Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 472866 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1500 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:09 pm »
+3

Argh. Friend of mine shares his Facebook account with his wife. It's creepy enough, but it is also confusing when both of them use it to communicate.

Husband posted about how the day needs a good drink.
Then wife commented with LMAO and how the post is interesting. And she misses him.
Then he comments on that he'll be home soon.

But these are all posted from the same account. I only know the husband started it because he signed his name. The others I had to extrapolate.

Which makes me wonder how he even saw her comment since Facebook alerts you to when someone else comments on your postónot your own. And is she ever going to see his comment to her comment?

I just don't get shared accounts, especially if both people will be using it. It'd be different if maybe he uses it all the time but just tacks her name on it because she can't be arsed to have her own account.
Logged
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6476
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7857
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1501 on: August 15, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
+4

Argh. Friend of mine shares his Facebook account with his wife. It's creepy enough, but it is also confusing when both of them use it to communicate.

Husband posted about how the day needs a good drink.
Then wife commented with LMAO and how the post is interesting. And she misses him.
Then he comments on that he'll be home soon.

But these are all posted from the same account. I only know the husband started it because he signed his name. The others I had to extrapolate.

Which makes me wonder how he even saw her comment since Facebook alerts you to when someone else comments on your postónot your own. And is she ever going to see his comment to her comment?

I just don't get shared accounts, especially if both people will be using it. It'd be different if maybe he uses it all the time but just tacks her name on it because she can't be arsed to have her own account.

Why don't you invite yourself out for a drink so you can talk about it?
Logged

silverspawn

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5006
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +2680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1502 on: August 15, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »
0

signature
ignatures
gnaturesi
naturesig
aturesign
turesigna
uresignat
resignatu
esignatur
Logged

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1503 on: August 15, 2016, 03:28:05 pm »
+5

Argh. Friend of mine shares his Facebook account with his wife. It's creepy enough, but it is also confusing when both of them use it to communicate.

Husband posted about how the day needs a good drink.
Then wife commented with LMAO and how the post is interesting. And she misses him.
Then he comments on that he'll be home soon.

But these are all posted from the same account. I only know the husband started it because he signed his name. The others I had to extrapolate.

Which makes me wonder how he even saw her comment since Facebook alerts you to when someone else comments on your postónot your own. And is she ever going to see his comment to her comment?

I just don't get shared accounts, especially if both people will be using it. It'd be different if maybe he uses it all the time but just tacks her name on it because she can't be arsed to have her own account.

Why don't you invite yourself out for a drink so you can talk about it?

I could probably score, too.
Logged
A man has no signature

Tables

  • Margrave
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2803
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3315
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1504 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:03 pm »
0

So, I had an idea for a board game not too long ago, and over the last two days I've fleshed it out to the point it's... almost playable? It would work nicely by forum as well. You can probably guess where I'm going here. It's a resource management/bidding game, should be a relatively short playtime. In short, the game takes place over 3 stages with 3 turns in each. Each turn everyone secretly bids simultaneously, then in order from highest to lowest bid buys a card, which might give more resource cubes, more income or other special effects. Stages 1+2 are mostly about setup, with stage 2 having stronger cards, while Stage 3 is mostly about converting those cards and cubes into points. Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

I'd say there's 98% chance it sucks or just isn't really fun to play, but just in case it's in the 2%... who wants to be the first PBF testers? I think it should work best with about 4 players although I'm planning for 3-6 players to work. If there's interest I'll maybe type the rules up into a workable format and get something going.
Logged
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

gkrieg13

  • Minion
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 509
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1505 on: August 15, 2016, 07:24:24 pm »
0

So, I had an idea for a board game not too long ago, and over the last two days I've fleshed it out to the point it's... almost playable? It would work nicely by forum as well. You can probably guess where I'm going here. It's a resource management/bidding game, should be a relatively short playtime. In short, the game takes place over 3 stages with 3 turns in each. Each turn everyone secretly bids simultaneously, then in order from highest to lowest bid buys a card, which might give more resource cubes, more income or other special effects. Stages 1+2 are mostly about setup, with stage 2 having stronger cards, while Stage 3 is mostly about converting those cards and cubes into points. Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

I'd say there's 98% chance it sucks or just isn't really fun to play, but just in case it's in the 2%... who wants to be the first PBF testers? I think it should work best with about 4 players although I'm planning for 3-6 players to work. If there's interest I'll maybe type the rules up into a workable format and get something going.

I would probably be willing
Logged

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1506 on: August 15, 2016, 07:35:15 pm »
0

So, I had an idea for a board game not too long ago, and over the last two days I've fleshed it out to the point it's... almost playable? It would work nicely by forum as well. You can probably guess where I'm going here. It's a resource management/bidding game, should be a relatively short playtime. In short, the game takes place over 3 stages with 3 turns in each. Each turn everyone secretly bids simultaneously, then in order from highest to lowest bid buys a card, which might give more resource cubes, more income or other special effects. Stages 1+2 are mostly about setup, with stage 2 having stronger cards, while Stage 3 is mostly about converting those cards and cubes into points. Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

I'd say there's 98% chance it sucks or just isn't really fun to play, but just in case it's in the 2%... who wants to be the first PBF testers? I think it should work best with about 4 players although I'm planning for 3-6 players to work. If there's interest I'll maybe type the rules up into a workable format and get something going.

