Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650470 times)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2825 on: September 19, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »

Man, 62 wpm, I apparently ma not nearly as good as I thought I was.  Then again, I don't touch type, well, sort of, I can touch type somewhat but it increases my mistakes a ton.  So my wpm is much higher working from my brain or from speech rather than from words presented on the screen.

I'm the same way.  I am much better when I'm able to know a little bit ahead of time what I'm going to type so it comes from my brain.  I don't read very quickly, so it is hard for me to get ahead when I'm typing something that is from the screen in front of me.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: September 19, 2017, 05:29:30 pm »
+2

I apparently ma not nearly as good as I thought I was.\
Apparently!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: September 20, 2017, 05:53:56 am »
+4

Passed 100 days without noticing.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »

Apparently!

Right, what the hell was that even?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: September 20, 2017, 01:07:52 pm »
+15

Apparently!

Right, what the hell was that even?

It's a classic Freudian slip. It's when you say one thing but mean a mother.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2830 on: September 21, 2017, 01:26:02 am »
+4

I had a pretty interesting dream just now. I wrote it down in a hurry as soon as I woke up so the writing isn't very polished. All of the characters in the dream except for myself were people that I came up with on the spot — as far as I can tell, I don't know any of them IRL, online, or from any fictional franchise. I feel like the dream had a lot of details that I already forgot.

I was at a boarding school of some kind, and there was this door that was normally closed and there was an electronic system that basically prevented people from ever opening that door. Then there was a student who was apparently been there, and he was completely freaked out by what he had seen there (but he wouldn't tell us what it was or anything else about the place) and he also said that he forgot something of his in there that he had to retrieve.

For a pretty long time, he tried to get the door open, but it didn't work out. Then one day, there was someone who apparently had access to the other side of the door who went in, and we (the student who had forgotten something, and me and my friend because we were just curious) just sneaked in while the door was open. There was this very strange security cam on the corridor on the other side of the door that basically looked like an eye attached to a very long mechanical arm, and the arm was moving and turning around and it was super intimidating. Also I really just wanted to see what was the big deal about that place so I just randomly peeked at a random room, and it was basically a normal classroom and there were students in there who were total strangers to us and not at all happy to see the student who had already been there and they started to get extremely hostile towards him, and they also made it pretty clear to us that we weren't supposed to be there either but they weren't particularly hostile towards us.

But obviously taking a look at the classroom didn't suddenly make the student find the thing that he had lost, so we got out of the classroom after he had basically begged for the students who were there to not hurt him and just let us leave, and kept searching for the lost item. As the search progressed, the student's behavior just kept getting fishier and fishier, and there was a point at which it started to look more like there was some evidence there that he wanted to destroy rather than an item that he wanted to retrieve. Then he found some photos from a drawer that was inside an empty classroom (I don't know what was in those photos), and then he just ran away and me and my friend left as well. It was pretty trivial to open the door from that side so we could get back to the normal parts of the school.

Then we started to see some of the students that we met on the other side of the door come to the regular parts of the school (even though we had never seen them there before) and confront the student that ran away with the photos. One of those students told me that Harvest is strictly better than Gold, but Gold is still better than Mountebank during that time. The student with the photos really just wanted them to stop and he tried all sorts of things to make it stop. In the meantime, me and my friend were puzzled by the other side of the door, because it was so strange that there could be a door that almost nobody could open, but that there were still students and classrooms on the other side. My friend also thought that the security cam was probably designed to be so intimidating that if someone accidentally got there, they would want to leave immediately.

Then the student with the photos suggested to us that we could switch rooms (as in the rooms that we slept in) because his room was almost right next to that door for some reason and he thought that if he was no longer in that room, that could help him with his issue with the students and stuff. So we agreed because we thought it could give us more information about the other side of the door. As it turned out, there were a lot of people who tried to get on the other side but they were all denied access — we saw and heard them constantly when we were in that room.

Then immediately the following night, I just randomly woke up in the middle of the night and the door was just blatantly open and the security cam wasn't being intimidating, so I thought I was probably welcome to go there and investigate. I went to the same classroom that I had previously peeked at, and there was a lecture going on and the room was full of students (some of which I recognized from the previous time I had been there) and there was a PowerPoint presentation about some super weird stuff. Nobody really paid any attention to me as I stuck around. Basically, at first, the lecture was about some unexplained serial killings that had occurred in the area, and then there was a wax animation about some super bizarre looking monsters and I think the implication was that those monsters were really behind the serial killings. One of the monsters had beige skin and it was living in a well and it had a jelly-like body. At first, I was startled by the monsters in the wax animation, but then I realized that it's probably a wax animation because there is no real footage of those monsters because they don't really exist, and then I was fine with it.

But the part about the monsters started to take really long, and it was being taught to us as though it was completely real, so I started to feel kind of uncomfortable again, so my attention was caught by a bucket of water with a string coming out of it. I couldn't see what was in the bucket, but I just pulled the string, and the string was pretty long and I kept pulling it until I saw something attached to it that basically looked like the arm of the monster that I described before (and I assume the rest of the creature was also in the bucket but I stopped pulling as soon as I saw that so I don't know whether or not that's the case) and then I just nope'd the fuck out of there. As I was leaving, the other students started to get angry at me because apparently I wasn't supposed to leave, and they were getting worried that I would tell other people about what I saw there (nobody ever told me that I wasn't supposed to do that in the first place) because I guess I wasn't considered to be reliable after I had gotten scared by the monster. Then the electronic system keeping the door closed made me swear that I wouldn't ever tell anyone, otherwise it wouldn't let me out. And that's when the dream ended and I woke up.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: September 21, 2017, 04:14:33 pm »

Great dream. Could have almost been from me.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:04 am »

90 WPM last I checked.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: September 22, 2017, 10:01:41 am »

Man I don't get people. I ask awesome questions on Tinder like "would you sacrifice me to the volcano gods in order to have your favorite food in infinite supply" and I don't even get a response.  :'(
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: September 22, 2017, 10:25:45 am »
+2

I would. If I had my favorite food in infinite supply, I could gain arbitrary amounts of money by selling it and do cool stuff with them.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2835 on: September 22, 2017, 10:50:57 am »

I would. If I had my favorite food in infinite supply, I could gain arbitrary amounts of money by selling it and do cool stuff with them.

