Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650322 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #450 on: March 10, 2016, 07:35:18 pm »

I dunno, Windows is a pile of crap.

Windows 10, sure. But 8.1 is absolutely amazing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 10, 2016, 07:44:31 pm »
+1

I dunno, Windows is a pile of crap.

Windows 10, sure. But 8.1 is absolutely amazing.
Windows xp is really where it's at.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 10, 2016, 07:52:45 pm »

Hey, I don't think Windows 10 is that bad...  It's what I have at the moment.

Anyway, for me, Windows > Linux > Mac
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »

Windows xp is really where it's at.

I see you are not the only one with experience (XP) on that interface.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:40 pm »

aren't most linux distributions free?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #455 on: March 10, 2016, 08:18:38 pm »

Hey, I don't think Windows 10 is that bad...  It's what I have at the moment.

Well, it's not that bad for everyone, it just has some serious issues for anyone who wants to do anything confidential or shady. In 8.1, those same issues only exist in a couple of updates that you can manually delete.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2016, 01:08:48 pm »

The nearby barcade has a deal on Fridays where the first 100 people get 20 free tokens. They normally open at 3, and I get off work at 3. It's perfect. This month, they're opening at 11 because of a basketball thing.

Now I have to decide if I want to take a lunch break at 11 to go get tokens. They serve pizza, so I could actually eat there. It's actually not bad.

I think you've already decided.

Indeed I did. Fun lunch break. We had to wait for the pizza to be cooked since the place doesn't normally open at 11. But I got in a lot of pinball. It's amazing how many free credits sit on those machines overnight. I got in three games of Indiana Jones, a game of Attack from Mars, and a couple games of Iron Man. I started playing some South Park, but it's not my favorite game. It had 14 credits still on it when I left it.

Video games are so much cheaper now that I'm an adult.
A man has no signature

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »

Found out Fallout 4 has a stealth reference to Fallout: Equestria, which is pretty cool. (If it's not intentional, it's a very strong coincidence.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2016, 05:01:02 pm »

Anyone heard of this? Rowling is thoroughly selling out. Sad.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2016, 05:14:37 pm »
+2

Here's the thing. If you write something that becomes as huge as Harry Potter, when you're done, you have three options. The first is to keep writing, but write other stuff. The second is to keep writing, but do HP stuff. The third option is to not write anymore.

If you write other stuff, people will ALWAYS compare it to HP. Some might even ask why she'd write other stuff when there's still a lot of HP to explore. If she writes HP stuff, she's a sellout that just want to milk the franchise. And if she stops writing... Well, she's not really an active writer anymore. It's easy to say you should quit when you're at your peak, it's a whole different story actually doing it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2016, 05:24:25 pm »

Here's the thing. If you write something that becomes as huge as Harry Potter, when you're done, you have three options. The first is to keep writing, but write other stuff. The second is to keep writing, but do HP stuff. The third option is to not write anymore.

If you write other stuff, people will ALWAYS compare it to HP. Some might even ask why she'd write other stuff when there's still a lot of HP to explore. If she writes HP stuff, she's a sellout that just want to milk the franchise. And if she stops writing... Well, she's not really an active writer anymore. It's easy to say you should quit when you're at your peak, it's a whole different story actually doing it.

But I would actually be fine with her writing HP stuff. Here's what I'm not fine with

- It's not actually written by her. It's just fanfiction that got her okay.
- It seems like a stupid generic plot... Harry's Son struggles with his legacy... that has to be the least creative idea for a sequel. Also this much hype usually means a bad product.
- Hermione is played by a 46 year old black actress.

That's just cheap. Hermione is not black. HP has already plenty of anti-discrimination for various minorities, but it has always been done really smart and subtle.

I mean maybe it'll be good but ehhhhhh it seems so unlikely.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 11, 2016, 05:25:11 pm »

And she has actually written other stuff after HP -- I've not read it, though. I've heard that it's boring, but just from one source.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2016, 05:37:29 pm »

But I would actually be fine with her writing HP stuff. Here's what I'm not fine with

- It seems like a stupid generic plot... Harry's Son struggles with his legacy... that has to be the least creative idea for a sequel. Also this much hype usually means a bad product.

That's just cheap. Hermione is not black. HP has already plenty of anti-discrimination for various minorities, but it has always been done really smart and subtle.

I don't understand the issue with race of an actor for a stage production (hell, I'm not sure even gender needs to match).  I wouldn't be bothered by it in a movie either, but maybe it's a bigger deal there, because a movie is supposed to do the job of immersing you a bit more.  But for a stage production, you're* doing more of the work of the immersion, and I don't see how the actor's physical traits really matter at all.

I also don't see what anti-discrimination or minorities has to do with it, or why it's cheap.  This seems like a completely unnecessary gripe tacked on.

*I mean, you the audience, as the person watching the play.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2016, 05:38:07 pm »

And she has actually written other stuff after HP -- I've not read it, though. I've heard that it's boring, but just from one source.

Plays are s***. I don't care about a play. I want to read the actual book when it comes out.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:51 pm »
+3

Plays are s***. I don't care about a play. I want to read the actual book when it comes out.