I also could be talked into it. I have a hole in my life that only a PBF game can fulfill.
Logged
A man has no signature

mail-mi

  • Saboteur
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1296
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1355
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1507 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:39 am »
+1

So, I had an idea for a board game not too long ago, and over the last two days I've fleshed it out to the point it's... almost playable? It would work nicely by forum as well. You can probably guess where I'm going here. It's a resource management/bidding game, should be a relatively short playtime. In short, the game takes place over 3 stages with 3 turns in each. Each turn everyone secretly bids simultaneously, then in order from highest to lowest bid buys a card, which might give more resource cubes, more income or other special effects. Stages 1+2 are mostly about setup, with stage 2 having stronger cards, while Stage 3 is mostly about converting those cards and cubes into points. Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

I'd say there's 98% chance it sucks or just isn't really fun to play, but just in case it's in the 2%... who wants to be the first PBF testers? I think it should work best with about 4 players although I'm planning for 3-6 players to work. If there's interest I'll maybe type the rules up into a workable format and get something going.

I also could be talked into it. I have a hole in my life that only a PBF game can fulfill.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16061
Logged
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8689
  • Respect: +9178
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1508 on: August 16, 2016, 02:07:20 am »
0

Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

Somewhat controversial, but it should be noted that simultaneous decisions are arguably elements of luck.  It's like Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Your idea sounds a lot like 7 Wonders, except with drafting from a pool instead of from personal hands, and bidding for draft order -- especially the part about the 3 stages.  Only 9 turns total sounds rather short, but I guess it'll depend on the feel you're aiming for.
Logged

Tables

  • Margrave
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2803
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3315
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1509 on: August 16, 2016, 07:08:45 am »
0

Also, it's a low luck game (I'm not entirely sure yet whether to make it no luck besides setup... basically it's just a case of how many of the cards are revealed from the start of the game. I can have everything visible and make it no luck, only reveal cards at the start of the turn and make it quite reaction based, or something in between).

Somewhat controversial, but it should be noted that simultaneous decisions are arguably elements of luck.  It's like Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Your idea sounds a lot like 7 Wonders, except with drafting from a pool instead of from personal hands, and bidding for draft order -- especially the part about the 3 stages.  Only 9 turns total sounds rather short, but I guess it'll depend on the feel you're aiming for.

No, I agree. This was actually something I've been umming and aahing over, whether after each bid all other players in the round should re-bid, or just go with what ends up being the order, even if it's no longer what you want. The former has the advantage of giving players less of a "I got screwed by his bid" feel, while the latter has the advantage of being much quicker, and I'm aiming for more short game.

Regarding 7 Wonders, yeah the comparison is definitely there. 7 Wonders and TtA are two games that both have some loose elements in common.
Logged
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1510 on: August 16, 2016, 08:04:59 am »
0

I also could be talked into it. I have a hole in my life that only a PBF game can fulfill.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16061

My hole's not that big. I'm forbidden from playing Mafia PBF ever again.
Logged
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

  • Torturer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1760
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +775
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1511 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:39 am »
0

I also could be talked into it. I have a hole in my life that only a PBF game can fulfill.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16061

My hole's not that big. I'm forbidden from playing Mafia PBF ever again.

Really? I find Mafia to be the perfect game for letting me commit as much or little of my time and attention as I want on a given day. Also, no one is actually forbidden unless you mean you're whooped by your SO.
Logged
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Haddock

  • Minion
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 725
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1512 on: August 16, 2016, 09:55:47 am »
+1

I also could be talked into it. I have a hole in my life that only a PBF game can fulfill.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16061

My hole's not that big. I'm forbidden from playing Mafia PBF ever again.

Really? I find Mafia to be the perfect game for letting me commit as much or little of my time and attention as I want on a given day. Also, no one is actually forbidden unless you mean you're whooped by your SO.
Edge-case: reinoe.
Logged
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1513 on: August 16, 2016, 10:14:43 am »
+1

My hole's not that big. I'm forbidden from playing Mafia PBF ever again.

Really? I find Mafia to be the perfect game for letting me commit as much or little of my time and attention as I want on a given day. Also, no one is actually forbidden unless you mean you're whooped by your SO.

I've forbidden myself. I take such games far too seriously. I can't let myself get into that again. I'd rather have nice safe board games translated to forum posts. Something simpleólike Through the Ages.
Logged
A man has no signature

Seprix

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5607
  • Respect: +3664
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1514 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:03 pm »
0

Continuing my No Man's Sky trek. It's very fun. It's very easy so far, and a lot of the planets are practically the same (so far), which was my worry. There's a lot of stuff to do though. You can get better ships, rare items to build and travel even further (the 'storyline' is that you have to make it to the center of the Universe to meet what is speculated to be the God, Atlas). There are unique types of aliens, codes to crack, languages to learn, weird alien artifacts to uncover, trading with other aliens through an economy, and more. What is really lacking in this game is a multiplayer, but I've heard that will be coming one day.

