Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650600 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #325 on: February 18, 2016, 04:25:21 pm »

I had a really bad first time blood giving experience and never went again.

As someone who works for a laboratory company that has "an arm" (Ha! Get it) in the blood donating/banking business I would strongly encourage you to give it another go.

Every day I hear a report that the hospital we supply product to is critically low on blood and platelets and it is a stretch to get these products to the critical ill patients that need them. And I know that many other hospitals around the country (at least in the US) are in the same situations.

All of that is if you can stomach to go of course. If the thought of it upsets you so much that you might faint or hyperventilate or vomit the phlebotomist probably wont' accept your blood anyways.

I would guess that I have given around 50 times (approximately every 8 weeks since I was 18) and probably had a "bad experience" in maybe two or three of them. Unfortunately phlebotomy isn't an exact science and doesn't pay well.

But at least they give you cookies!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 18, 2016, 04:30:22 pm »

I tried giving blood when I was 18 when they came to my high school. They had problems, and it put me off giving blood. I didn't even try again for a long time.

I think I finally gave it a try at work sometime in my late 20s. I'm actually sad I didn't give it another try sooner. Today's experience truly sucked, but the staff is varied enough that it's not common.
A man has no signature

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 18, 2016, 04:40:18 pm »

My parents were in Ukraine during Mad Cow disease, so that might disqualify me. It disqualifies them, at any rate.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 18, 2016, 05:23:59 pm »
+1

I get terribly nauseous around blood, talking about anatomy, etc. and have a given blood...once. And because a friend talked me into it. It was a pretty freaky experience and am unlikely to do it again, so mad props to anyone who consistently donates blood because you're a whole lot braver than I am.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 18, 2016, 05:42:02 pm »

I lived in Russia for two years so they won't let me give blood for a while. The one time I tried, I passed out before they could get me to the chair so I've never been too excited to do it again

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: February 18, 2016, 06:01:25 pm »

My parents were in Ukraine during Mad Cow disease, so that might disqualify me. It disqualifies them, at any rate.

What does Ukraine have to do with Creutzfeldt-Jacob/Mad Cow ? The one they always ask about is Great Britain. And they only ask if you were there, not your parents (at least in France).

Been giving blood very regularly for about three years, never had a bad experience. Aside from the fact that giving platlets is a bit uncomfortable, which I often do since they often need it and many people are ineligible/unwilling because it takes up a lot more time and, well, it's uncomfortable.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 18, 2016, 07:02:36 pm »

In Germany, mad cow disease was referred to as BSE. I was very proud of knowing that it stood for "Bovine spongiforme Enzephalopathie", and that this means spongeformed brain in cows.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 18, 2016, 07:39:51 pm »

I don't know how it is in the US, but in Canada you can't give blood if you've spent more than 5 years in Europe before 2007, because of mad cow disease. Or if you've spent 3 or more months in the UK during the epidemy.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 18, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »

Prion diseases will probably destroy the human race eventually anyway.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:58 am »
+4

I have never noticed how fun it is to watch people eat salad.  They try so hard to get food on their fork, then they get one tiny thing on their fork and just give up and take a bite.  It's the most entertaining thing ever.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2016, 01:40:17 am »

I don't know how it is in the US, but in Canada you can't give blood if you've spent more than 5 years in Europe before 2007

That's insane.

Though I suppose the same could be said about the whole "living in Britain at a certain time", since I've gotta assume giving blood in the UK has more lax rules, otherwise basically no one there over the age of 10 would be able to give.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2016, 11:32:10 am »
+5

I have never noticed how fun it is to watch people eat salad.  They try so hard to get food on their fork, then they get one tiny thing on their fork and just give up and take a bite.  It's the most entertaining thing ever.

Maybe you need to hang around people who know how to use a fork?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:11 pm »

That's why chopsticks are better.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2016, 12:03:03 pm »

You are an evil individual..