So gaining lots of money is more important to you than ending world hunger?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 22, 2017, 12:59:02 pm »

I'm wondering what ramifications solving world hunger with an infinite supply of food would have on the world economy. If oranges are in infinite supply, how much would apples cost?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: September 22, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »

My company's deciding to allow us to carry over only 40 hours of personal time at the end of the year instead of 80. I'm not fond of this. I like having a strong buffer. It really helped me out one year when I was laid up for 2 weeks due to surgery. I got to use personal days instead of disability pay.

The rationale is that there is a perception that people aren't using their personal time enough. But if we have a hard cap of 80 hours anyway, then that argument doesn't hold since that only really applies the first year you start saving. If you start off with 80 extra hours and then carry over 80 hours at the end, then you're using just as much personal time.

I just like having a choice.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:40 pm »

I believe the only way to solve the economic problems in a post scarcity society is with a universal income.

In completely unrelated news and with many years of delay, #*%@& the bed of chaos.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:00 pm »

Man I don't get people. I ask awesome questions on Tinder like "would you sacrifice me to the volcano gods in order to have your favorite food in infinite supply" and I don't even get a response.  :'(

Way too in depth for tinder. Well, from what I hear, not from experience
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:41 pm »
+2

If it makes you feel better, I do not wish to murder you. I'm pretty okay with you being nonmurdered.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2841 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:51 am »

I got to shoot a WWII era Finnish Mosin-Nagant variant rifle today. It was a super interesting experience, but it was nowhere near as pleasant to shoot as the RK 62 tbh, for a multitude of reasons.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: September 23, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »
+2

My company's deciding to allow us to carry over only 40 hours of personal time at the end of the year instead of 80. I'm not fond of this. I like having a strong buffer. It really helped me out one year when I was laid up for 2 weeks due to surgery. I got to use personal days instead of disability pay.

The rationale is that there is a perception that people aren't using their personal time enough. But if we have a hard cap of 80 hours anyway, then that argument doesn't hold since that only really applies the first year you start saving. If you start off with 80 extra hours and then carry over 80 hours at the end, then you're using just as much personal time.

I just like having a choice.

It's not that the company wants you to take personal time. It's that employees having the hours banked is a liability, and the CFO would be happier if that liability were smaller.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: September 25, 2017, 08:03:27 am »

It's not that the company wants you to take personal time. It's that employees having the hours banked is a liability, and the CFO would be happier if that liability were smaller.

I believe you, but I don't know why this would be. Could you explain?
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: September 26, 2017, 08:06:47 am »

One person came in at 6:58. Another person came in at 7:04. First person asked the second if it is still raining--as if she didn't just come in from outside 6 minutes ago. That's so cute.

Makes me wonder if it's just small talk or an attempt to sound like she's been here longer than she has been.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: September 26, 2017, 04:01:12 pm »

With a literally infinite supply, why not both?  I mean, besides the fact that the infinite availability of that food would drive its price down.

I'm wondering what ramifications solving world hunger with an infinite supply of food would have on the world economy. If oranges are in infinite supply, how much would apples cost?

So you're literally comparing apples and oranges?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:45 pm »

It would be much worse for the company if everyone suddenly took two weeks off at the same time than if everybody suddenly took one week off at the same time.

It's worse for the employees of course, but finding a company that cares about employees is a bit of a grail.  Lots of companies accidentally turn on the grail-shaped beacon, but what you get to do with Zoot is the opposite of the movie.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: September 26, 2017, 04:27:37 pm »

It would be much worse for the company if everyone suddenly took two weeks off at the same time than if everybody suddenly took one week off at the same time.

I agree with this, but at least with my company, time off has to be approved, and there are policies in place to avoid having too many people off at once. Is this not typical with other companies?
A man has no signature

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:03 pm »
+3

Warning: I've had a little bit of finance training, but I'm not an accountant.

When you accrue PTO, the company accrues a liability equal to the equivalent of your wages for the time you're entitled to. (Examples: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/book-paid-time-off-accounting-32807.html, https://www.proformative.com/questions/accounting-for-pto ; googling for "accounting PTO" will turn up more). To my understanding, this is true even if your PTO can't be "paid out" as cash when you leave. So if lots of employees have 80 hours of personal time banked up, this shows up as a large liability. The only way to reduce it is to have employees take the time off, thus, the rule requiring that employees can't save as much.

Kirian's point about the risk of having all the employees take time off at the same time is interesting and possibly relevant, but as you point out, it can be mitigated by policy. But that policy doesn't change the accounting rules, which require that the liability be recorded. That's why I conjectured that the CFO, in particular, is the officer who'd care.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: October 01, 2017, 12:26:26 am »

My brother, during a job interview, was asked to find the best algorithm to find the looping point of a linearly linked list that loops back to some point in the middle (so it looks like a P).  The best that we can come up with is n2 time, with constant space, or n time with n space.  However, the person doing the interview claimed that he had n time with constant space.  Can any of you think of the answer?  My brother and I have been trying to think of something to no avail.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 20 queries.