Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Abbey, a mass trash for benefit à la Forge  (Read 9078 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Abbey, a mass trash for benefit à la Forge
« on: January 07, 2016, 07:23:59 am »
+1

I got this idea recently, what do you think about it?

Cloister - 4c Action
You may trash an Action card, a Treasure card, and/or a Victory card from your hand.
If you trashed three cards, gain a Province.

Wording:
The effect I want is:
You may trash an Action card from your hand. You may trash a Treasure card from your hand. You may trash a Victory card from your hand.
Does this wording work? Alternatively, I have "You may trash any combination of one T, one A, and one V from your hand"
Or a "Choose up to three" thing too.
Any suggestions?

Effect: is it worth having (do you like it)? Is it balanced at 4? The obvious comparisons here are Forge and Remodels, this one is a worse gainer than most remodelers but it compensates by clearing junk at almost-Steward speed.
I'd also consider letting Curses in as an additional type, so that it becomes a marginally more useful trasher and gainer in cursing games.

UPDATE: current state of the card:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:51:57 am by Accatitippi »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
Re: Cloister - a cheaper Forge?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 07:50:21 am »

I have no idea how to balance this.

I love the idea, and I don't think RR is right to dismiss it straight away as being OP at 4.  The need to trash an action card as well as everything means that even when you have a hand that fits this you're going to have to slowly destroy your deck to make it work.  It's unusual enough that I think the only way to cost it well is to playtest it a bunch.  I don't think 4 is totally horrible starting point.

The combo with fortress is real.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:29:48 am »
+4

Gain a Province? I think this is overpowered at $4.

Well, we have a 4$ card that goes "trash a gold, gain a Province", and it also does all sorts of other stuff, so I don't think this one is so crazily OP (at least, not for the Province gain alone).
It consumes 4 cards of your hand (1 played, 3 trashed), of which one almost guaranteed nonjunk card, and you even have to line them up.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:19:00 am »
+3

I think the wording is fine and it's worth testing at $4. My biggest worry is that it won't be fun, but testing is the only way to determine that.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 09:36:34 am »

Everyone was right, I removed me post. But I am posting again because I still want to view the discussion.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:38:52 am »
+2

Nice of you to do that, RR. But I feel bad now. No one felt like you needed to delete your post, it wasn't offensive or anything. :)
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:44:02 am »

Nice of you to do that, RR. But I feel bad now. No one felt like you needed to delete your post, it wasn't offensive or anything. :)
No, but it was wrong and it would've been the first thing the OP would've seen, so that's okay.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 10:02:23 am »
+1

It sounds like a good starting price to me. A clarification question: do you need to trash the cards in that order? Select all three then trash them at once? I ask because of the on-trashing effects of a number of Dark Ages cards where that might matter (Overgrown Estate, Cultist).

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:25 am »

Trashing a Ruined Village, a Copper, and an Overgrown Estate -- the dream. I think its not OP, but I wouldn't have included it in Dark Ages. Overall, I like the card; setting a deck up where its useful is tricky, but obviously rewarding.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
+5

I'll take the opposite view and suggest this is underpowered at $4.

If you're using it as a trasher, it's objectively worse than Steward.  In order to spike a Province, you need either good luck or good drawing... and you still don't want to use that function until the mid-game... and you need an action card you don't mind losing.

Sure, it has ridiculous combos with Fortress and Cultist, but that speaks more to the power of those cards than this one.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:53:24 am »
+3

Everyone was right, I removed me post. But I am posting again because I still want to view the discussion.

There's no shame in being wrong. And you may end up being right! I would much rather have some feedback that ends up being incorrect in the thread than have confusion due to posts vanishing. I mean it's not so bad that you deleted this one post, but in general I think it's not a great idea.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 01:04:11 pm »

If you're using it as a trasher, it's objectively worse than Steward. 

Since someone probably will anyway, I'll mention the edge case: If you only have 1 junk card and Steward in hand, you can't just trash the 1 card. With Cloister, you can.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »

Since someone probably will anyway, I'll mention the edge case: If you only have 1 junk card and Steward in hand, you can't just trash the 1 card. With Cloister, you can.

