Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92431 times)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:11 pm »

This is the worst forum I have ever experienced.

F.DS is the worst forum on the internet, except for all the other forums.

Was that supposed to be funny, or witty?

I won't go into which other forums I post on, but the community is way better and way more helpful.

Most forums would have someone say: Estimation is unreliable. You can look up your stats here: welcome to the forums.

THE END.

It is supposed to be a modified quote by a witty person and quite applicable to this situation.

But while we're at it. Most of people new to the forums make their points very differently aswell. Your rhetoric isn't as charming as you may think it is.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »

I won't go into which other forums I post on, but the community is way better and way more helpful.

Most forums would have someone say: Estimation is unreliable. You can look up your stats here: welcome to the forums.

THE END.

It is supposed to be a modified quote by a witty person and quite applicable to this situation.

But while we're at it. Most of people new to the forums make their points very differently aswell. Your rhetoric isn't as charming as you may think it is.

Yeah that's because this forum brings out the worst in me. I feel bad that I lost composure. Honestly in all of my social experiences in life this forum is by far the worst experience.

This user is banned!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:36 pm »
+3

THE END.

Yeah that's because this forum brings out the worst in me. I feel bad that I lost composure. Honestly in all of my social experiences in life this forum is by far the worst experience.
Then why don't you leave?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:47 pm »
+5

I mean, we're pretty pedantic here for sure, and I guess some people might not like that. Personally I think the world would be better if people were more sticklers for precision. So when people are imprecise, we generally take them literally and correct them if it sounds wrong, and I can see how that can come off as picking apart your words. But the only reason we're using your words is that if we didn't we'd be putting words in your mouth, which is bad. I don't think you are being roasted, and in saying so I am picking apart what you said. I have a feeling roasted might not be exactly what you mean, but I don't know exactly what you mean, so I have to assume you said what you meant. That's where I'm a pedantic asshole. I sometimes struggle with this irl too; and I'm sure people have gotten the wrong impression from that before. I doubt I'm alone on that in this forum.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:55 pm »

That said, I think it's fair to suggest to someone guessing at percentages to check out the stats provided by The Exprecissist's tool. New users probably won't know about that. I myself don't even remember where to find that tool.

Real stats are a great tool to generate discussion, and put things in perspective.  I don't necessarily think it would be appropriate to substitute a real statistic any time someone is compelled to make one up. In my opinion, the best thing to do when compelled to guess at a statistic would be to think critically about what you are really trying to communicate, and say something that has more meaning. I can accept that made up statistics feel like an effective form of communication, but I don't believe that they actually are.

For the record, I will say the bolded part is the source of disagreement. I think estimated percentages can be useful as a starting point to understand how someone intuitively understands a situation at times where actual data is limited.

Even if the actual data suggests something different, it could be that the situation surrounding the last few data points (in the case of Dominion, possibly the most recent few games) had a greater influence on someone's perception than the entirety of the data across history. I suppose that's practically the definition of bias, but I think it's good to recognise the bias, or consider the possibility that someone's understanding of what's being considered has changed at some point in time during the time range of the data points.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2016, 07:43:54 pm »
+2

That's not helping.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »

I mean, we're pretty pedantic here for sure, and I guess some people might not like that. Personally I think the world would be better if people were more sticklers for precision. So when people are imprecise, we generally take them literally and correct them if it sounds wrong, and I can see how that can come off as picking apart your words. But the only reason we're using your words is that if we didn't we'd be putting words in your mouth, which is bad. I don't think you are being roasted, and in saying so I am picking apart what you said. I have a feeling roasted might not be exactly what you mean, but I don't know exactly what you mean, so I have to assume you said what you meant. That's where I'm a pedantic asshole. I sometimes struggle with this irl too; and I'm sure people have gotten the wrong impression from that before. I doubt I'm alone on that in this forum.

You are self aware of the fact, which makes all the difference. I do not think it is "bad" or "wrong" to be that way, as long as you aren't incorrigible and ruthless about the way you go about it. And as long as your endgame is constructive.

See you, I could happily listen as you help me fine tune my thinking. Such a process should be a dance between two minds, rather than a one directional bombardment. And I could have a beer with you and I would be happy to play dominion with you, simply because of what you said here.

I can't say the same for some of the others on here.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:47:07 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2016, 07:46:32 pm »
+5

That's not helping.
He has made so many posts about how nauseating and awful the forum is and how he was leaving forever and he wishes he was banned. It's a genuine question.

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »
+9

Honestly in all of my social experiences in life this forum is by far the worst experience.

