Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Game suggestions (dice maybe)?  (Read 11748 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Game suggestions (dice maybe)?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 07:38:34 am »
+1

I like Seasons quite a bit, but I don't really see how computer assistance would be very helpful there.

It's been so long since I played Seasons that I don't remember, but maybe if I explain what I mean by computer assistance being helpful it will become clear?

Dominant Species would be helped by computer assistance, because any one of like 10 different things can change dominance in a region, which is checked at any one of like 10 different times. Having that constantly updated by a computer would help, since it's pretty much impossible to get it right all of the time.

Suburbia would be helped by computer assistance because I can buy a tile and place it in this one place, so now I get two income from the file, but I get another income because it's a restaraunt and I have this other tile, and oh yeah that guy over there loses an income because he has the Fancy Restaurant, and I get $2 because it's next to a lake, but I have this other building that makes buildings next to lakes worth more so I get this other thing. And it's next to a park so I get a reputation, oh wait I doubled this one tile so I get these other benefits... Making sure you get all of these extra effects is tough and it would be nice to know everything is taken care of.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 08:21:33 am »

I know what you mean, but I don't see how anything similar happens in Seasons.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 08:57:39 am »

I could definitely see a computer aid for Roll Through the Ages. Highlight which developments and which worker spaces can be filled up with each roll of the dice.

I've only played Seasons a couple of times. While you could use an app to track the pieces, I also don't see a strong need for prediction highlights. Highlight the elements you can sell while still being able to afford your cards? I recall that it helps to remember some cards in play because they can gain something (and possibly punish someone?). So that could be useful.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:54 pm »
+1

I like Race for the Galaxy a lot better than Roll for the Galaxy.

I like Roll for the Galaxy better than Race for the Galaxy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 12:03:02 pm »

I like Race for the Galaxy a lot better than Roll for the Galaxy.

I like Roll for the Galaxy better than Race for the Galaxy.
Guys, that's so helpful

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »

Race is going to feel closer to Dominion, because interacting rules on cards.

Roll is going to be a better game (imo) because it cuts out tons of complexity (relatively speaking) that isn't actually adding that much at all to Race.

This is not speaking to the core character of either game, just some attributes that I think are relevant.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2016, 01:30:04 pm »

One thing I liked about Roll is that you can choose to use the development side of a tile or the planet side. It feels like it gives you more options.

Which is actually not true when you consider that you have way more options with a hand full of six cards in Race. You could develop or settle any of those, so why does it feel like I have more options in Roll? I guess it's because the currency is different in the games. In Race, you have to choose to discard cards that you want to keep. In Roll, you just pay with dice. You don't lose options when you narrow your choices.

So maybe it's not that you have more options in Roll. You just don't feel like you're getting dicked over.

Man, talking about Roll is really wanting me to consider buying it without telling the wife. I don't think I'll ever find an opportunity for her to play the game first.
A man has no signature

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:19 pm »

So alien frontiers is out because the cheapest one in amazon is over $75 after shipping, kingsburg is also on the higher end, euphoria is a bit cheaper and sounds like a pretty cool theme, roll for the galaxy is cheap enough that I could get that, bang the dice game and codenames for ~$80. So that's where I'm leaning now. I'll probably wait for a bit though, see if I can play any of my options first. Like trrra mystica. Which isn't dice, I know, but would be more of the same types of games I like. Still a few more to check out though

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 01:49:38 pm »

So alien frontiers is out because the cheapest one in amazon is over $75 after shipping, kingsburg is also on the higher end, euphoria is a bit cheaper and sounds like a pretty cool theme, roll for the galaxy is cheap enough that I could get that, bang the dice game and codenames for ~$80. So that's where I'm leaning now. I'll probably wait for a bit though, see if I can play any of my options first. Like trrra mystica. Which isn't dice, I know, but would be more of the same types of games I like. Still a few more to check out though

Terra Mystica can be played online if you just want to try it out.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 01:50:42 pm »

I may do that too :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 02:20:18 pm »

I may do that too :P

terra.snellman.net
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »

So alien frontiers is out because the cheapest one in amazon is over $75 after shipping

Yeah, I was surprised when Alien Frontiers turned out to be so unexpectedly expensive to acquire. I ordered it through my LGS, and after my 15% discount there still paid some ridiculous amount of money for it (don't exactly remember; it was probably a year ago now).

Scion

• Baron
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:24 pm »
+1

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is a fantastically fun game, if in a different vein than most in this thread.  It's a real-time, fully coop game. 

In my opinion, it "fixes" a lot of the common issues with coop games (AP, etc.) because everyone's too busy frantically rolling their dice as quickly as possible to tell other people what to do.  It also has a hard time limit of 10 minutes per game, so you can always fit multiple plays in. 

It's been a hit with the more casual gamers (wife, family, etc.). 

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »

One thing I liked about Roll is that you can choose to use the development side of a tile or the planet side. It feels like it gives you more options.

Which is actually not true when you consider that you have way more options with a hand full of six cards in Race. You could develop or settle any of those, so why does it feel like I have more options in Roll? I guess it's because the currency is different in the games. In Race, you have to choose to discard cards that you want to keep. In Roll, you just pay with dice. You don't lose options when you narrow your choices.

So maybe it's not that you have more options in Roll. You just don't feel like you're getting dicked over.

Man, talking about Roll is really wanting me to consider buying it without telling the wife. I don't think I'll ever find an opportunity for her to play the game first.

You have way less options in Roll when it comes to what you build in Roll, especially in the beginning of the game.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 08:03:50 pm »

You have way less options in Roll when it comes to what you build in Roll, especially in the beginning of the game.

Yeah, I was probably taken by the double-sided nature of the tiles. It felt really nice that one draw would have two options. I was too busy admiring that fact to consider that you're going to be seeing fewer tiles in Roll than cards in Race.
A man has no signature

Hyphen-ated

• Baron
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:28 pm »
+1

Race and Roll are some of my favorite games. I have about 200 plays of Race and 30 plays of Roll. I feel like Race has deeper strategy but Roll is more viscerally fun because I love rolling a bunch of sweet dice. Roll is also much easier for new players to learn because all the tile special abilities are spelled out in english; you don't need a reference card for 20+ weird symbols. It's the best dice game I have played by far.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2016, 10:00:39 pm »
+2

Thanks for all the help guys.  I ended up going with Roll and Bang! the Dice Game.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 09:02:21 am »

Quantum is a game which uses dice for all sorts of purposes: Marking a space ship class, setting a space ship's speed and strength, resolve combats, being moved around as a meeple, counters for diferent player statuses. Tactical game in which my 12yo beats me consistently.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.11 seconds with 20 queries.