Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92344 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:09 am »
+9

I think maybe you've only had 94-98% enough of this horrid forum.

You're not funny

I'm at least 42% funny.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2016, 11:11:04 am »
+1

This thread ended about 30 posts ago and it's only still going because it's nice drama. I know I'm adding to that drama with this post and I'm not any better for saying this stuff than anybody else here, but still, this is just dumb and no one outside of the argument even cares about the ideas or who wins. They only care about the argument as entertainment in and of itself. So if you want to keep being unwitting performers that give us something to read, be my guest. Otherwise, just drop it.

I think another reason we are all still posting here is that there's like maybe two actual discussions of Dominion on this forum per day, and we're bored. This is the most in depth discussion about anything we've had in awhile. I'm tempted to make more threads with sweeping generalizations just to stir the pot a bit and get some discussion about Dominion going. It's what Roadrunner manages to do every time he says anything about Scout; clearly I should start doing that about Gear or something.

I'm not bored of discussing Dominion. It's just really hard to do around here because people want to make jokes instead of discussing Dominion, threads get off-topic and it hinders discussion. There's so much about Adventures that just hasn't been talked about, and yeah having it online would help but certainly it isn't because we're out of things to talk about related to Dominion. If only there was a way we could have some type of thread where people couldn't post things that are off-topic... hmm...

Of course this same discussion was already had and a lot of people disagreed with what I said. That's fine, they're allowed to disagree. I'm right and they're all wrong, but they can still think that, it's OK.

It's much easier for me to ignore the trolls now, though. So I can just attempt to have a good discussion and not acknowledge those who are just trying to get in the way. If it happens, great! If it doesn't, I'll be sad but I've now realized that nobody here cares about people who are sad because of this. OK, I'll just deal with it on my own, that was the guidance I was given so I suppose that's the guidance people should get if they're also upset about the same thing.

I don't think stirring the pot will help, though. People are still willing to post, but the ones who actually want to talk about Dominion (I'm assuming others out there think similarly to me) don't want to respond to people who are deliberately trying to be misleading.

I'm not bored of discussing Dominion. I'd like to discuss it more; it's why I come here, really. We just don't have many threads to discuss things. By stirring the pot, I'm more suggesting things along the lines of "Gear BM beats engines more often than not. Discuss!" than I am referring to joke replies and the like. The OP's bold statement about KC may be mostly wrong, but jokes aside we had some decent discussion about King's Court for a bit, so his stirring the pot may have been worth it in that sense.

I'd like to see more frequent discussion of Dominion stuff here - maybe statements like these to start threads are the way to do it, I don't know. Anyone got any ideas?

Well, any "lets brainstorm about Adventures card X" would be fine; these cards don't have articles, but a community discussion that could lead to a preliminary article or even just a set of ideas would beat nothing. I've considered starting a thread about Wine Merchant, for instance, to get people talking about Adventures cards. Sure, we don't have online play for these so its much, much harder to get the data we need, but even discussion about it without that would be preferable.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2016, 11:13:32 am »

You're not funny

Bro, I totally feel you, man. Like, I've been in your shoes. It's really frustrating to see that this is how we welcome new people to the forums -- the intelligent discussion goes on for a bit and then it gets interrupted and then people are upvoting the troll posts and don't really give a crap that you're frustrated. I've been there and it doesn't feel good and I empathize with you.

In this situation, I think rather than feeding the troll, you should have pressed the "report to moderator" button. It may still not be too late.

And WW, why are you doing this? Seriously, I think you should stop. As a community we have nothing to gain an everything to lose by you/us continuing this. Please.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:52 am »

I would welcome the opportunity to talk about Adventures. My only real knowledge of the set comes from the dozen or so games I've played IRL. I understand that a heavy majority of this community plays online, and those experiences are much easier to share (logs) than simply: here's the kingdom, and this is who won.

Edit: also, to Adam's dismay, I have a broken sarcasm filter. I am sure many people here struggle with this as it finds humor in places there otherwise wouldn't be.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:16:24 am by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2016, 11:21:58 am »
+1

You're not funny

Bro, I totally feel you, man. Like, I've been in your shoes. It's really frustrating to see that this is how we welcome new people to the forums -- the intelligent discussion goes on for a bit and then it gets interrupted and then people are upvoting the troll posts and don't really give a crap that you're frustrated. I've been there and it doesn't feel good and I empathize with you.

