Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92047 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #325 on: January 07, 2016, 10:05:41 pm »

So I don't know any of you guys well enough to participate in this discussion, but I do want to add the following.

There is no forum without drama, except for a dead forum. It's a fact of life.

You go to hell, sir.
Where did that come from?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:39 pm »

So I don't know any of you guys well enough to participate in this discussion, but I do want to add the following.

You go to hell, sir.

You can't explain your own joke.  It's against the bylaws.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 07, 2016, 10:27:16 pm »
+1

I guess that means that the mafia games over at funeralstrategy.com must be really boring.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2016, 10:29:17 pm »

You go to hell, sir.

That didn't look like a joke. That's the first thing anyone besides Goon Garden has said that I would've been offended by.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2016, 10:38:33 pm »
+1

I really like f.ds and the community as it is.

The only room for improvement I see is if everyone stopped telling other people how to behave.

YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!!!

But you can tell the same joke twice. Except the first time WW used the meme, the second time he just made the qoute.

Either way,  +1 for the archer reference.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2016, 11:43:37 pm »
+2

This thread is amazing!

Come on guys, let's keep this thing rolling  8)
It's far less amazing than people think. I'd say it's only 90-93% amazing.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2016, 11:56:57 pm »

This thread is amazing!

I give it a 5/7.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

zeruf

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: zeruf
  • Who empties provinces anymore?
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 08, 2016, 01:15:18 am »
+1

This thread is amazing!

I give it a 5/7.

Is that a Margrave/KC joke?

Quote from: Kirian
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:16:55 am by zeruf »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #333 on: January 08, 2016, 04:10:29 am »

And, by the way, while there is certainly merit in asking what you yourself could have done to prevent bad stuff happening to you, this line of thought is what drives people into depression and suicide, particularly the bolded part.

Then that's also their own fault. It's certainly not driving me into depression or suicide.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2016, 05:42:02 am »
+10

And, by the way, while there is certainly merit in asking what you yourself could have done to prevent bad stuff happening to you, this line of thought is what drives people into depression and suicide, particularly the bolded part.

Then that's also their own fault. It's certainly not driving me into depression or suicide.

Uh....

Okay, I wasn't going to post in this thread, but now it's on a different topic. I'm going to spell out my position in great detail and then go back to lurking this thread.

1. You can be healthy mentally even when you're hard on yourself. (aka, what faust said)
2. That being said, people who suffer from depression or have suicidal thoughts are almost always very self-critical, to the point of blaming themselves for things out of their control. The drive for suicide isn't "Fuck you world! You don't deserve me!", it's "I don't matter, I've always messed up, my friends and family would be happier if I was dead"
3. Clinical depression is not something you can just break out of. This is why antidepressants are a thing. When I think depression, I mean clinical depression. If you're just sad for a day or a week, it means something shitty happened and you got over it with time. That doesn't always happen.
4. Telling a depressed person that it's their fault they're making themselves sad by self-critiquing themselves so much is probably the worst thing you can say to that person. Like, by far, because you're reinforcing their viewpoint and making the depression worse.
5. This is not saying you're doing that now because presumably faust is not depressed. I'm saying this is a very bad mindset to have if you're dealing with someone who suffers from depression, and that you really really shouldn't think this way if you do meet one of those people.
6. This is also not saying you should stop thinking in this way about yourself. If you can take it, I don't see anything wrong with your position, as long as you recognize that it could lead to making yourself depressed if you go too far.

Unsolicited life advisor, checking out. (Hopefully this is better advice than the Dominion advisor.)

Edit:

The corollary is that if someone says they're not feeling great, you should let up on the criticism and tell them to take a break, like many people in this thread did. They may or may not have suicidal thoughts, but it's better to be safe. If they keep posting afterwards, then they're either trolling or actually can't stop for some pathological reason. The proper response in both cases is to stop replying. Of course this doesn't actually happen because the bait is too tempting, but maybe we'll get there someday. Or not.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:45:45 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2016, 06:49:19 am »

2. That being said, people who suffer from depression or have suicidal thoughts are almost always very self-critical, to the point of blaming themselves for things out of their control.

