Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Amulet  (Read 23855 times)

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Adventures Cards: Amulet
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 11:08:13 am »
+3

If you're looking at a board where you would open double Steward for the purpose of thinning quickly, then yeah you should probably open double Amulet. Maybe you want a third Amulet if you feel like your draws are not letting you thin as much as you'd like (you would have this problem with Steward <3 #stewardisthebest <3) but all I needed to know to get me on the right track is comparing it to Steward.

Well the pace of your trashing is less important to you. I'd get one Amulet here, maybe a second Amulet on the second shuffle if you want a little more pace, but I dunno I'm just sort of guessing what would be close to what Steward does.

Bolded the part that I feel like the comparison lets people down. We've established that Steward trashes faster, and then becomes useful as coins/cards later in the game. What the comparison does is tell me that when I would have wanted 2 Stewards, I want at least 2 Amulets. Understanding if I possibly want a 3rd or a 4th or whatever has to be balanced against the usefulness of the card after the trash mode, at which point Amulet doesn't really compare that cleanly to Steward. Also in the 1 Steward case, do I need a second to get the job done?

Pretty much the same argument can be made for your other question by the same reasoning.

This one I feel is even less clear with the comparison. If I wanted 1 Steward to tide me over until I can get Junk Dealer or Count or Forge or whatever, is just 1 Amulet going to do enough in the same time-frame to justify buying it? The fact that Amulet trashes more slowly than Steward might cross the threshold towards not buying it at all. 

So I hope you see my point that these guidelines are most easily explained by comparing the card to Steward. Steward has been around for like 8 years so that feels like a pretty valid reference point as long as you point out the differences (draw vs. gain a silver, missing shuffles, flexibility blah blah blah).

There is certainly value in the comparison; perhaps I should have been more clear and stated "doesn't help me nearly enough" or "this comparison loses enough of its value to warrant further consideration".

I guess the main point is about crossing thresholds; if I know that I'd want 1 Steward to trash on my way to (wlog) Junk Dealer, and I also know that I wouldn't buy a Trade Route in the same situation (this ordering of Trade Route/Amulet/Steward seems clear to me; could be wrong but its just for example purposes anyway), then I don't know where the threshold is of "worth-it-ness" and on which side of it Amulet falls. I hope I'm making sense here. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:40:11 am by Infthitbox »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:58 am »

If you're looking at a board where you would open double Steward for the purpose of thinning quickly, then yeah you should probably open double Amulet. Maybe you want a third Amulet if you feel like your draws are not letting you thin as much as you'd like (you would have this problem with Steward <3 #stewardisthebest <3) but all I needed to know to get me on the right track is comparing it to Steward.

Well the pace of your trashing is less important to you. I'd get one Amulet here, maybe a second Amulet on the second shuffle if you want a little more pace, but I dunno I'm just sort of guessing what would be close to what Steward does.

Bolded the part that I feel like the comparison lets people down. We've established that Steward trashes faster, and then becomes useful as coins/cards later in the game. What the comparison does is tell me that when I would have wanted 2 Stewards, I want at least 2 Amulets. Understanding if I possibly want a 3rd or a 4th or whatever has to be balanced against the usefulness of the card after the trash mode, at which point Amulet doesn't really compare that cleanly to Steward. Also in the 1 Steward case, do I need a second to get the job done?

Well yeah they're different after the fact -- I can't think of many engines that will prefer more Amulets once they have thinned because $1 and gaining a Silver aren't as useful as drawing cards. I'm sure if you ever have that situation you'll know, though (like you're overdrawing your deck). The pieces you're missing here, though, are really hard to talk about at all. Like, if I'm going to come up with a situation where I want that third Amulet in an engine, I feel like I'm coming with a pretty convoluted scenario, which isn't very useful to talk about. You need more context, like you said.

I don't think it's the comparison to Steward's fault that it's hard to talk about this, though. I feel like the comparison to Steward got us this close and this is probably as close as we can get without talking about specific games and specific draws. If anyone has a better idea I'm open to it but I've got nothing.