In this situation, I think rather than feeding the troll, you should have pressed the "report to moderator" button. It may still not be too late.

And WW, why are you doing this? Seriously, I think you should stop. As a community we have nothing to gain an everything to lose by you/us continuing this. Please.

Trolls who are talented have their place in a forum, but that witherweaver is decidedly unfunny

I don't mind being roasted but at least make it entertaining

In any case, you're a real gentleman, AdamH. I appreciate your post
This user is banned!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2016, 11:25:36 am »
+4

You're not funny

You can both talk about Dominion and throw off lighthearted remarks at the same time and the world won't end.  But this gets into conversations we've had time and again, so maybe we just better head off to anotter topic. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2016, 11:26:50 am »

Trolls who are talented have their place in a forum, but that witherweaver is decidedly unfunny

I don't mind being roasted but at least make it entertaining

In any case, you're a real gentleman, AdamH. I appreciate your post

You're not being roasted; I'm not sure why you say that. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2016, 11:27:24 am »

I mean, the fun being poked at here is how pedantic we on this forum are.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:07 am »
+8

Any reason we can't make a new thread about like, each Adventures card one by one each day? Multiple discussions would go on at once, but that's probably a good thing. I'll just go down the list alphabetically and make a new thread daily. Trolly comment about how good the card is optional.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2016, 11:33:51 am »
+3

Any reason we can't make a new thread about like, each Adventures card one by one each day? Multiple discussions would go on at once, but that's probably a good thing. I'll just go down the list alphabetically and make a new thread daily. Trolly comment about how good the card is optional.

I approve! Will you start the first one today?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2016, 11:35:24 am »
+3

Definitely. Expect a thread on Amulet after I get the chance to eat lunch and type up an OP.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:47 am »

Definitely. Expect a thread on Amulet after I get the chance to eat lunch and type up an OP.

Cool. Nice first choice. We've discussed Amulet some, since it was a previewed card, but I think there's definitely more room for discussion there.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2016, 11:42:39 am »
+4

Cool. Nice first choice. We've discussed Amulet some, since it was a previewed card, but I think there's definitely more room for discussion there.
We've only discussed 53% of Amulet in the Preview thread. So there's far more discussion left than people think.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2016, 11:44:17 am »

DO IT!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Lammetje

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: koemanmike
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2016, 11:45:09 am »
+1

Maybe we can do something like a kingdom of the week or something? It seems to be popular on the reddit.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2016, 11:54:55 am »

You can both talk about Dominion and throw off lighthearted remarks at the same time and the world won't end.

I totally agree with this. In fact, I throw in lighthearted remarks into my posts all of the time. They're everywhere in my Jack article, which is one of the most "serious" and Dominion-related posts I've ever made. OTOH, just count the number of posts in this thread right now and see what percentage of them have no Dominion content whatsoever (I'm not going to do this, I'm speaking rhetorically, but sure someone can do this, that's fine) and you'll see how lighthearted remarks can come at the expense of Dominion content. Like, what if posts with no meaningful Dominion content were just removed? I bet this would read a lot better and lots of people would be happier. It's so easy for those to not be posted, you know?

AdamH. I appreciate your post

<3 <3 <3 <3

Any reason we can't make a new thread about like, each Adventures card one by one each day?

I have actually thought about doing this very seriously. The only thing that has stopped me from actually doing it is the fact that the last several times (I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head) I've tried to use the community as a resource to come up with a collection of ideas like that, the discussion turned non-constructive so quickly and I got so frustrated that I unfollowed the thread. I was told that asking people to stay on topic was the main reason people went off-topic, which is IMO the stupidest thing in the universe.