You don't have to blame yourself for things completely out of your control, but you should still be the only person responsible for getting the best possible outcome for yourself under the circumstances that you have. Suicide is probably not the best possible outcome for you.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 08, 2016, 07:10:56 am »

You go to hell, sir.

That didn't look like a joke. That's the first thing anyone besides Goon Garden has said that I would've been offended by.

I'm not that offended, but I am pretty confused. The last time someone told me I'm going to hell was by some kind of religious nut.

Hell seems like a suboptimal place to be. It's a pretty severe punishment, whether it's for not believing in Jesus or for pointing out on a forum that there will always be drama as long as the forum lives.

The joke might be that by telling me I'm going to hell, I am now included in this forum's drama. But that would be a pretty lame joke.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:12:03 am by Aleimon Thimble »
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 08, 2016, 07:12:42 am »

You go to hell, sir.

I'm not that offended, but I am pretty confused. The last time someone told me I'm going to hell was by some kind of religious nut.

Hell seems like a suboptimal place to be. It's a pretty severe punishment, whether it's for not believing in Jesus or for pointing out on a forum that there will always be drama as long as the forum lives.

The joke might be that by telling me I'm going to hell, I am now included in this forum's drama. But that would be a pretty lame joke.
Maybe he wasn't referring to the Christian hell and the hell he mentioned is a nice place?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2016, 07:13:14 am »

Oh, I didn't see you edit. That must be the joke!

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2016, 08:13:47 am »
+1

I think invoking Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes applies in this case.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2016, 08:43:40 am »

You go to hell, sir.

Okay so I was responding to your statement that all forums have drama with nothing but an inflammatory and offensive remark, thereby causing drama.  They can't all be the best one-liner ever.  After all, check my signature.

Maybe just a "No it isn't", leading into an argument, would have been better.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2016, 08:44:31 am »
+1

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2016, 12:04:22 pm »

[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »

This thread is amazing!

I give it a 5/7.

Is that a Margrave/KC joke?

Quote from: Kirian

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/5-7
http://imgur.com/gallery/6xkzh

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2016, 01:14:37 pm »

You go to hell, sir.

Okay so I was responding to your statement that all forums have drama with nothing but an inflammatory and offensive remark, thereby causing drama.  They can't all be the best one-liner ever.  After all, check my signature.

I made pretty much the exact same joke last month, and it failed in pretty much the same way:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14325.msg548259#msg548259
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »
+4

2. That being said, people who suffer from depression or have suicidal thoughts are almost always very self-critical, to the point of blaming themselves for things out of their control.

You don't have to blame yourself for things completely out of your control, but you should still be the only person responsible for getting the best possible outcome for yourself under the circumstances that you have. Suicide is probably not the best possible outcome for you.

You're coming at this with a rational perspective. The point is that depression isn't rational or something you just decide.  It's an illness.  Would you go up to someone with cancer and say, "man, just stop having cancer"?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2016, 01:21:08 pm »
+1

You go to hell, sir.

I made pretty much the exact same joke last month, and it failed in pretty much the same way:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14325.msg548259#msg548259

We're clearly just on another level from the rest of the forum.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »
+7

You're coming at this with a rational perspective. The point is that depression isn't rational or something you just decide.  It's an illness.  Would you go up to someone with cancer and say, "man, just stop having cancer"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #348 on: January 08, 2016, 01:33:32 pm »

No. I might go to someone with lung cancer and say "man, maybe you shouldn't have smoked three packs of cigarettes every day for the past 40 years", though. Just because you can't make your situation better now doesn't mean you never had a chance to influence it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2016, 01:42:47 pm »
+14

No. I might go to someone with lung cancer and say "man, maybe you shouldn't have smoked three packs of cigarettes every day for the past 40 years", though. Just because you can't make your situation better now doesn't mean you never had a chance to influence it.

I do not recommend this course of action.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.