Pretty much the same argument can be made for your other question by the same reasoning.

This one I feel is even less clear with the comparison. If I wanted 1 Steward to tide me over until I can get Junk Dealer or Count or Forge or whatever, is just 1 Amulet going to do enough in the same time-frame to justify buying it? The fact that Amulet trashes more slowly than Steward might cross the threshold towards not buying it at all. 

In the case of Steward, if you're opening with it to thin even in the presence of these $5 trashers, I think you're going to be pretty thin and you won't get that much value out of your more expensive trasher. I suppose that's not going to be true as much with Amulet since it's slower at trashing (though some people would disagree with my correct :P assessment of this), plus Amulet won't draw you cards later on, so I suppose the comparison does kind of break here now that I know more specifically what you're talking about.

Unfortunately, without more context it's tough to give better insight than "sometimes you won't even open Amulet in favor of using the $5 trasher as your main source of thinning because Amulet's other abilities aren't helpful." Hmh. I do see your dilemma here, but again it's hard to talk about.

So I hope you see my point that these guidelines are most easily explained by comparing the card to Steward. Steward has been around for like 8 years so that feels like a pretty valid reference point as long as you point out the differences (draw vs. gain a silver, missing shuffles, flexibility blah blah blah).

There is certainly value in the comparison; perhaps I should have been more clear and stated "doesn't help me nearly enough" or "this comparison loses enough of its value to warrant further consideration".

I guess the main point is about crossing thresholds; if I know that I'd want 1 Steward to trash on my way to (wwlog) Junk Dealer, and I also know that I wouldn't buy a Trade Route in the same situation (this ordering of Trade Route/Amulet/Steward seems clear to me; could be wrong but its just for example purposes anyway), then I don't know where the threshold is of "worth-it-ness" and on which side of it Amulet falls. I hope I'm making sense here.

Yes, you are making perfect sense (to me at least). And I also think you're putting the right amount of stock in your comparisons to other cards here. This is actually some really smart stuff you have here and I feel like someone who doesn't understand it would benefit a lot from understanding it. I want to make an alt account and +1 your post again, but unfortunately I don't have the password to the LeagueKingdoms account anymore so that's tough to do :P

So how do you improve this understanding? Unfortunately, the only way I know of that really works is to play lots of games with Amulet in them, which is hard to do right now. Unfortunately, I can't even promise you that there will be any Amulet boards in my tournament on the 30th (I haven't made the kingdoms for that yet) :(.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

Some scattered miscellaneous points to add:

"If I would buy 1 Steward how many Amulet do I buy?" - I would say usually two. Amulet is a lot easier to play than Steward - there is less collision risk, you need to trash more often to make up for missing shuffles, you can trash one with the other easily (Steward has trouble when you want to trash exactly 1 card), etc. Now if you would buy 2 Steward (and I'm with Stef here that double Steward can in many cases be the right move) I would get at least 2, maybe 3 Amulet. Almost never more than 3.

As for the comparison to Jack and the lack of draw - it is very worth noting that the second turn of Amulet is played with a full hand, similar to (but not as good as) a Jack draw in the absence of attacks. This is a key reason it plays a lot better than Hermit BM, in addition to gaining silver twice as much.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 01:59:28 pm »

As comparison with Steward has come up, here are the differences I see:

Early Game:
Amulet Trash or Silver
Steward Trash or Money

Late Game:
Amulet Money
Steward Cards

With that in mind, Steward is probably stronger, but that trash option comes in handy during games where you might not align your trasher against junking attacks.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 02:18:15 pm »
+1

Some scattered miscellaneous points to add:

"If I would buy 1 Steward how many Amulet do I buy?" - I would say usually two. Amulet is a lot easier to play than Steward - there is less collision risk, you need to trash more often to make up for missing shuffles, you can trash one with the other easily (Steward has trouble when you want to trash exactly 1 card), etc. Now if you would buy 2 Steward (and I'm with Stef here that double Steward can in many cases be the right move) I would get at least 2, maybe 3 Amulet. Almost never more than 3.