So I've just been doing more work in the IRL scene and the other mystery thing that's been in the works (which is actually only a couple of weeks from becoming a reality, btw [/teaser]). I sincerely hope it works for you and I will offer whatever Dominion-related insights I can as long as I can stand to continue reading the thread. I'm a little sketch about the Amulet thread to start but of course I'll repeat the opinions I've previously made known because my mind has not been changed.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2016, 11:57:35 am »
+2

You're not funny
You're not gone...?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

SirMartin

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2016, 12:05:48 pm »
+2

The amount of petty nitpicking in this forum is offputting to say the least

But is it just a little bit off-putting, or really, really off-putting?

(I really wish I didn't have to put this was a joke in bold here, but I feel it might be necessary.)

Seriously, though, man, this forum is all about nitpicking.  Usually it's more substantive than petty, though, trust us.

This forum is only 93% about nitpicking.

Well, I have already had enough of this horrid forum.

Bye.
I haven't been on this forum for too long, but it seems pretty harmless and actually fun. 'Horrid' is definitely not a word I would use. Just get the discussion back to King's Court, or leave the topic and let them get the last word in.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2016, 12:10:11 pm »

We could return to the [serious] tag, if we must? That way the less [serious] comments can be ignored or removed? I mean, at this point there is really very little discussion on the topic as it was "I think I'm right, here's a specific example" vs "I think you're wrong, here's a different example" without much progress to be had.

King's Court [serious] on the other hand may give us insight into a few "skip-able" scenarios that a weaker player may not notice.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »
+2

i think the issue here is that a lot of people don't see the point of further serious discussion.  the consensus here seems to be "king's court is clearly as not as skippable as the OP thinks, what else is there to talk about?"

you really need top players willing to dig deeper for things to get beyond that point, and that's hard for any forum - especially in the current era where they're gradually getting killed off by social media.  the largest competitive fighting-game forum has tens of thousands of members, yet i see LESS nitty-gritty discussion there than i do here...

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2016, 12:49:15 pm »

The amount of petty nitpicking in this forum is offputting to say the least

But is it just a little bit off-putting, or really, really off-putting?

(I really wish I didn't have to put this was a joke in bold here, but I feel it might be necessary.)

Seriously, though, man, this forum is all about nitpicking.  Usually it's more substantive than petty, though, trust us.

This forum is only 93% about nitpicking.

Well, I have already had enough of this horrid forum.

Bye.
I haven't been on this forum for too long, but it seems pretty harmless and actually fun. 'Horrid' is definitely not a word I would use. Just get the discussion back to King's Court, or leave the topic and let them get the last word in.

My every word is picked apart by a bunch of snooty posters including yourself who takes issue with my word choice of "horrid"...

Being surrounded by a mob picking apart every word is downright horrid considering how short life is.
This user is banned!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2016, 12:54:11 pm »
+1

I'm certainly very glad that Miser is optional, for one.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2016, 12:55:25 pm »

i think the issue here is that a lot of people don't see the point of further serious discussion.  the consensus here seems to be "king's court is clearly as not as skippable as the OP thinks, what else is there to talk about?"

you really need top players willing to dig deeper for things to get beyond that point, and that's hard for any forum - especially in the current era where they're gradually getting killed off by social media.  the largest competitive fighting-game forum has tens of thousands of members, yet i see LESS nitty-gritty discussion there than i do here...

You seem to think that if the consensus is against OP, that the only possible place to go is for the discussion to devolve into _______.* How about we respectfully agree to disagree like gentleman?

That would be the classy thing to do (and some such as AdamH have done so) I don't think you all realize that the *______ in this thread discredit this forum as a whole more than the OP which can't be discredited because the consensus is against it anyway.

I have no problem if people disagree. I am a kind person. This is not a community I wish to be a part of.

*I refuse to name what is going on because if I do that word choice will be picked apart ad nauseum
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:59:45 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2016, 01:01:22 pm »
+5

*I refuse to name what is going on because if I do that word choice will be picked apart ad naseum

It's ad nauseam.

Honestly, I tried to resist, but man, that's two errors in a single word!

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2016, 01:04:07 pm »

*I refuse to name what is going on because if I do that word choice will be picked apart ad naseum

It's ad nauseam.

Honestly, I tried to resist, but man, that's two errors in a single word!

See what I mean?

I already corrected the first error.
This user is banned!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.