OK, that may be literally the stupidest thing I've ever read.  And I read The Damnation Of Pythos by David Annandale.

Unless you are four years old, or have spent your life living in a box, this is not your life's worst social experience.  You have posted on a forum, and then immediately got over-defensive against the people you have perceived as criticising or belittling you when, and here's the rub, as far as I can tell no one was.

If the attitude you have brought to your discourse here is anything like that which you bring to other dealings in your life... no.  No way have you never been treated worse than this.

A tip for you for forums, or the internet in general, from a guy who's been around since the usenet newsgroup days and has avoided posting for a decade and a half because of, well, frankly, people who act like you do, which you can take or leave as you wish.  You see a response you don't like; don't respond.  You're not obliged to, and you'll probably have a happier life if you don't.

On the other hand you seem compelled to do so, even when your response is just to point out that you don't find a joke funny, which if you don't, ask yourself, what the hell is pointing this out going to achieve?

In fact one of the few posts directed straight at you which you have decided not to reply to was when I posted earlier calling you out for being a right rotter to me last month.  No denial, no apology, which is fine by me - I just wasn't going to let you get away with playing the matyr hypocritically - but it strikes me as odd considering everything you have replied to.

My conclusion?  Well, I sincerely hope that you are what the kids these days are calling a troll, and you've come here ti amuse yourself by getting into a few arguments and causing a few squabbles between existing forum members.  Because, goddamnit man, if your interactions here in the last 48 hours have been enough to really make you as upset as you are claiming to be, then you are in for a pretty shitty life.  It gets worse after high school you know.

I will now return to my previously scheduled lurking.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:52:12 pm by Harley_Beckett »

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2016, 07:55:53 pm »
+1

Honestly in all of my social experiences in life this forum is by far the worst experience.

OK, that may be literally the stupidest thing I've ever read. 

Holy fuck did you seriously just write all that? There's no way I am reading all of that.

I guess I am lucky, because I grew up in a good neighborhood in a good country and the worst social experience I've had  next to this one is in high school when the jocks decided to give me wedgies that suspended me in the air by my boxers until my underwear ripped in half (an isolated incident that I did not have to endure routinely)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:57:34 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »
+1

That's not helping.
He has made so many posts about how nauseating and awful the forum is and how he was leaving forever and he wishes he was banned. It's a genuine question.

He only made one post about leaving, I think.  He didn't leave, so obviously he changed his mind.  No need to keep bringing it up.

Did he make more than one "ban me" post?  I only saw one.  If you take it seriously, then he explained there why he doesn't just leave:

Someone please ban me since I am too stupid to voluntarily stop posting.

I don't think it's really serious though.

I agree that the "this forum is the worst" comments are in poor taste and hypocritical.

As a genuine question, there are better ways you could have phrased it.  As it is, it sounded like a passive-aggressive "go away".  Sorry for misreading it though!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 06, 2016, 08:04:12 pm »
+8

That's not helping.

I think it's a perfectly legitimate question.

I do not share Adam's concerns about this community being perceived poorly based on our interactions with jerks like GOON GARDEN. I think most reasonable people who read this thread are going to see the f.DS regulars (sans Adam) as being on the sane side of this little conversation. And the fact is that most new members who join aren't being treated like this because most of them aren't assholes. Take Roadrunner for example. We tease him a bit about Scout and he teases us back, but it's all good times as far as I can tell. I'm glad to have him here and I hope he's happy to be here. Folks like GOON GARDEN I can do without.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 06, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »
+4

That's not helping.

I think it's a perfectly legitimate question.

I do not share Adam's concerns about this community being perceived poorly based on our interactions with jerks like GOON GARDEN. I think most reasonable people who read this thread are going to see the f.DS regulars (sans Adam) as being on the sane side of this little conversation. And the fact is that most new members who join aren't being treated like this because most of them aren't assholes. Take Roadrunner for example. We tease him a bit about Scout and he teases us back, but it's all good times as far as I can tell. I'm glad to have him here and I hope he's happy to be here. Folks like GOON GARDEN I can do without.

I explained already, but it didn't read like a legitimate question to me.  I like Roadrunner. :)

the worst social experience I've had  next to this one is in high school when the jocks decided to give me wedgies that suspended me in the air by my boxers until my underwear ripped in half

OK, yes, that does sound much more pleasant than some people saying that King's Court is good and made-up stats are bad.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 06, 2016, 08:09:42 pm »

Wedgies hurt.

Just saying
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2016, 08:12:00 pm »
+1

Yay, people like Roadrunner!

