Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650294 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Random Stuff Part III
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:59:35 am »

As much fun as it is to keep a long topic going, I was trying to search for a video I posted in the Random Stuff II thread, but showing all 230 pages kept choking my browser. So it's clearly gone on too far.

My random observation: When I write the date range of this work week in American format, I write it as 1/4-1/8. My mind really wants to correct the range to 1/8-1/4. It kind of drives me nuts. It'll be better when this week is over. While 1/11-1/15 would also be mathematically improper to write as a range, I don't see those fractions as often, so my brain doesn't try to fix it.
A man has no signature

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:45:00 am »
+1

My random observation: When I write the date range of this work week in American format, I write it as 1/4-1/8. My mind really wants to correct the range to 1/8-1/4. It kind of drives me nuts. It'll be better when this week is over. While 1/11-1/15 would also be mathematically improper to write as a range, I don't see those fractions as often, so my brain doesn't try to fix it.

You just need to free your mind from needless orderings; 1/4 - 1/8 expresses the same range as 1/8 - 1/4. The fact that we seem to always order from lowest to highest is an arbitrary construction.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:36:51 am »

As much fun as it is to keep a long topic going, I was trying to search for a video I posted in the Random Stuff II thread, but showing all 230 pages kept choking my browser. So it's clearly gone on too far.

See, it should really be an en-dash, 1/4--1/8.  Otherwise it's indistinguishable from 1/4-1/8 = 1/8. 

Also, why do you want 1/8--1/4 over 1/4--1/8? 

Edit: Oh, I see, because you want [a,b] with a < b. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 10:42:30 am »

I also sometimes look at that date range and think, "Yep, the answer is 1/8."

A dash would be more appropriate, but for quick-and-dirty ranges, I just use a hyphen.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:44:17 am »

A dash would be more appropriate, but for quick-and-dirty ranges, I just use a hyphen.

And a community of typesetters quietly screams in agony. 

Really, I much prefer to say Jan 1--Jan 8.  I hate that the default of spreadsheets is to adopt an mm/dd/yy (or even dd/mm/yy) representation to display dates.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 10:46:14 am »
+1

Really, I much prefer to say Jan 1--Jan 8.  I hate that the default of spreadsheets is to adopt an mm/dd/yy (or even dd/mm/yy) representation to display dates.

Personally, my preferred format is 1 Jan - 8 Jan, but people here in the United States don't really feel it. I still use it when writing checks (lol, still a thing even in 2016) and signing paperwork. I don't tend to use it otherwise.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:48:18 am »

Personally, my preferred format is 1 Jan - 8 Jan, but people here in the United States don't really feel it. I still use it when writing checks (lol, still a thing even in 2016) and signing paperwork. I don't tend to use it otherwise.

I'm fine with either.  '8 Jan' and 'Jan 8' are equivalent for me to read, and obviously much better than '8/1' vs '1/8'.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:56:13 am »
+1

I use the 01 Jan 2016 format for just about everything even here in the US.  Haters gonna hate, but there are only three correct date formats:

01 January 2016
01 Jan 2016, for when you don't have enough space

Unix date is "correct" but rarely actually displayed because it's only readable by the computer.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:26 am »
+1

My favorite, usually seen on my employees request sheet, looks something like this:

M/D1-D2/Y

This was exciting to figure out during Q4 a few years ago.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:24 am »
+2

'8 Jan' and 'Jan 8' are equivalent for me to read, and obviously much better than '8/1' vs '1/8'.

Indeed, there is no confusion whatsoever with 8 Jan or Jan 8. Well, okay, if I type Jan 16, one could misinterpret that to mean January of 2016, so it's not perfect.

Kirian's dates are unambiguous. I sign my paperwork as 7 Jan 2016. When I label folders, I will use 20160107 because an alphabetical sort is identical to a chronological sort, and that's beautiful. I wrinkle my nose when people label folders as 01072016 because all the Januarys are clumped together. Also, that can be confusing when comparing it to the European format, but Jan2016 still has the problem of clumping together when sorting alphabetically.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:20 am »

Serves those little bastards right for snooping in my To-Do list on OneNote. GTFO, man.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
+3

My hobby: eating something, then checking the expiry date, "15Jan16", and wonder how the rest of the week is going to go.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:30 pm »

Random Stuff III. We didn't need this.

