Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ShadowLancer's fan cards  (Read 4800 times)

ShadowLancer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
ShadowLancer's fan cards
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:41:56 pm »
+4

Hey guys! For my first forum post, here are a bunch of card ideas I came up with. I haven’t really playtested any of them, so they might be terribly imbalanced. Tell me what you guys think!

Arsenal

A simple Reserve card. Pretty much like Coin of the Realm, but it draws cards instead of giving actions. I’m kind of surprised that Adventures doesn’t already have something like this. Yes, it actually makes it possible to play multiple Tacticians in one turn!

Demagogue

Lets you draw cards when you trash cards. It’s pretty good with trash-for-benefit, and it’s a nice defense against trashing attacks. Playing multiple Demagogues in one turn can make your next turn pretty crazy. Also, it makes infinite turns possible if combo’d with Procession and Graverobber. Not sure how to deal with that, other than just making sure that the kingdom doesn’t have all of those 3 cards together, haha.

Disassemble

Divides a card into 2 cards and puts them back into your hand, and gives you +1 action so that you can play them. Early game, it can be used to trash an Estate and gain a Silver and a Copper, which gives you a whopping $3 for that turn. Certainly not useful for trashing Coppers though.

Pioneer

Lets you buy cards that will be one-shots for your next turn. Pretty wild with Noble Brigand and Pillage. If you don’t feel like doing any crazy strategies, you can still use Pioneer’s ability to buy a free Copper, and you’ll have +$1 next turn. I’ll need help with the wording so that it’s not weird with Duration cards.

Fire Pit

It makes Curses good, and it also lets you turn Coppers into Curses! I have no idea how well-balanced this is, or how viable it is to have a Fire Pit strategy without a curser in the kingdom.

Forbidden Gold

This kind of thing is probably a bit cliché, but here’s another idea I have for making Curses good. It can propel you to get super expensive cards really early, but then you’re bogging yourself down with Curses. Obviously very good against cursers when there are no trashers on the board. The last part is just to make sure that Forbidden Gold isn’t overpowered when the Curse pile is empty. No idea how well-balanced this is.

Mad Scientist

Also makes Curses good. The +3 cards is nice because it makes it easier to find Curses in your deck to discard them. Once again, the last part is just to make sure that Mad Scientist isn’t overpowered when the Curse pile is empty. No idea how well-balanced this is.

Prison

An attack that pretty much turns opponents’ cards into Wine Merchants. I think it’s kinda cool, but I’m not sure how fun it is, or if it’s worth the wall of text, haha.

Boomerang

A normal village, but if you discard it, then it practically gives +3 actions instead of +2. Earlier, I tried putting it back into your hand when you discard it, but then I realized that was absolutely ridiculous, especially with Storeroom.

Village Idiot

An action card that’s actually better when you don’t play it.

Contest

A less swingy alternative to Tournament, in my opinion. If you get $12 in one turn, then you can get a prize for free.

Reimburse

A nice consolation prize for dead action cards left in your hand. Very nice with Village Idiot, and a splendid defense against Looters.

Genie

Probably the craziest card in this list, and it might just be bad design, but I’d like to know what you guys think. It’s really good with coin tokens, victory tokens, trashing, attacks, Duration cards, Reserve cards, or if you want to suddenly cause a 3-pile ending. The only problem is its cost of $6, which makes it difficult for it to support early-game trashing, and any coin tokens you get probably aren’t worth the $6 you paid. Fortress is immune to the trashing, which I think is cute. And you can buy a Messenger just to give people Curses (trolololol).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:44:03 pm by ShadowLancer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowLancer's fan cards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 03:47:11 pm »

Disassemble is a great name for that effect! I don't know if this is an issue or not, but if you play 4 Highways... Play Disassemble, trashing anything. Gain a Disassemble and a Copper. Play Disassemble, trashing the Copper. Gain a Disassemble and a Copper. Play Disassemble, trashing the Copper.. etc, until all Disassembles are gone.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »

Mad Scientist is strictly better than Warehouse.