But as to even the fears of the samey easyish planets, I hear that there are about 6 difficulty levels as you approach the center, and that it gets much weirder, harder, and with more interesting things as well. It'll be interesting.

My one gripe is that I absolutely suck with space combat. I cannot kill anything at all. Maybe my ship is just too weak. Oh yeah, I also can't scan birds to add to my collection. I have no idea how to get them. I've tried shooting them down, zooming in close, everything.
Logged
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6476
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7857
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1515 on: August 16, 2016, 01:04:08 pm »
0

I want to try this game.  But, also, it's like $60 and I don't have time to sit in front of the TV to play games :( . (Well, I do take time to sit in front of the TV, but that's currently for watching series that I follow or movies, of which I have quite a bit to catch up on.  I'd have to give up some of that time.  I also put Witcher III on the back shelf some time ago.  I'd like to finish that, but can't find the time.)
Logged

Seprix

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5607
  • Respect: +3664
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1516 on: August 16, 2016, 01:05:07 pm »
0

I want to try this game.  But, also, it's like $60 and I don't have time to sit in front of the TV to play games :( . (Well, I do take time to sit in front of the TV, but that's currently for watching series that I follow or movies, of which I have quite a bit to catch up on.  I'd have to give up some of that time.  I also put Witcher III on the back shelf some time ago.  I'd like to finish that, but can't find the time.)

It's on PC too. You could wait for a Steam Sale or something. I'm sure there will be one at like Christmas.
Logged
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6476
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7857
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1517 on: August 16, 2016, 01:13:48 pm »
0

I want to try this game.  But, also, it's like $60 and I don't have time to sit in front of the TV to play games :( . (Well, I do take time to sit in front of the TV, but that's currently for watching series that I follow or movies, of which I have quite a bit to catch up on.  I'd have to give up some of that time.  I also put Witcher III on the back shelf some time ago.  I'd like to finish that, but can't find the time.)

It's on PC too. You could wait for a Steam Sale or something. I'm sure there will be one at like Christmas.

I don't play any games on PC besides Dominion.  Actually, I currently only have a work laptop, as I gave my regular home laptop away.   I'm not too thrilled about PC gaming, because I don't really value spending the money on the right hardware.  Also, I have a PS4, so there's that.
Logged

pingpongsam

  • Torturer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1760
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +775
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1518 on: August 16, 2016, 01:22:18 pm »
0

There's too much space between the V and the second A. I was expecting it between the R and the first A and was happy it wasn't there but I did keep noticing a gap and there it is. You should fix that.
Logged
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

  • Torturer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1760
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +775
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1519 on: August 16, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »
0

Now that I really look it looks like another gap between the T and the third A.
Logged
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

  • Torturer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1760
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +775
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1520 on: August 16, 2016, 01:24:08 pm »
0

Yep, clearly 3 groups of 2. Would be way better with equal spacing throughout.
Logged
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Seprix

  • Adventurer
  • ******
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5607
  • Respect: +3664
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1521 on: August 16, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »
0

I want to try this game.  But, also, it's like $60 and I don't have time to sit in front of the TV to play games :( . (Well, I do take time to sit in front of the TV, but that's currently for watching series that I follow or movies, of which I have quite a bit to catch up on.  I'd have to give up some of that time.  I also put Witcher III on the back shelf some time ago.  I'd like to finish that, but can't find the time.)

It's on PC too. You could wait for a Steam Sale or something. I'm sure there will be one at like Christmas.

I don't play any games on PC besides Dominion.  Actually, I currently only have a work laptop, as I gave my regular home laptop away.   I'm not too thrilled about PC gaming, because I don't really value spending the money on the right hardware.  Also, I have a PS4, so there's that.

Logged
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1522 on: August 16, 2016, 02:02:31 pm »
0

Yep, clearly 3 groups of 2. Would be way better with equal spacing throughout.

Interestingly enough, the letter elements are spaced out evenly. The font may not be friendly toward it, because while there may be the same 60 pixels between T and A as there is between R and A, they clearly look different. It may be an illusion caused by the skinniness of the base of T and V while everything else has a wide base. Diagonal motion is no one's friend here.
Logged
A man has no signature

Tables

  • Margrave
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2803
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3315
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1523 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:14 pm »
0

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16067

I've decided to change how the bidding works to something else I've been mulling over (which I think is similar to another game's bidding system I played, something involving dinosaurs, but I can't quite put my finger on what it was). But yeah, go, sign up, let's playtest this thing.
Logged
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

Kuildeous

  • Cartographer
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3834
  • Respect: +2202
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1524 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:39 pm »
0

So in other words, not equal spacing but better kerning would be appropriate.

I'm not fond of seeing more than one letter in frame anyway, so if I make a change, it'll probably address that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:06:09 pm by Kuildeous »
Logged
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 123  All
 

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.