But since I'm posting here, I'll mine as well ask people why showing your work with basic math (basic to you, not me) is so important.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 12:35:32 pm »
+9

...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
+4

But since I'm posting here, I'll mine as well ask people why showing your work with basic math (basic to you, not me) is so important.

1) If you're just doing maths to pass your exam, you will get marks for working even if you get the final answer wrong. For example if it's a 4 mark question, and you do everything right but accidentally do 23 x 4 = 82 in your working, you'll almost certainly get 3 marks for it. If you just wrote 82 as your final answer, you would likely get 0.

2) If you're actually doing maths IRL, it makes it less likely you'll make a mistake as you're writing numbers down as you go, and that makes it more likely you won't forget a number as you go and might spot an error you were about to make.

3) If you do actually make a mistake, and get a final answer you know is incorrect (e.g. you're calculating the chance of getting some card draw in Dominion and calculate it as a 120% chance) you can go back and look at what you've done, making it much more likely you'll spot your mistake.

That's just three reasons off the top of my head.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 12:58:52 pm »

I have to do it just because it makes it so much easier to think when I don't have to worry about forgetting things (which is also why I always play Dominion with the VP counter).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 01:15:27 pm »

I use Excel the same way. I build formulas through multiple simple cells before I combine them to the final format I need.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

According to my choked browsers, II apparently went on too far unfortunately.

I use Excel the same way. I build formulas through multiple simple cells before I combine them to the final format I need.

I do that too. It makes it a little easier to update years later. I do like to combine formulas to avoid needless calculations, but it can be tricky to decipher a really long and convoluted formula.

Although I'm not sure that combining would reduce the calculations.

If you have IF(VLOOKUP(A1,A:B, 2)=2, TRUE, FALSE) in C1, then would that save processing time compared to having VLOOKUP(A1,A:B,2) in C1 and IF(C1=2, TRUE, FALSE) in D1? It seems the same number of steps, but is there a saving when the nested function is resolved within the main function?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »
+1

He just means that we don't need "Random Stuff III" because we have "KC is far more skippable than people think."

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
+1

You should have called the thread Random Stuff Part IV

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part IV
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 02:59:39 pm »

Sometimes I like to change the subject in the middle of a thread and see how many people reply to it and keep the new name going. Of course, it reverts back as people reply to the original, but it'd be amusing to see an uber-post that spawns all future posts with the new subject line.

I know not of this KC thread. I honestly only come here to read the non-Dominion stuff, which is weird because I can view non-Dominion stuff literally everywhere else.

But that may explain why Random Stuff II has been quiet lately.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 03:00:31 pm »
+2

Sometimes I like to change the subject in the middle of a thread and see how many people reply to it and keep the new name going. Of course, it reverts back as people reply to the original, but it'd be amusing to see an uber-post that spawns all future posts with the new subject line.

I know not of this KC thread. I honestly only come here to read the non-Dominion stuff, which is weird because I can view non-Dominion stuff literally everywhere else.

Ah, there's your problem right there.  You have to check the Dominion subforums to get the non-Dominion stuff.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Random Stuff Part V
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »
+1

You aren't missing much. It has become a meta-discussion about how we discuss things on F.DS.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 03:12:54 pm »

I know not of this KC thread. I honestly only come here to read the non-Dominion stuff

In that case, you should check it out because it's non-Dominion stuff.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »

I do that too. It makes it a little easier to update years later. I do like to combine formulas to avoid needless calculations, but it can be tricky to decipher a really long and convoluted formula.

Although I'm not sure that combining would reduce the calculations.

If you have IF(VLOOKUP(A1,A:B, 2)=2, TRUE, FALSE) in C1, then would that save processing time compared to having VLOOKUP(A1,A:B,2) in C1 and IF(C1=2, TRUE, FALSE) in D1? It seems the same number of steps, but is there a saving when the nested function is resolved within the main function?
We didn't need part II, either.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.