Also, I'll see if I can find it, but "discard a curse or gain a curse" was discussed pretty recently on some other fan card. Don't remember what people said about it though.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:51:48 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 03:53:04 pm »

A few comments that immediately come to mind.
Mad scientist: This is strictly better than Warehouse, so has to cost more than $3 or weakened in some way.
Boomerang: I'm not sure as worded this would produce the result you want. i.e., I don't think you'll get the 3 Actions, just 1. Cf. Caravan Guard. You might need to make it a Reserve, or have you set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn (without using an action to do so).
I'd hate to be on the other side of a Genie turn, especially if decks aren't tiny. Too easy to set up your mega-engine and kill the game when you have a marginal lead early.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:57:23 pm by GeneralRamos »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »

Fire pit is super duper overpowered. I take no credit for what I'm about to say:
At the start of the game, buy as many curses as you can, maybe a +buy card or two to let you get more Curses. Then buy out the Fire Pits, then three pile.

Or it might be in this order: buy Fire Pits and +buy cards, then buy Curses.

One of those is super overpowered and breaks the game.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:44 pm »

Contest is interesting. Needs to say "from the Prize pile". I think the problem with it though is that it's an automatic decision. If you happen to have more than at any time, you always buy it (if you haven't yet this game). I think it would be better to not give the buy and money back. Maybe only the buy? That way you'd have to decide if you want the Prize or not.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 03:58:54 pm »
+1

No reason for Reimburse to have "once per turn", I don't think. The only way you could get a benefit out of buying it more than once on a turn is an edge case combo with Boomerang, and that seems like a fun little combo you want. But also, like Contest, it is automatic. No decision to make, you always buy it if you happen to have action cards you couldn't play because of terminal collision or terminal draw.

ShadowLancer

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »
+1

Sorry, I should change the wording of Mad Scientist and Forbidden Gold. What I wanted is "Discard a curse. If you didn't, gain a curse. If you didn't discard or gain a curse, discard 3 cards."

Disassemble is a great name for that effect! I don't know if this is an issue or not, but if you play 4 Highways... Play Disassemble, trashing anything. Gain a Disassemble and a Copper. Play Disassemble, trashing the Copper. Gain a Disassemble and a Copper. Play Disassemble, trashing the Copper.. etc, until all Disassembles are gone.

Wow, didn't think of that, haha. I suppose it's not too bad of a problem, since you need 4 Highways, and having 10 Disassembles isn't that great.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:01:19 pm »

Sorry, I should change the wording of Mad Scientist and Forbidden Gold. What I wanted is "Discard a curse. If you didn't, gain a curse. If you didn't discard or gain a curse, discard 3 cards."

Wow, didn't think of that, haha. I suppose it's not too bad of a problem, since you need 4 Highways, and having 10 Disassembles isn't that great.

It's not about the having 10 of them, it's about draining an entire pile at once. But yeah, it might be fine because it needs combo support. But in general, gaining to hand can be scary with unforseen issues. At first I thought you could do this without Highway, but not quite.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »

Fire pit is super duper overpowered. I take no credit for what I'm about to say:
At the start of the game, buy as many curses as you can, maybe a +buy card or two to let you get more Curses. Then buy out the Fire Pits, then three pile.

Yeah, I think it's a bit too powerful. Buy just one of these and Curses no longer do any damage to you VP value at endgame. The fact that Curse costs $0 makes it hard to justify the same ration mechanic as Duke, dependent on a $5 card much harder to by en masse. I don't have a quick solution for you, but pointing you to the mechanic in my Indulgence might spark ideas:
Action - $3
+1 card, +1 Action, +1 Buy
You may put a Curse from your hand on your Indulgence mat. If you do, trash this.
Curses on your Indulgence mat are worth 1 VP per Indulgence in your deck.
That mechanic made it so that it didn't simply null all Curses in your deck, made it harder to accrue a lot of points off a Curse rush, and in fact made it inadvisable to go after all the curses (you can max get rid of 10 Curses this way, but then each is worth 0; optimal is to get 5 on the mat and 5 indulgences, with no other curses). Finding some way to limit the point ceiling on this is important, esp. in a 4 player game where it could theoretically his 30 points apiece. Cwazy.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »

Yeah, I think it's a bit too powerful. Buy just one of these and Curses no longer do any damage to you VP value at endgame. The fact that Curse costs $0 makes it hard to justify the same ration mechanic as Duke, dependent on a $5 card much harder to by en masse. I don't have a quick solution for you, but pointing you to the mechanic in my Indulgence might spark ideas:
Action - $3
+1 card, +1 Action, +1 Buy
You may put a Curse from your hand on your Indulgence mat. If you do, trash this.
Curses on your Indulgence mat are worth 1 VP per Indulgence in your deck.
That mechanic made it so that it didn't simply null all Curses in your deck, made it harder to accrue a lot of points off a Curse rush, and in fact made it inadvisable to go after all the curses (you can max get rid of 10 Curses this way, but then each is worth 0; optimal is to get 5 on the mat and 5 indulgences, with no other curses). Finding some way to limit the point ceiling on this is important, esp. in a 4 player game where it could theoretically his 30 points apiece. Cwazy.
But the thing about Fire Pit is it doesn't 'null' Curses. If you have two Fire Pits, Curses are Estates. With Four Fire Pits they are Duchies. So if you get all 10 Curses and Six Fire Pits before your opponent gets all eight Provinces, your opponent has 48 (or 51 if he didn't trash his Estates) and you have 62 (or 65 if you don't trash your Estates).
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:39 pm »

Here you go: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14085.0

Some discussion around "gain a curse or discard a curse", with different wording options and such.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:15 pm »
+2

You have some good ideas here.

Arsenal, Disassemble, and Village Idiot look good & ready to try out as-is.

Demagogue is possibly overpowered until it runs out of fuel. (In a similar vein as Mercenary even though it looks very different.)

Pioneer looks way too much like my card that even has the same name:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11098.0 (it's about halfway down that first post)

I don't like cards that try to make curses good, so I'll skip those.

I like the idea of prison, but I think it might be a little weak when compared to rogue (which is already kinda weak). I'd suggest making a cheaper version (or just trying it as-is at $4). It might be fun to have a knight-like attack costing less than $5.

I really like Boomerang.
@GeneralRamos, Caravan Guard says +actions has no effect when it isn't your turn. So Boomerang would essentially give +3 actions if discarded during your turn, but no extra actions if discarded when it isn't your turn.

I don't care for contest for the same reason I hate tournament. As long as there's only one copy of each prize, I don't like them.

Reimburse would be good costing $1.

Genie might be fun to try once or twice, but I don't think it'd be worth keeping.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:43:07 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

ShadowLancer

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 06:29:18 pm »

Boomerang: I'm not sure as worded this would produce the result you want. i.e., I don't think you'll get the 3 Actions, just 1. Cf. Caravan Guard. You might need to make it a Reserve, or have you set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn (without using an action to do so).

I forgot about if you discard Boomerang on other people's turns. I think to make it simpler, I'll just change it to "when you discard this from your hand during your Action phase, then play this" or something like that.

I'd hate to be on the other side of a Genie turn, especially if decks aren't tiny. Too easy to set up your mega-engine and kill the game when you have a marginal lead early.

You're probably right about that. Maybe if Genie returns cards to the supply instead of trashing them? Either way, it might be not worth keeping.

Quote from: Roadrunner7671
Fire pit is super duper overpowered.

I agree, Fire Pit is overpowered. I think I'll have to completely redo it or just scrap it.

Quote from: GendoIkari
No reason for Reimburse to have "once per turn", I don't think. The only way you could get a benefit out of buying it more than once on a turn is an edge case combo with Boomerang, and that seems like a fun little combo you want.

Oh yeah, I made Reimburse "once per turn" back when Boomerang went back into your hand instead of playing it, haha. And I might want to make it cost $1, so it's not automatic.

Quote from: LibraryAdventurer
Pioneer looks way too much like my card that even has the same name

Oh yeah, sorry about that! I saw your post one day, wrote it down, and then forgot where I'd gotten the idea from. I might as well just remove it from the OP.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »
+2

Quote from: LibraryAdventurer
Pioneer looks way too much like my card that even has the same name

Oh yeah, sorry about that! I saw your post one day, wrote it down, and then forgot where I'd gotten the idea from. I might as well just remove it from the OP.
Well it's nice to know you like the idea.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.