Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Knicknacks  (Read 4723 times)

Rafy235

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Dominion: Knicknacks
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:25 pm »
+2

Hey guys!
So, just looking around the forum I see a lot of fan made expansions, groups of fan created cards, all beautifully laid out and mocked up, and it's really impressive. I've come to respect a lot of awesome, sagacious people on the forum, such as Asper, Co0kieL0rd, Lastfootnote, and everyone else I can't name. Just reading the feedback you guys quickly provide in just the fan cards section really helps me out as a designer, and brings me pleasure just to observe such a busy community.

All this being said, I'd like to involve myself more and have been truly inspired by your work. So, here comes an expansion I'm going to begin creating, this time the right way. It has a mechanical theme of setting cards aside, but not gaining them, and a passive theme of miscellaneous items like rubber ducks, medallions, or for my first submission and idea:

Set it aside as a protection from junkers, or just to trash cards from your hand as you build your deck up with good cards.
Thanks for your time, feedback appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:10:11 pm by Rafy235 »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Knicknacks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »

Hmmmm...so you set it aside, then it stays set aside until you return it to the supply via the reaction?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 09:33:01 pm »
+1

Huh. Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is: if it never enters your deck, maybe it shouldn't be a card. It could be an Event that got you Dreamcatcher tokens, which you could lose in order to trash incoming cards (or block attacks or whatever).

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »

Hmmmm...so you set it aside, then it stays set aside until you return it to the supply via the reaction?
Yeah, kind of, but the reaction isn't what sets it, you set off the reaction by buying it, then it waits until a card I s gained. So you don't resolve it until you use it, which makes me wonder what card type it should be.

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »

Huh. Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is: if it never enters your deck, maybe it shouldn't be a card. It could be an Event that got you Dreamcatcher tokens, which you could lose in order to trash incoming cards (or block attacks or whatever).
This sounds cool. It would also solve the randomizer problem because it doesn't take up a kingdom pile.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 09:39:40 pm »

Yeah, kind of, but the reaction isn't what sets it, you set off the reaction by buying it, then it waits until a card I s gained. So you don't resolve it until you use it, which makes me wonder what card type it should be.
Well, I am very easily confused. But...what?

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:03 pm »

Well, I am very easily confused. But...what?
Eh, nevermind. You were right in describing the effect, I was just being pedantic. I'm most likely going with the event idea though. I'm about to go playtest it.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 10:00:44 pm »
+1

It sounds like the Tavern mat might be a decent place for it to go instead of being set aside. It does function like a Reserve after all, waiting available til you need it.
Dreamcatcher - 2$ Reserve-Reaction
When you gain this, +1 Buy and put it on your Tavern mat.
---------------
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash that card. If you do, return this to the supply.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:04 pm »

It sounds like the Tavern mat might be a decent place for it to go instead of being set aside. It does function like a Reserve after all, waiting available til you need it.
---------------
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash that card. If you do, return this to the supply.
This makes sense. Thanks!

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 10:23:29 pm »

---------------
I really like this, but it still doesn't solve my junker problem like the event does. If possible I'd do this, maybe add a bonus like trashing cards in play too?
How 'bout:

Dreamcatcher - 2$ Reserve
-------------------
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash that card and up to 2 cards from your hand, discard pile, or play area. If you do, return this to the supply.

This version seems optimal, anyone have a reserve template? Thanks in advance!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:37:58 pm »

Hey, thanks for giving me credit! I'm always having a great time developing and testing new cards and I'm glad there's a lot of creative input in the forums.

-------------------
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash that card and up to 2 cards from your hand, discard pile, or play area. If you do, return this to the supply.

So this is an interesting idea and it definitely needs another effect besides trashing one incoming junk card to be worth $2. With this version including the play area, however, you overshot it a bit. Compare it to Bonfire which would look very bad next to Dreamcatcher. I think trashing the gained card and optionally one more from your discard pile or hand when you call it seems reasonable.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 10:46:07 pm »

Hey, thanks for giving me credit! I'm always having a great time developing and testing new cards and I'm glad there's a lot of creative input in the forums.

-------------------

Alright, so final version before I go test it will be:
Net (Couldn't find any good dreamcatcher art) 2$ Reserve
------------
When you gain a card, you may call this to trash that card and up to 1 card from your hand or discard pile. If you do, return this to the supply.

So this is an interesting idea and it definitely needs another effect besides trashing one incoming junk card to be worth $2. With this version including the play area, however, you overshot it a bit. Compare it to Bonfire which would look very bad next to Dreamcatcher. I think trashing the gained card and optionally one more from your discard pile or hand when you call it seems reasonable.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 04:02:16 pm »

Wow, i never heard of the word "sagacious" before. Not sure i deserve that.

About the card, i like LastFootnote's suggestion of it being an Event that gives out tokens. You don't have to print actual cards, and it stays widely available. Also it doesn't get its costs reduced, meaning you can't just empty the pile after two Highways, and can't react to itself to keep others from using the card. It might still be abused to burn down piles intentionally, so watch out for that.

Here's a take at an event version:

Control, $1, Event
+1 Buy
Take a Control token. (When you gain a card, you may spend a Control Token to trash that card and a card from your hand)

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:32 pm »

Wow, i never heard of the word "sagacious" before. Not sure i deserve that.

About the card, i like LastFootnote's suggestion of it being an Event that gives out tokens. You don't have to print actual cards, and it stays widely available. Also it doesn't get its costs reduced, meaning you can't just empty the pile after two Highways, and can't react to itself to keep others from using the card. It might still be abused to burn down piles intentionally, so watch out for that.

Here's a take at an event version:

Control, $1, Event
+1 Buy
Take a Control token. (When you gain a card, you may spend a Control Token to trash that card and a card from your hand)
This seems to be most optimal. It solves all the problems originally brought up. I guess I'll go with it. Anyone know where I can get an event template?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 08:26:21 am »

Thinking about this, a price of $1as i suggested might be too low. I'll spend the same amount you spend on two Witches to give me almost complete Witch protection. Of course sometimes i might not have another card to trash in hand, but on the flipside if i gain a Curse, and trashed down my deck a bit, chances are next time i'll get rid of that and another incoming one. So $2 as you originally intended might be just right. Just watch out what happens if this and a curser are on the board, espevially if one player plain skips the curser.

Rafy235

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »

Thinking about this, a price of $1as i suggested might be too low. I'll spend the same amount you spend on two Witches to give me almost complete Witch protection. Of course sometimes i might not have another card to trash in hand, but on the flipside if i gain a Curse, and trashed down my deck a bit, chances are next time i'll get rid of that and another incoming one. So $2 as you originally intended might be just right. Just watch out what happens if this and a curser are on the board, espevially if one player plain skips the curser.
Thinking about it, even a price of 2 is way to low. Realistically what happens with + buy and 2 coin cost is people just buy a token every shuffle. The result?
No one touches the cursers. Sure, they can be bothersome, requiring a 2 purchase, but realistically it's not that big of a deal unless you have a thin deck. Which this event does allow for, but
only testing will tell! Either way, I think I'll increase its power, then raise the price to 4.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 10:09:48 pm »

Where'd you end up getting that Reserve template? I made my own and they both look about the same. I also made an Event template if you still want it
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.