Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650556 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2016, 03:25:13 pm »

Okay, a follow up question: What was Omer's offense/offenses that caused him to get banned? Sure, he wasn't the most polite person I've ever seen, but I think a ban was very cruel.
I don't remember, but maybe there are posts that were deleted.

Or maybe it had to do with private messages.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2016, 03:27:35 pm »

Someone tell me about why Goon Gardens got banned, and what happened. I don't want to read through 15 pages of content to figure it out.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2016, 03:29:36 pm »
+2

Someone tell me about why Goon Gardens got banned, and what happened. I don't want to read through 15 pages of content to figure it out.

I understand, given how short life is.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2016, 03:33:00 pm »
+1

Being very disrespectful when his point was countered and he gave estimates that were probsbly not accurate, frequent swearing and personal attacks on F.DS members, and he asked to be banned once or twice.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2016, 03:36:45 pm »

Good thing there's only 8 pages then!

Anyway, the best part starts around here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14521.200

He gets banned on the next page.

"Considering how short life is" and ridiculously specific percentage estimates (especially 90-93%) are references to that thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:38:17 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »
+4

When someone asks to be banned, the move is always to ban them. They can easily think of ways to make you wish you had.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2016, 04:04:24 pm »

classic proof by example

(the thread that is)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
+3

My rankings, then, would go:

Tonal languages such as Vietnamese and Chinese >>> French >>> German >>> English >>> Portuguese >>> Spanish >>> Italian >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Japanese.
You know Japanese is a mildly tonal language too, right? With regional and contextual variation, for the fun of it.

I would echo the mention of the Foreign Service Institute's Language Difficulty Ranking, measure by the amount of intensive training required to gain a limited working proficiency in a language. German is in Category 2, requiring 750 hours of study. Japanese is in Category 5, along with Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese and Korean, with 2200 hours of study required to gain working proficiency. And Japanese is considered one of the harder languages even *in* that category.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »

Good thing there's only 8 pages then!

Anyway, the best part starts around here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14521.200

He gets banned on the next page.

"Considering how short life is" and ridiculously specific percentage estimates (especially 90-93%) are references to that thread.

Well. That was quite something. I went in with an open mind, thinking maybe he was treated poorly or someone sparked him off to start replying badly. Instead I get someone who just seemed to get angry at and insult everyone, despite... being treated in a fairly civil manner. I'm wondering if he was trolling now, but that'd be some very subtle trolling if he was.

Edit: He was also moving the goalposts on what he was arguing as early as post 11, possibly even post 8.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:09:24 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2016, 06:36:30 pm »

first day of your women's studies class
"hello, class. i am professor anthony garboni, but you can call me tony garboni."
after the lecture is over you go up to him to ask a question
"hello, professor garboni?"
"please, that was my mother's name. call me tony garboni, as previously discussed."
you're the most excited you've ever been for a women's studies class
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:41 pm »

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/knights-of-pen-and-paper-2-goes-looking-for-dragons/

This entire post looks like news about a game, but it's really a long list of references to Alan Rickman.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2016, 05:02:54 pm »
+8

There's a special place in Hull for the inventor of autocorrect.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:24 am »
+2

So because I'm feeling pedantic, I offer up for discussion a riddle I saw posted on Facebook. As it's supposed to be tricky, I suspect I'll see it making the rounds. 

As I recall, the riddle says that there is a fish tank with 10 fish.
Two fish drowned
Four fish swam away
Three fish died

How many fish are left?

[thinking gap, but I propose there is no single right answer so don't think too hard on this]

The "correct" answer is all ten are left. The reasoning is that fish can't drown, there's no place for fish to swim to, and the dead fish are still in the tank.

Okay, so I can accept the dead fish still being there. Saying how many are left implies surviving fish, but that's semantics. Obviously, people need to define what is meant by "left."

I can see the attempted trickery with fish not being able to drown, but fish can totally suffocate due to lack of oxygen in the water. And one definition of drowning is to die of suffocation while under liquid. This definition can get tricky, as it's generally understood that an air-breathing animal drowns by having fluid in its lungs, which causes the suffocation. It depends on how contrary you want to be. Someone could state whether a fish can technically drown, and someone else could come up with a viable argument for the opposite.

But I must say that the away part is unequivocally bullshit. The premise says nothing about the state of the tank. Are there exit tunnels? Is it submerged in a lake? Can fish successfully jump out of the tank? There is no indication that the tank is escape-proof. So you cannot say that there is no place for the fish to swim to if the premise itself specifically says that the fish swam away. You're contradicting the premise, which makes for a lousy riddle. It's the equivalent to asking what has four legs, flies, and barks—a dog; I lied about it flying. Okay, that contradiction is done for humorous effect because it's such a short riddle. It does not work here.

There's also the point that the two drowned fish could be grouped in with the three dead fish, so if you were to ask how many surviving fish remained, one could answer one or three.