They are not; maybe you just haven't seen any good ones.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 11, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »

I haven't seen any. I didn't mean all plays were garbage, I just mean the obvious bad plays are garbage. Like, the Spiderman play. And the Harry Potter play.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 11, 2016, 05:43:05 pm »

I haven't seen any. I didn't mean all plays were garbage, I just mean the obvious bad plays are garbage. Like, the Spiderman play. And the Harry Potter play.

I don't know about Spider-Man play; maybe you mean the musical?  I might agree; I think musicals are a bit cheap in general, and that Spider-Man one seemed overly unnecessary.  This one may be, too.  (That being said, I'm a huge fan of some.) 

But you really can't make any criticism if you've never been to the theater.

Edit: Though this HP thing is apparently not a musical.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 11, 2016, 05:44:35 pm »

It isn't great, certainly. The Vacancy Place was decent but her Mystery Series under a pseudonym was dreadful.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 11, 2016, 05:47:11 pm »

I don't know about Spider-Man play; maybe you mean the musical?  I might agree; I think musicals are a bit cheap in general, and that Spider-Man one seemed overly unnecessary.  This one may be, too.  (That being said, I'm a huge fan of some.) 

But you really can't make any criticism if you've never been to the theater.

Edit: Though this HP thing is apparently not a musical.

I like Shakespeare, actually.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 11, 2016, 05:48:44 pm »
+2

And I was under the impression that the race of Hermione was up for interpretation in that it was never specifically stated. Even if she didn't have a black girl in mind when she was writing it that doesn't mean the character can't be black when a person is reading it. If she had specifically said she was of Caucasian decent that might be a different story.

And no one through a fit when Denzel Washington played Don Pedro in Shakespeare's "Much Ado about Nothing" where the first actor to play him was almost certainly not black. Race is very much up to interpretation in theater.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 11, 2016, 05:52:06 pm »
+1

1. Is that true?  The page you linked says she was part of the writing process.  In any case, there's nothing inherently wrong with fan-fiction.
2. Synopses are always vague and generic.  There's no telling what the plot will actually be like based on the description here.
3. Was Hermione's race ever specified in the books?  I'm betting it wasn't.  And the play is set years after HP7 so the age is fine...

She published it under a pseudonym and it was OK.  Then it was leaked and people made a big deal about it, compared it to Harry Potter and generally clamoured for more Harry Potter.

Seems a bit premature to say that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 11, 2016, 05:52:51 pm »

And I was under the impression that the race of Hermione was up for interpretation in that it was never specifically stated. Even if she didn't have a black girl in mind when she was writing it that doesn't mean the character can't be black when a person is reading it. If she had specifically said she was of Caucasian decent that might be a different story.

And no one through a fit when Denzel Washington played Don Pedro in Shakespeare's "Much Ado about Nothing" where the first actor to play him was almost certainly not black. Race is very much up to interpretation in theater.

I think it doesn't even matter, even if it is not up to interpretation.  I wouldn't have an issue of a white actor portraying a slave* in a play, an adult portraying a child, etc.  As long as the portrayal is believable.  I mean.. you, in the audience, do the imagining yourself.  There are props and scenery, but it's really pretty minor.  The actors (and, really, the script) bring these things to life.  Race just doesn't matter.

*Edit: So here I mean a black slave in, say, colonial America.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:54:23 pm by Witherweaver »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 11, 2016, 05:53:24 pm »
+1

Oh, wow. There's not even a book. It's literally JUST A PLAY. Count me out, I'll just read the plot on Wikipedia or something. And it's two parts, which means double the ticket sales. Not impressive.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 11, 2016, 05:55:34 pm »
+1

I didn't know this. But it says it's based on "A new story by Rowling and some other people". So it can't be she's not involved? Also, I think this is MUCH better than the Fifty Shades of Grey scenario.

So a chosen orphan boy living with his evil aunt and uncle finding out he has magical powers and is supposed to battle the darkest and evilest lord ever isn't?

Err... I may be misremembering, but I think she's pretty much only described as a girl with unruly kind of curly dark hair and weird teeth. Either way, I'm pretty sure she isn't explicitly mentioned as caucasian/white. I mean, she could be of Indian descent for all I know. Also, even if she was, I don't think this is or should be an issue. I mean Jesus Christ Superstar is traditionally set in a more modern era. And usually Jesus is said to have lived a long time ago.

I think it could be good, it could also be bad. I'll wait and see. Worth noting is that I'm not a huge HP fan. I think they are a decent read (most of them anyway) and the films are probably worth watching.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 11, 2016, 05:57:42 pm »

Err... I may be misremembering, but I think she's pretty much only described as a girl with unruly kind of curly dark hair and weird teeth. Either way, I'm pretty sure she isn't explicitly mentioned as caucasian/white. I mean, she could be of Indian descent for all I know. Also, even if she was, I don't think this is or should be an issue. I mean Jesus Christ Superstar is traditionally set in a more modern era. And usually Jesus is said to have lived a long time ago.

Hmm?  Have you seen Jesus Christ Superstar?  I've only ever seen it taking place in Roman time.  (Though, the music is modernized.  And maybe the final number is ambiguous; I don't quite remember.)

Also, notably, in Jesus Christ Superstar, Judas was played by a black man in the well-known production, and also in the one I saw.  Real-life Judas, if he existed, was probably not black.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:59:15 pm by Witherweaver »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.