Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92036 times)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2016, 11:03:16 am »

That's why during sexual harassment education (mandatory for my workplace), it's only harassment if it continues after the person has requested the behavior to stop.

At the risk of making possibly the most off-topic post in this thread, really?!

Well, if you tell a woman that she's pretty and/or ask her out on a date and she says no and you drop it, is that harassment? No. Might she still feel intimidated or put off, especially if there exists a power gradient in the workplace between you and she? Yes. But it still wouldn't fly in court as sexual harassment because she said no and you stopped. It's the repetitive annoyance or attempt to intimidate that leads to problems. This is known as the "hostile environment" definition. True "quid pro quo" (i.e. sleep with me or you're fired) is actually quite rare.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 07, 2016, 11:19:19 am »
+4

That's why during sexual harassment education (mandatory for my workplace), it's only harassment if it continues after the person has requested the behavior to stop.

Well, if you tell a woman that she's pretty and/or ask her out on a date and she says no and you drop it, is that harassment? No. Might she still feel intimidated or put off, especially if there exists a power gradient in the workplace between you and she? Yes. But it still wouldn't fly in court as sexual harassment because she said no and you stopped. It's the repetitive annoyance or attempt to intimidate that leads to problems. This is known as the "hostile environment" definition. True "quid pro quo" (i.e. sleep with me or you're fired) is actually quite rare.
I think Infthitbox's surprise was that there is a space between "You look pretty" and physical assault or "Sleep with me or you're fired", and that space is full of things that shouldn't require a "no."

Examples would include even some variations on the first ("Lookin' hot today, baby" is objectively harrassment), but also lewd jokes, variations on "$gender is [crazy|jerks|bitches] because $stereotype", and a host of other things.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:20 am »
+2

I think Infthitbox's surprise was that there is a space between "You look pretty" and physical assault or "Sleep with me or you're fired", and that space is full of things that shouldn't require a "no."

Examples would include even some variations on the first ("Lookin' hot today, baby" is objectively harrassment), but also lewd jokes, variations on "$gender is [crazy|jerks|bitches] because $stereotype", and a host of other things.

Chemist is crazy because mercury.

Am I doing it right?

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2016, 11:29:17 am »
+2

Precisely. Maybe its the fact that I work at a college, which has very real, inherent power differences between faculty, students, and administrative staff (the category I'm in), but the tone of our harassment training was very, very different.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2016, 11:47:25 am »
+1

Chemist is crazy because mercury.

Am I doing it right?

If "chemist" is a valid value for $gender, then we have very different definitions of gender, even counting the realms of extreme gender fluidity.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2016, 12:05:10 pm »
+2

An argument for why this thread should now be locked: the discussion has firmly taken a direction that really should be confined to RSP.

Man, we're so good at staying on topic. This is amazing.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2016, 12:08:37 pm »

Oh man. Are we purposely trying to get this thread locked? Because we can do that. But let's not.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2016, 12:26:03 pm »
+7

Okay - I feel like pointing out what AdamH may be talking about.

Somewhere in the thread GOON GARDEN said "I really don't like it when people pick apart my words. Stop it!"

The next few posts were along the lines of "I don't think it's really your 'words' which we picked apart."

This sort of purposeful taunting is not the way we should treat people even when we know they are jerks.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 07, 2016, 12:40:26 pm »
+7

Maybe too late....

When the only way to get an engine going is to line up KC/KC/Margrave in a single hand in the midst of Mountebank junking you're going to run into trouble.  Think of it as needing 3 Treasure Maps in hand to cash in and the only way for you to win is to line them up almost every turn.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #284 on: January 07, 2016, 12:51:55 pm »

This sort of purposeful taunting is not the way we should treat people even when we know they are jerks.

Why not? What's wrong with treating jerks like jerks?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »
+2

Who is the more jerkish, the jerk or the jerk that follows him?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2016, 12:56:52 pm »
+1

Who is the jerkier jerk, the jerk or the jerk that jerks him?

