Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650345 times)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Er: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 02:53:09 pm »

What kind of heretic uses capital letters in the general quadratic equation?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Er: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »
+6

When the coefficients are matrices.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 04:09:58 pm »

Oh, boy. Yeah, it's been a while since I've used matrices in proper equations.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Random Stuff
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »

Oh, boy. Yeah, it's been a while since I've used matrices in proper equations.

Now find the roots!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: Random Staff Part III
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »
+1

On a completely unrelated note, who is watching this year's AGDQ - Awesome Games Done Quick? I tend to plug it every year and it's almost over for this year, sure, but still has 2 more days to go and has raised just shy of $600,000 for the Prevent Cancer Foundation so far. If you want to watch awesome games getting completely ruined by extremely talented and experienced gamers - or even if you don't, since chances are you'll enjoy some of it anyway - go check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick for the stream directly

https://gamesdonequick.com/ for their main site and the easiest place to donate.

I usually check out the TAS block afterwards.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 06:17:34 pm »

Specific VODs you may like:

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 (good commentary, a bit long if you've never played Kingdom Hearts though)
Crypt of the Necrodancer (Unseeded Coda runs. I've never played but it's supposed to be insane.)
Animorphs (an awful game, hilarious trainwreck)
Gimmick (short and crazy)
Blaster Master race (I've never played but it was reasonably entertaining and a close race.)
Battletoads (features a donation incentive to do the end of Turbo Tunnel blindfolded)
Kaizo Mario Bros 3 (full of "are you serious" moments)
Super Mario Maker blind relay race (super silly, super fun, recommend highly)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out BLINDFOLDED RACE (if you're going to watch anything, watch this)
Mirror's Edge (lots of speed tricks)
Paper Mario (lots of neat tricks. A bit long but it has lots of sequence breaking)
Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Blue glitch showcase (The glitch showcase is pretty great. Pokemon has lots of insane glitches, including ones that let you do arbitrary code execution)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:05:02 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »
+1

ash, what did you find hard to pronounce in German ? Aside from regional differences (like the final g, stuff like that), it's by far the most consistent language I know in terms of pronounciation. There are basically no silent letters, which makes it pretty straightforward.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:12 pm »

ash, what did you find hard to pronounce in German ? Aside from regional differences (like the final g, stuff like that), it's by far the most consistent language I know in terms of pronounciation. There are basically no silent letters, which makes it pretty straightforward.

Spanish is even more consistent than German, but yes, in general if you can pronounce it in German, you can spell it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2016, 12:03:51 am »
+3

So for my birthday my mom sent me a periodic table of elements rug from ThinkGeek.  The package slip had a message:

"If you're havin' code problems I feel bad for you son; I got 01100011 problems but a bit ain't one."

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2016, 05:21:43 am »

Versöhnungsgemeinde

A word like this is scary.  We don't use umlauts in English, for one, so I'm not sure what the o actually sounds like.   That's a lot of consonants in a row there in the middle.

If I was in a taxi, I'd try to break it down... versun - ungs - jem - indy.

Also, that odd letter in German that sort of looks like a fancy B but doesn't exist in English?  It's in a lot of street names (Straße) (I think it's part of the word for street, in fact).  I just say "straub" since that's what it looks like.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2016, 06:33:47 am »

Versöhnungsgemeinde

A word like this is scary.  We don't use umlauts in English, for one, so I'm not sure what the o actually sounds like.   That's a lot of consonants in a row there in the middle.

Also, that odd letter in German that sort of looks like a fancy B but doesn't exist in English?  It's in a lot of street names (Straße) (I think it's part of the word for street, in fact).  I just say "straub" since that's what it looks like.

What does that word even mean?

I mean, sure we have letters that other languages don't have, but it doesn't take a long time to memorize them I think... at least it's obvious. Other languages have letter combination that you have to memorize ("ge" in Italian, "ou" in Dutch). English doesn't even have any consistent phonetics. What usually makes German impossibleto learn for people isn't that, it's grammar.

As for pronounciation: ß is just a fancy s and is pronounced as in "mass". Ö is somewhat like "nerd".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 08:41:35 am »

Versöhnungsgemeinde

This is basically fare-son-ungs-geh-mine-deh.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 08:55:00 am »

ß is also just a shorthand for ss. Although I think there's certain cases where you do or don't use it, based on pronounciation. German speakers here can probably correct or expand on this, considering my German is extremely rusty and was never good to begin with (I only have a B at GCSE German and have barely used it for the last 7 years except for doing things like telling people "Ich esse tisch" or other similarly nonsensical phrases).