As for the comparison to Jack and the lack of draw - it is very worth noting that the second turn of Amulet is played with a full hand, similar to (but not as good as) a Jack draw in the absence of attacks. This is a key reason it plays a lot better than Hermit BM, in addition to gaining silver twice as much.

I'm wondering, is trying to use Amulet as a substitute for Steward trashing better than the other things you can be doing with Amulet that you couldn't do with Steward?

Amulet will generally let you have more money to buy cards at the $3-$4 price point consistently while trashing compared to Steward. It should also be fairly good at helping you hit $5 on the duration turn where you choose +$1 like to lighthouse on the duration turn and choosing +$2 with Steward if your money density is close to $1 (so that the Steward in hand is most likely replacing a Copper's worth of a card).

I think Amulet will be worse than Steward at getting a very thin deck in time, but better when you want to win by just getting a bunch of good stuff to replace most of your starting cards by the time you start greening.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:47 am »

Comparing to other single card trashers that you want to open with. Forager/amulet seems better than double forager. Amulet/hermit seems decent. Jack/amulet seems questionable.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 09:17:35 am »

I've said this many times, some people have disagreed, some of those people are pretty good at Dominion. My opinion has not changed.

Steward is more often than not a much better card than Amulet. It is a better trasher because in most cases it trashes faster than Amulet (because it misses less shuffles) which offsets the slight flexibility you get by trashing one card from two different hands. The drawing option is stronger on most boards than gaining a silver because more boards are engine boards than slog boards.
After 3 games with Amulet (not a lot, I know) I tend to agree with this. Among the cheap trashers I think Amulet belongs to the bottom half, although most cheap trashers are good in general.

Sure, you can add more to a deck than Stewards in terms of terminal space, but it also trashes less effectively. Its advantage is that you can trash and still buy stuff for your deck (which is something most weaker trashers have in common), but missing shuffles, especially early on, is a hugh drawback here. Ideally Steward has trashed 4 cards after your 2nd shuffle, Amulet often has trashed only 2.

So I think it's good, but there's no way it's better than Steward. It might turn out with more experience that the two cards are more similar than I think they are today, but currently I lean towards Adam's oppinion here.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 09:18:50 am »
+2

Jack/amulet seems questionable.
Why? Actually, I like it. They even synergize a bit. If you've played Amulet the turn before, trash with the duration part and Jack in hand, Jack can draw an extra card.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 09:22:00 am »

Comparing to other single card trashers that you want to open with. Forager/amulet seems better than double forager. Amulet/hermit seems decent. Jack/amulet seems questionable.

I'm glad you brought this up; I was going to ask about Forager but got caught up in the other points I was attempting to make. Forager is non-terminal, gives a buy (not always super-relevant in the 'get-thin' phase) and is usually (not always the first few plays) worth a coin as well. A single Amulet can trash "more" cards (the math on number of plays/missing shuffles is here; I think its fair that playing an Amulet does not always cause it to miss a shuffle, which means you can trash more than one card if you so desire with it per shuffle on average) than a single Forager, but with multiples I think you probably do want one of each if you want two trashers. Of course, in the post-thin phase of the game, if you can reliably get Forager food without mucking up your deck, then Forager is better than Amulet, as it is providing two of the benefits of Amulet with every play and you are playing it frequently enough that the duration of Amulet is largely irrelevant (except for the part about having to draw it).

Amulet/hermit suffers from collision problems; I guess its ever so slightly worse in this respect than double Amulet because of the duration effect. If the hermit gains are going to be relevant (there's a gainable village or similar), or if there's additional non-treasure cards other than the starting ones to trash (ruins, curses, ambassador'd scouts) then I think this is better than double Amulet. Otherwise? I'm not sure; would probably need to play it a bunch; my intuition doesn't offer much.