I enjoy that too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »

Woah, guys, we're veering off topic again, and I'm all out of pie charts.

[ img ]A Wascally Wabbit[ /img ]

How can we get off topic if we're talking about random stuff?

Hypothesis: the random stuff thread is a random walk.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2016, 12:14:27 am »
+4

Now I'm going to be self-conscious every time I eat in public. Jerk.
A man has no signature

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2016, 03:25:16 am »
+1

My cute degenerate friends shot a music video and I'm starring there. Check it out!

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 24, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »

My cute degenerate friends shot a music video and I'm starring there. Check it out!

You are the fish, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 24, 2016, 03:04:02 pm »
+1

You are the fish, right?

To some extent we all are

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2016, 03:44:31 am »
+3

The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »
+1

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2016, 08:48:46 am »
+4

My brain was hurting from reading a gaming post earlier this week. It was a fluff post asking if people prefer d20 or d100 (for the uninitiated, d20 refers to a 20-sided die and d100 refers to two 10-sided dice determining tens and ones [or there is literally a 100-sided golf ball die]). Since many gamers started with D&D and it uses a d20, they declared a fondness for that die. Not too surprising.

But then one guy said he prefers d20 because it's more random than the d100. I sputtered and explained that they're both random. There's no "more" about it. He elaborated that you're more likely to get a 7 or lower on a d20 than a 35 or lower on a d100 because of the d100's bell curve. To my credit, I managed to say that the d100 did not have a bell curve while not exploding. Mostly I was still trying to figure out what premise he was working with because he called it 2d10 (again for the uninitiated, that's two 10-sided dice added together). I found his terminology confusing because while I concur that 2d10 does have a bell curve, you can't get 35 with that. I mean, technically, you have a 100% chance of rolling 35 or lower on 2d10. So I really wanted to know what this guy thinks is being rolled before going all mathy on him.

Someone else beat me to the punch and explained the probability distribution. The original guy never responded back, which I read as him realizing the error and not pressing the issue. A part of me kind of hoped he clung to his original idea and tried to defend it, but that was just my asshole side wanting to get into an argument.
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:19 am »

For the record, I think both have merits. One is simpler while the other comes with a more precise scale. I hate the golf balls, though. Almost impossible to read the results. :S

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:11 am »

My brain was hurting from reading a gaming post earlier this week. It was a fluff post asking if people prefer d20 or d100 (for the uninitiated, d20 refers to a 20-sided die and d100 refers to two 10-sided dice determining tens and ones [or there is literally a 100-sided golf ball die]). Since many gamers started with D&D and it uses a d20, they declared a fondness for that die. Not too surprising.

But then one guy said he prefers d20 because it's more random than the d100. I sputtered and explained that they're both random. There's no "more" about it. He elaborated that you're more likely to get a 7 or lower on a d20 than a 35 or lower on a d100 because of the d100's bell curve. To my credit, I managed to say that the d100 did not have a bell curve while not exploding. Mostly I was still trying to figure out what premise he was working with because he called it 2d10 (again for the uninitiated, that's two 10-sided dice added together). I found his terminology confusing because while I concur that 2d10 does have a bell curve, you can't get 35 with that. I mean, technically, you have a 100% chance of rolling 35 or lower on 2d10. So I really wanted to know what this guy thinks is being rolled before going all mathy on him.

Someone else beat me to the punch and explained the probability distribution. The original guy never responded back, which I read as him realizing the error and not pressing the issue. A part of me kind of hoped he clung to his original idea and tried to defend it, but that was just my asshole side wanting to get into an argument.

Well, one could argue that a d10 is not a platonic solid and thus the results are not evenly distributed, right? In that sense, d20 is "more random" I think. That's why I prefer d20 to d10 anyway.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2016, 09:31:22 am »

So I really wanted to know what this guy thinks is being rolled before going all mathy on him.

1d10 + 10*(1d10) is a sum of independent random variables, "so by the central limit theorem is concentrated near its mean"?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.