point.

@WW if you're saying that it's normal for plays or something... well I don't know about plays. Doesn't make it less lame, though.

It is not at all lame, in any way whatsoever.  You don't have an argument here.

You could say something, like, if race is central the story then we try to match races, but for something like this it completely, 100%, does not matter at all.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 11, 2016, 06:52:18 pm »
+4

The problem here is that you're assuming this production cast this actress because she was black (unless you have something to support this?), and not because she was simply the person they wanted for the part for her abilities as an actress.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:49 pm »

The problem here is that you're assuming this production cast this actress because she was black (unless you have something to support this?), and not because she was simply the person they wanted for the part for her abilities as an actress.

Leontyne Price is the best example of can think of to support your argument.

She's been every major opera soprano ever.  Madame Butterfly was not black, but it didn't matter.  Price had those roles based on her incredible voice.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 11, 2016, 07:04:29 pm »

Okay, to end this discussion about what skin color she really has - it actually is stated in the books.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter 21 : "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree."

(See? Subtle! I'm sure this has been intentional.)

Yes, I do. But even if that were not the case, it'd still be lame. It's inauthentic by the definition of the word.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 11, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »
+4

Okay, to end this discussion about what skin color she really has - it actually is stated in the books.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, chapter 21 : "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree."

(See? Subtle! I'm sure this has been intentional.)

Yes, I do. But even if that were not the case, it'd still be lame. It's inauthentic by the definition of the word.

No, you're prescribing inconsequential characteristics as important.  By your logic every character portrayal is inauthentic.  Should we cripple an actor to play a cripple?  I saw Dracula on the stage once, and I swear that dude wasn't really from Transylvania.  Come to think of it, I don't think he was really a vampire!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 11, 2016, 07:08:10 pm »

Must be those god damned anti Vampire lobbyists again.  Disgraceful. 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 11, 2016, 07:14:33 pm »

Should we cripple an actor to play a cripple?
No, but you should make him look like a cripple and do things like a cripple.

I saw Dracula on the stage once, and I swear that dude wasn't really from Transylvania.  Come to think of it, I don't think he was really a vampire!
No, but they tried to make him look like a vampire, and act like a vampire.

Do you think appearance is inconsequential? If you don't think that, then skin color is not inconsequential. White people look very different from black people - they have a different skin color.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 11, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »

Should we cripple an actor to play a cripple?
No, but you should make him look like a cripple and do things like a cripple.

I saw Dracula on the stage once, and I swear that dude wasn't really from Transylvania.  Come to think of it, I don't think he was really a vampire!
No, but they tried to make him look like a vampire, and act like a vampire.

Do you think appearance is inconsequential? If you don't think that, then skin color is not inconsequential. White people look very different from black people - they have a different skin color.

And what part of Hermoine's character relies on the color of her skin?

But it's a separate point; even if her skin color *did* matter, it's not necessary for the actor to share this skin color; only for it to be portrayed.  When you're watching a play, you do the imagining yourself.  You suspend disbelief and let the production fill your imagination.  Have you ever actually seen a play before?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.