But do I tease you guys back about Scout? I think I just explain to you how to utilize it. Forgive me for limited knowledge on Jesus Christ, but when he first started telling people about God and stuff, no one listened to him, either. So my account will get destroyed and then everyone will release what a mistake they've made and they won't join Scout in Victory Card heaven. But fear not, for I got my account banned so that you all would make it into Victory Card heaven, to forever play alongside Scout.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »

Although I would like to define "jocks" to make sure we are all on the same page. I would think it is an individual who thinks too highly of himself due to the fact that he is athletically gifted and thus uses his enlarged opinion of himself to bully other individuals.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2016, 08:14:45 pm »

Although I would like to define "jocks" to make sure we are all on the same page. I would think it is an individual who thinks too highly of himself due to the fact that he is athletically gifted and thus uses his enlarged opinion of himself to bully other individuals.
So jocks have to be bullies? I just thought of jocks as arrogant, athletic people.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:36 pm »

So jocks have to be bullies? I just thought of jocks as arrogant, athletic people.

Good point. "Bully" might not be the right word. I included "enlarged opinion of himself." Maybe just change "bully" to "look down on other people who are not similarly gifted athletically."

And just leave bully as a separate category. Not all jocks are bullies, just as not all bullies are jocks. But you can be both as in the situation described concerning wedgies

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2016, 08:32:13 pm »
+2

This is the worst forum I have ever experienced. People picking apart every fucking thing I say.

My god, and I swear the more people pick apart every detail, the less judicious I am with my words and the way I express things.

Fuck off already
I don't take very kindly to language like this. So I'll keep this simple.

I was encouraging and participating in your discussion until you starting slinging mud around. It's your own fault if people threw mud back at you after that.

We have been more than accommodating interacting with you in this regard. Leave your personal issues at home. We don't need the negativity here. If you choose to leave, then leave. If you choose to stay, I suggest being more civil and less emotional.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »

This is the worst forum I have ever experienced. People picking apart every fucking thing I say.

My god, and I swear the more people pick apart every detail, the less judicious I am with my words and the way I express things.

Fuck off already
I don't take very kindly to language like this. So I'll keep this simple.

I was encouraging and participating in your discussion until you starting slinging mud around. It's your own fault if people threw mud back at you after that.

We have been more than accommodating interacting with you in this regard. Leave your personal issues at home. We don't need the negativity here. If you choose to leave, then leave. If you choose to stay, I suggest being more civil and less emotional.

Mud was slung at me far before I started striking back, and even then its wrong for me to do it-- It is regrettable that I can't refrain entirely but when I was keeping it civil nobody was any kinder to me for that.

A man can only take so much, I have endured countless volleys for how many pages, enough already!

I get it -- I do everything wrong and everything I say is wrong including my choice of words for describing it in this way.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:41:40 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2016, 08:50:12 pm »
+1

Mud was slung at me far before I started striking back, and even then its wrong for me to do it-- It is regrettable that I can't refrain entirely but when I was keeping it civil nobody was any kinder to me for that.

Examples?  The first thing I see that I would consider "mud slung" is this post where you call Awaclus somebody who "disagrees for the sake of disagreeing".  Shortly after that, you call him petty.  Before that, it all looks pretty civil to me.  What did I miss?

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2016, 08:52:29 pm »
+1

I guess I am lucky, because I grew up in a good neighborhood in a good country and the worst social experience I've had  next to this one is in high school when the jocks decided to give me wedgies that suspended me in the air by my boxers until my underwear ripped in half (an isolated incident that I did not have to endure routinely)

OP has a history of getting butthurt.  Couldn't have guessed.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2016, 08:52:35 pm »
+3

You didn't like people replying to specific portions of what you posted. That was where you started being defensive and critical of every reply you got. Unless it was deleted, I dare you to go back and find the first post where you got defensive, and the first post where someone started mocking you. I am willing to bet that you getting upset about HOW people were replying happened before anyone started poking fun.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2016, 08:54:43 pm »

You didn't like people replying to specific portions of what you posted. That was where you started being defensive and critical of every reply you got. Unless it was deleted, I dare you to go back and find the first post where you got defensive, and the first post where someone started mocking you. I am willing to bet that you getting upset about HOW people were replying happened before anyone started poking fun.

You are 100% right and I am 100% wrong. Well done.
This user is banned!

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:11 pm »
+3

Holy fuck did you seriously just write all that? There's no way I am reading all of that.

I wish I'd said that to David Annandale.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.