Sure you can.  Play Steward, trash the junk card, attempt to trash the second card, fail because you have no other cards.  Or did you mean you have Steward, one junk card, and a bunch of useful cards?

That being said, this is exactly why I didn't say "strictly" even though I thought about it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:06 pm »
+1

No, but it was wrong and it would've been the first thing the OP would've seen, so that's okay.
Well, it was the fist thing I saw, and hey, after some hours to recover from the shock I'm already starting to feel better!  ;)
I submitted the card for review, and that implies it receiving negative criticism. I didn't agree with your criticism, so I counterargued, and didn't feel any worse for that. :)

Everybody, thanks for posting your opinions.
My biggest concern is that it will just be bought for the trashing without ever using it to gain Provinces, which is dull. It's hard to estimate the feasibility of a semi-tactical Province gain in the mid-late game, so I guess I'll have to test it to find out.
I think I'll have it be able to trash Curses too, so that it can at least compare with Steward, and avoid being utterly awful in cursing games.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »

I think it being utterly awful in Cursing games is fine. I don't think you should strive to have a card be good on every board. It's better that certain cards hard counter it. Also how would you change the wording? The card is a lot stronger if it can trash 3 cards and one of them doesn't have to be an Action.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »

I think it being utterly awful in Cursing games is fine. I don't think you should strive to have a card be good on every board. It's better that certain cards hard counter it. Also how would you change the wording? The card is a lot stronger if it can trash 3 cards and one of them doesn't have to be an Action.

"You may trash an Action card, a Treasure card, a Victory card, and/or a Curse card from your hand.
If you trashed three or more cards, gain a Province."

The reason for the suggested change is that the more I think about it, the more I believe Kirian is right, and that Cloister as is is weak(-ish?).
I don't want to make it work on every board, but cursers are the strongest (and least countered) attack class in the game, having cards that work ok-to-well against them is something I actively try to achieve.
If it is so much stronger when you can avoid trashing Actions to gain Curses, then your opponent is free to skip the curser altogether. If I find it is so powerful that it hard counters cursers, I'll take that part away. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:05:35 pm by Accatitippi »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »

Sure you can.  Play Steward, trash the junk card, attempt to trash the second card, fail because you have no other cards.  Or did you mean you have Steward, one junk card, and a bunch of useful cards?

That being said, this is exactly why I didn't say "strictly" even though I thought about it.

Right, I meant if you have other cards in your hand you want to keep. Which really wouldn't be that uncommon I'd guess.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »

"You may trash an Action card, a Treasure card, a Victory card, and/or a Curse card from your hand.
If you trashed three or more cards, gain a Province."

I think that wording could be ambiguous (Island comes to mind).  How about:

You may trash an Action card.  You may trash a Victory card.  You may trash a Treasure card.  You may trash a Curse.  If you trashed an Action and at least two other cards, gain a Province.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 03:03:22 pm »

"You may trash any number of cards from your hand that don't share any card types. If you trashed at least three, gain a Province."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 03:14:10 pm »

"You may trash any number of cards from your hand that don't share any card types. If you trashed at least three, gain a Province."

So I can't trash Hovel and Fool's Gold?  I think that creates some problems (though minor).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »
+2

You may trash up to 3 cards from your hand. If none of them share a type, gain a Province.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 03:58:21 pm »
+1

There's no shame in being wrong. And you may end up being right! I would much rather have some feedback that ends up being incorrect in the thread than have confusion due to posts vanishing. I mean it's not so bad that you deleted this one post, but in general I think it's not a great idea.
It was unhelpful, and I do not strive to be unhelpful. I will restate what I said later (maybe) in a longer and more informative post, but the one sentence post I had was not cool.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 08:04:59 pm »
+2

Meh, I personally don't care for how limited some of the above solutions to the "ambiguity" problem make it. I think it'd be fine to be able to check two boxes with one card. "Trash up to 3 cards from your hand. If you trashed a Victory, Treasure, and Action card this way, gain a Province."

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 09:30:15 am »
+7

You may trash up to 3 cards from your hand. If none of them share a type, gain a Province.

OK, I trashed a copper. Can I have a Province now?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 09:33:07 am »
+3

OK, I trashed a copper. Can I have a Province now?

Trashing nothing would work, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.62 seconds with 20 queries.