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 09:20:46 am »
+3

Versöhnungsgemeinde

Fun fact: "straightforward" actually has the same amount of consonants in a row in the middle. Plus three at the start.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:13 am »

We kind of do (or did) have the ß in English: it's ss where the first s is a long s.

I'm casually learning German on Duolingo.  Some of the phrases they're fond of seem a bit weird, but maybe that's to help them stick.  I can't imagine needing "Das ist nicht unsere Mutter!", and being constantly asked to repeat "Gemeinsam sind wir stark!" is frankly unsettling.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 10:13:57 am »
+1

The top of Valravn at Cedar Point is being installed right now. And I don't know the forum code to shrink the image.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:39:38 am by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 10:25:59 am »

Here's a better shot borrowed from another site:

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 10:30:04 am »

And I don't know the forum code to shrink the image.

I do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 10:37:55 am »

And I don't know the forum code to shrink the image.

I do.
thanks. I will edit my post.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 11:24:19 am »

Versöhnungsgemeinde

I mean, sure we have letters that other languages don't have, but it doesn't take a long time to memorize them I think... at least it's obvious. Other languages have letter combination that you have to memorize ("ge" in Italian, "ou" in Dutch). English doesn't even have any consistent phonetics. What usually makes German impossibleto learn for people isn't that, it's grammar.

As for pronounciation: ß is just a fancy s and is pronounced as in "mass". Ö is somewhat like "nerd".

I don't know what it means -- it's German.

I guess I should have clarified that it's a lot of consonants in a row that we don't put in a row in English.

If B = ss, how do you write a B?  If a German word has a double s, is it pronounced as a b?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:25:20 am by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2016, 11:38:55 am »

Versöhnungsgemeinde

I don't know what it means -- it's German.

I guess I should have clarified that it's a lot of consonants in a row that we don't put in a row in English.

If B = ss, how do you write a B?  If a German word has a double s, is it pronounced as a b?

It's not a B: it's (historically) a ligature of a long s and a normal modern s (which differ only typographically).  There was a spelling reform in Germany about 20 years ago, and lots of ß's were replaced by ss's.  It's no more confusing in practice than capital I and lower case l.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 11:41:05 am »

You know that weird-shaped s you see in old documents in English, like the Constitution, that looks a bit like an integral sign, or a fancy f with no cross?  Okay, now write a normal lowercase s right next to that.  Now connect their tops with a straight line down.

Now you have the German ss as it was printed in Fraktur style fonts.  It's not a B, it's just another character you have to memorize and is, if I remember correctly, entirely deprecated, no longer used in official documents etc.  It is exactly equivalent to "ss".
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 11:58:28 am »
+2

Now you have the German ss as it was printed in Fraktur style fonts.  It's not a B, it's just another character you have to memorize and is, if I remember correctly, entirely deprecated, no longer used in official documents etc.  It is exactly equivalent to "ss".

This part is not true. ß is still a character that is used officially, and it would be wrong to write "Strasse" instead of "Straße". ss in German implies that the vowel preceeding the ss is short, while ß (according to current spelling) implies that the preceeding vowel is long.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 12:53:44 pm »
+1

"-"; the hyphen, press the hyphen button on your keyboard. this is for things that you think of as 'hyphenated' (compound surnames, words that bunch together like seven-year-old)

"–"; the en dash, hold alt and press 0-1-5-0 on your numpad. this is for ranges, subtractions, and other things that don't feel like hyphens/em dashes. use your best judgement

"—"; the em dash, hold alt and press 0-1-5-1 on your numpad. this is for the grammatical usage—it indicates a longer pause that can sort of be a proxy for a colon, comma, or semicolon i think

("what is this, two days ago?"
–you, the reader)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:20:09 pm by schadd »
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2016, 01:00:32 pm »

"-"; the hyphen, press the hyphen button on your keyboard. this is for things that you think of as 'hyphenated' (compound surnames, words that bunch together like seven-year-old)

"–"; the en dash, hold alt and press 0-1-5-0 on your numpad. this is for ranges, subtractions, and other things that don't feel like hyphens/em dashes. use your best judgement

"—"; the em dash, hold alt and press 0-1-5-1 on your numpad. this is for the grammatical usage—it indicates a longer pause that can sort of be a proxy for a colon, comma, or semicolon i think

("what is this, two days ago?"
–you, the reader)

Still useful.

I'll still do quick-and-dirty for my notes. I reserve punctuation precision for more detailed documents.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 21 queries.