Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650275 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »

I haven't really been in the main Dominion discussion part of the board much these last few days but it looks like there's been some kind of drama going on? A ton of locked posts and threads reaching 5+ pages in a day or two. What's happening, in short?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »
+5

I haven't really been in the main Dominion discussion part of the board much these last few days but it looks like there's been some kind of drama going on? A ton of locked posts and threads reaching 5+ pages in a day or two. What's happening, in short?

People were quoting from ongoing Mafia games. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2016, 06:37:34 pm »
+4

In short:  Drama, and you don't want to know more.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »
+2

A tangled web was weaved, but I will explain it as well as I possibly can. Keep in mind that I am quite the biased/influential individual.

In short, AdamH was frustrated because league moderators didn't want him to commentate the match, and apparently the personally insulted him by PM (this has not been confirmed and probably never will be). A lot of people sided with people other than Adam, which obviously made him more frustrated.

WanderingWinder then left the forum.
Then Schadd made his funny post about how there was nothing going on between him and assemble_me.
Then J Reggie made a nice, feel good post about how the forum was so great.
J Reggie's post was the only one that wasn't locked. 
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 17, 2016, 07:02:41 pm »
+5

I liked Kirian's explanation much better than RR's.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 17, 2016, 07:24:44 pm »
+5

I feel a lot more informed by Roadrunners, but Kirians seems like the better Respect whoring option, and IIRC that's the point of the Dominionstrategy forums anyway.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2016, 07:29:27 pm »
+2

I really wish people would not do that kind of thing. It's so rude.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:36 pm »

Me, too.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:00 pm »
+3

I feel a lot more informed by Roadrunners, but Kirians seems like the better Respect whoring option, and IIRC that's the point of the Dominionstrategy forums anyway.

It truly wasn't intended as respect-whoring, just not wanting the Random Stuff thread to get infected.  Not to mention the standard "If it's locked, stop talking about it elsewhere" forum etiquette.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2016, 08:01:45 pm »
+2

It truly wasn't intended as respect-whoring, just not wanting the Random Stuff thread to get infected.  Not to mention the standard "If it's locked, stop talking about it elsewhere" forum etiquette.

I don't think it's necessary to stop talking about locked threads elsewhere, as long as you don't start the same conversations again. We're talking about decline of civility, Gunpowder and KC being more skippable than people think all the time (or maybe around 90-93% of the time) and it never causes any problems.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:08 pm »
+2

I don't think it's necessary to stop talking about locked threads elsewhere, as long as you don't start the same conversations again. We're talking about decline of civility, Gunpowder and KC being more skippable than people think all the time (or maybe around 90-93% of the time) and it never causes any problems.
It never causes any problems because anyone who would disagree with you on those topics has been banned.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »
+1

Why be so afraid of having a discussion? It is the rudeness in discussions that's causing the problems, not the discussion itself - to me, I'd say discussing something is almost always better than not discussing it, just as a general life lesson.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2016, 08:07:40 pm »

It never causes any problems because anyone who would disagree with you on those topics has been banned.

I don't think anyone was banned due to decline of civility on Isotropic.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 17, 2016, 08:11:51 pm »
+4

That's why I was commenting on the popcorn post. I think that's the worst thing that you can possibly do in threads with high stake discussions, regardless of what they're about or who is right. All it does is showcase apathy towards other people's feelings, and I think encouraging it via upvotes is a massive mistake. Wouldn't this be a discussion worth having?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 17, 2016, 08:14:54 pm »
+1

That's why I was commenting on the popcorn post. I think that's the worst thing that you can possibly do in threads with high stake discussions, regardless of what they're about or who is right. All it does is showcase apathy towards other people's feelings, and I think encouraging it via upvotes is a massive mistake. Wouldn't this be a discussion worth having?
I fully agree with this. I would've hoped something like that wouldn't have been posted, I consider everyone on this forum quite mature (except RR, that guy is something else). I think posts like those contribute to the lockage of threads, which is obviously something we don't want, because threads are strictly better than non-threads.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #290 on: February 17, 2016, 08:21:02 pm »

You don't have to overthink it, it's just a popcorn post.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »
+4

I'm arguing that it hurts feelings of the people who are having the stakes in the discussion.

Maybe that's only the case for me, because I'm sensitive, but I don't think so. Neither Adam nor Stef upvoted any of the off topic posts.

And it's not like not doing it is a big loss, there is an entire rest of the forum to post jokes in.

I just... you know, I think most people, when they're upset about something, don't really want to see others having fun with that.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
+1

I agree with silver, but it's also really hard for me not to poke fun, which is why I've been writing and then immediately deleting a lot of posts lately.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:39 pm »
+8

Woah, guys, we're veering off topic again, and I'm all out of pie charts.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2016, 09:00:03 pm »
+1

I just... you know, I think most people, when they're upset about something, don't really want to see others having fun with that.

There is indeed nothing worse than that in those situations. Vaguely tolerable on the Internet, but I don't think anything gets me more worked up IRL.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2016, 09:16:10 pm »
+8

Here, have an emergency Venn diagram:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:27 pm »
+1

There is indeed nothing worse than that in those situations. Vaguely tolerable on the Internet, but I don't think anything gets me more worked up IRL.

I have done something like that in the past more than once. I don't enjoy the least bit to see smart people sling mud at each other. I do it to draw attention to the fact that they are offering a spectacle to onlookers, and to make them question whether that's what they really want to do (instead of calming down, trying to see the other's person perspective, or reaching a compromise, etc.).

Obviously it only works when it's clear you are being ironic, which is harder online...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2016, 09:28:51 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure my answer is correct.  People talked about ongoing games then the threads got locked. Explain that, Obama.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:48 pm »

How can we get off topic if we're talking about random stuff?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2016, 09:34:48 pm »
+1

I'm arguing that it hurts feelings of the people who are having the stakes in the discussion.

Maybe that's only the case for me, because I'm sensitive, but I don't think so. Neither Adam nor Stef upvoted any of the off topic posts.

And it's not like not doing it is a big loss, there is an entire rest of the forum to post jokes in.

Actually I like to think stuff like that breaks the tension when there is an argument/disagreement.  That's usually why I do it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.