Fortunately, I did not fall for this riddle, but it's hard to say that anyone truly fell for it since the answer I saw violates the premise as well the definition of drowning. I raised an eyebrow at the drowning part, so I had to look up whether fish can in fact drown. But it was the part of fish leaving but apparently they can't leave that bugged me. Don't put it in the premise if you aren't going to count it.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2016, 11:01:04 am »

I'm pretty sure you could drown a fish. 

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2016, 11:27:29 am »

I'm pretty sure you could drown a fish.
you can drown a fish in a lot of non water liquids I think

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:53 am »

Yeah, there are some assumptions about drowning that don't take into account the definition.

I guess many people would define drowning as dying due to having water in lungs. In that case, no, you cannot drown a fish. But the definition I found that says drowning is suffocating while under a liquid would still count, though the method of dying is different for a fish versus a human. The human dies because of the water preventing the intake of air, so he suffocates that way, regardless of oxygen content. If a fish drowns, it's not because there is water there; it's because the oxygen content of the water is poor.

I'm happy with the definition I found, but I'm sure someone out there would dispute it. I would likely accept the definition given by a marine biologist.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:11 am »

Yeah, there are some assumptions about drowning that don't take into account the definition.

I guess many people would define drowning as dying due to having water in lungs. In that case, no, you cannot drown a fish. But the definition I found that says drowning is suffocating while under a liquid would still count, though the method of dying is different for a fish versus a human. The human dies because of the water preventing the intake of air, so he suffocates that way, regardless of oxygen content. If a fish drowns, it's not because there is water there; it's because the oxygen content of the water is poor.

I'm happy with the definition I found, but I'm sure someone out there would dispute it. I would likely accept the definition given by a marine biologist.

Basic definition of drowning is what you say, death caused by respiratory impairment from immersion in a fluid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drowning.  I think it's pretty standard despite what some average person on the street may say.  Water is only our common thing because, well, water is an abundant liquid here on earth. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »

Question:  mammals can "breathe" temporarily in a perfluorocarbon.  Would fish also be able to do so, or would they "drown" in an otherwise oxygen-rich environment?  (Ignore for a moment the density; fish would float straight to the surface in current PFCs.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2016, 05:25:12 am »
+1

Today I found out that when a forecast says "75% chance of rain", it doesn't mean "there is a 75% chance it will rain today." What it really means is "Given a uniformly random point in the city, the probability that point gets any rain today is 75%"

So for example, if there is huge storm covering half the city, and there is sunshine over the other half, then there's a 50% chance of rain in that city.

Somehow, I feel cheated, but after thinking about it more it's a reasonable reporting system. I'm not convinced it's the best one though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2016, 12:50:34 pm »

Today I found out that when a forecast says "75% chance of rain", it doesn't mean "there is a 75% chance it will rain today." What it really means is "Given a uniformly random point in the city, the probability that point gets any rain today is 75%"

So for example, if there is huge storm covering half the city, and there is sunshine over the other half, then there's a 50% chance of rain in that city.

Somehow, I feel cheated, but after thinking about it more it's a reasonable reporting system. I'm not convinced it's the best one though.

Eh, not quite.  By the time it's raining over half the city, the 50% forecast is far in the past.  Also note that the reality is that "75% chance of rain" really means "given the current conditions, decades of data placed into models suggest that rain will happen on 75% of days that are preceded by these conditions."

And it's not just uniformly over a single city; prediction down to the kilometer just isn't a thing yet.  More like "within 40 km of selected coordinates."  Only once the system actually starts producing rain will you get a forecast resolution under 5 km, and even then it's for 15-30 minutes in the future.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:33 pm »

And it's not just uniformly over a single city; prediction down to the kilometer just isn't a thing yet.  More like "within 40 km of selected coordinates."

Aren't "within 40 km of the selected coordinates" and "over a single city" not all that different, though?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2016, 01:15:32 pm »
+2

http://dogeweather.com/

totally accurate up to this one time I have used it thus far...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 02:14:48 pm »

And it's not just uniformly over a single city; prediction down to the kilometer just isn't a thing yet.  More like "within 40 km of selected coordinates."

Aren't "within 40 km of the selected coordinates" and "over a single city" not all that different, though?

Where do you live that single cities are that big?  There are half a dozen large (>50k population) within 40 km of me, and another twenty or more with >25k population.  In my old place (less urban), there were only about 10 cities of >25k within 40 km, but it was a much less urbanized area... and the entire city plus true suburbs only covered about a 15 km square...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2016, 02:32:09 pm »
+1

Where do you live that single cities are that big?  There are half a dozen large (>50k population) within 40 km of me, and another twenty or more with >25k population.  In my old place (less urban), there were only about 10 cities of >25k within 40 km, but it was a much less urbanized area... and the entire city plus true suburbs only covered about a 15 km square...

Here.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »
+1

Here.

Ah.  What you're calling a city is the size of of what we call a county.  The county I currently live in has a land area just about twice what Joensuu is... but 90% of it is uninhabited, and the 10% that's inhabited has 10 times as many people, divided among 20-ish cities, large and small.  Previously, I lived in a county about half the size of your city, with 90% of the people living in about a third of that area.

The largest city proper in the US is significantly smaller in area than your city.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.