Jack/Amulet -- seems legit if you actually just want silvers to play money. If your goal is to get as thin as possible as quickly as possible, then maybe you don't want those silvers at all, and Jack isn't where you want to be. I think I underrate Jack compared to better players (I know I do compared to at least one better player), but I don't think Jack/Amulet is intrinsically questionable for an engine-ish deck with money payload.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 09:37:44 am »
+2

Why? Actually, I like it. They even synergize a bit. If you've played Amulet the turn before, trash with the duration part and Jack in hand, Jack can draw an extra card.

Also, trashing Copper tends to aid Jack strategies almost always, right?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:21 am »
+1

Buying Jack doesn't necessarily mean a pure money based strategy.

Jack is pretty helpful to get an early acceleration to help you keep buying $5+ cards after a few plays. I find that with opening Jack you can transition into engine-y games pretty well, Minion for instance.

Amulet has the same vibe for me, you hold off getting your first $5 for some small early acceleration that pays off over the length of the game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 11:44:03 am »

Yes, I realized that synergy of trashing and redrawing but the silver gaining seems redundant (which is imo one of the best parts of amulet) hitting five first shuffle seems relatively unlikely with that opening.

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2016, 04:56:27 pm »

Iīve had some games with amulet now and it didnīt turn out as good as i thought (But i thought pretty high of it).
The biggest problem is that you have to choose at the beginning of the duration turn. With draw you don`t know if you need the extra copper and you might not have a card in hand, which you want to trash at the beginng of the turn. The trashing at the start of the turn doesn`t synergize well with cellar or warehouse as well.

The trashing capabilities are okay, but not strong. (I opened Amulet/Chapel in one game with no good 3-4 costs)
The option to play it as a copper is actually pretty good (on the turn you play it). Happens pretty often that you`re missing just one copper to get the card you really want.

The silver gaining is really good. You do need some economy after trashing down and amulet can provide that.
With one gardens game the silver gaining got insane. There were no +buys and two gains per play were incredible.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2016, 07:44:16 pm »
+3

Amulet is pretty sweet. I open with it a lot.

One thing about Amulet is the temptation to take +$1 for a better buy, even though you could trash something. Try not to be a sucker.

Amulet provides economy, so you never need to be worried about trashing too many Coppers. That's nice.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 04:36:52 am »
+2

I summarized the contents of this topic and put it on the Wiki:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Amulet

If there are things people disagree with, and they feel their opinion has more consensus than mine, feel free to edit.

If I have the time and energy, I will visit the other Adventures cards' Wiki pages in the same way.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 05:07:12 am »
+1

I summarized the contents of this topic and put it on the Wiki:

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Amulet

If there are things people disagree with, and they feel their opinion has more consensus than mine, feel free to edit.

If I have the time and energy, I will visit the other Adventures cards' Wiki pages in the same way.

I think you understated the usefulness of +1 coin next turn. It's not a copper, it's a peddler, since it doesn't clog up your hand.

On the same subject, it might be worth pointing out that +1 Coin and trashing have very different power levels depending on during which turn you're choosing them, since their total effect depends on how big is your hand (i.e., what you can afford this turn).
It's not a very advanced concept, but I think it's not obvious for new players, and those are the ones reading the articles anyway.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 05:26:05 am »
+1

I think you understated the usefulness of +1 coin next turn. It's not a copper, it's a peddler, since it doesn't clog up your hand.

On the same subject, it might be worth pointing out that +1 Coin and trashing have very different power levels depending on during which turn you're choosing them, since their total effect depends on how big is your hand (i.e., what you can afford this turn).
It's not a very advanced concept, but I think it's not obvious for new players, and those are the ones reading the articles anyway.

You're right about the +1 coin thing, I changed the phrasing a bit.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the last part. As said, you're free to make some adjustments yourself.  :P
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.