Fixed that for you.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2016, 12:58:19 pm »
+4

Who is the more jerkish, the jerk or the jerk that follows him?

If a tree jerks in the forest, and no one hears it, am I still offended?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »
+6

Umm, because then we're jerks too?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »

Awaclus may have meant "What's wrong with treating jerks in a manner befitting a jerk?" rather than "What's wrong with treating jerks like jerks ourselves?"

Which is equivalent if you think that the "we" here were being jerks, but Awaclus may not think that.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2016, 01:16:43 pm »

I don't see the distinction you're trying to make. The problem with treating a jerk like a jerk is that the person doing the treating is a jerk for treating someone like a jerk. How can someone be treated like a jerk without someone treating them like a jerk?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 07, 2016, 01:17:20 pm »

I completely agree with this.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 07, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
+2

I don't see the distinction you're trying to make. The problem with treating a jerk like a jerk is that the person doing the treating is a jerk for treating someone like a jerk. How can someone be treated like a jerk without someone treating them like a jerk?

No, I mean, the difference between the implied "like *they are*" vs. "like *we are*" in "like a jerk".  As in, you think a jerk should be treated in a certain manner. (Say, take their toy away and put them in time-out.)

Edit: In other words, he may have been saying "Treat them like they deserve to be treated", which may not necessarily mean to be a jerk yourself.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:20:59 pm by Witherweaver »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 07, 2016, 01:21:10 pm »
+1

Few things in life are more delightful than giving someone a taste of his own medicine. There is a reason revenge is deemed sweet.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 07, 2016, 01:21:39 pm »
+17

Few things in life are more delightful than giving someone a taste of his own medicine. There is a reason revenge is deemed sweet.

If revenge is what you're interested in, I know a great website....

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #295 on: January 07, 2016, 01:22:26 pm »

Awaclus may have meant "What's wrong with treating jerks in a manner befitting a jerk?" rather than "What's wrong with treating jerks like jerks ourselves?"

Which is equivalent if you think that the "we" here were being jerks, but Awaclus may not think that.

That's what I meant, yes.

I don't think you're a jerk for treating someone the way they deserve to be treated. Even if that does count as being a jerk, who cares?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 07, 2016, 01:23:19 pm »
+2

To add to this, I think the more significant problem is that it escalates things. I think this thread is a great example of that. GG may have started with what some read as an arrogant position, but the course of the thread led to him saying hateful offensive things. That's a lot worse.

Also, how is treating jerks as jerks productive? I guess it maybe "reveals" the true jerkiness of the OP, but I don't find that particularly valuable for him or for us. I definitely don't think this means we need to be accepting of jerky behavior, but I believe we can address that behavior without taunting or antagonizing them.

For what it's worth (if anything). I want to point out that I completely disagree with Adam in regard to off-topic chatter (I like it, and actually think it can be productive and even facilitate more dominion strategy discussion), but I think he's right here in regard to the way that people sort of kept pushing GG.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 07, 2016, 01:26:44 pm »
+2

To go with this thread, presumably it's revengemountebank.com or revengemargrave.com

I completely agree with this.

Me too.  The best way to treat a jerk is to ignore his antics.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 07, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »

The moment I learned of its existence I signed up for a lifetime subscription.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #299 on: January 07, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »

That's what I meant, yes.

I don't think you're a jerk for treating someone the way they deserve to be treated. Even if that does count as being a jerk, who cares?

OK then, everybody treats everyone like jerks and everyone in the world is a jerk. That's not a good thing. It tends to escalate tiny situations that can happen between normal, reasonable people and can be defused into huge arguments where bad words are said and feelings a hurt. It's also hard to talk about Dominion when that happens.

A better option would be to either be nice to him and hope he responds by being nice back, or press the "report to moderator" button and let the "system work."

PPE: ninja'd
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.