Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 13)  (Read 15115 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 13)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 07:04:39 am »

It must be sometimes terminal and sometimes not. This could include playing another card, or conditionally giving +actions, etc.
It must be able to trash a card (one of yours).
It must be able to gain a card.
Keeping in mind that it will also have a reaction that reacts to anyone gaining a card (with conditions on the gained card); the card must be strong enough that it should cost $5 or more.

Some Card - Action / Reaction - $5

+1<VP>
Trash a card from your hand.
+<VP> equal to half the number of differently named cards in the trash, rounded down. <-- This wording is a bit awkward
You may spend any number of <VP>. +1 Action per <VP> spent this way.

When another player gains a card, you may discard this.
If you do, +<VP> equal to half its cost in Coins, rounded down and your opponent may trash a card from his hand.

It might be trying to do a bit too much, but I'm open to tweaks.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:15 am »

It must be sometimes terminal and sometimes not. This could include playing another card, or conditionally giving +actions, etc.
It must be able to trash a card (one of yours).
It must be able to gain a card.
Keeping in mind that it will also have a reaction that reacts to anyone gaining a card (with conditions on the gained card); the card must be strong enough that it should cost $5 or more.

+1<VP>
+<VP> equal to half the number of differently named cards in the trash, rounded down. <-- This wording is a bit awkward

When another player gains a card, you may discard this.
If you do, +<VP> equal to half its cost in Coins, rounded down and your opponent may trash a card from his hand.

It might be trying to do a bit too much, but I'm open to tweaks.

I like the idea of spending VP tokens to do something, but I can totally see non-competitive players looking at this aspect of the card with disgust.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:43 am »

+1<VP>

Still needs to gain, though. I do wonder if adding "gain a card costing the same as the trashed card" would keep it about the same power-level. It would make it much weaker as as a trasher, being unable to get rid of Coppers. But it would make it stronger in that you could get more cards into the trash without losing good cards from your deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:06 am »

Keeping with the generally informal nature of the way I've been handling this, the deadline for submissions is sometime a little later today, in about 8 hours or so. Keep the submissions coming!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 11:26:10 am »

Since everything's so informal, here's a under-the-line idea:
When a player gains a card, you may reveal this from your hand and discard a card to reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the gained card. Put it in your hand and discard the other revealed cards.

I'm afraid I might have to leave the internet alone for a while because of exams and I like the idea so I'd like you folks to see it anyway.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »

Just to be clear, the poll won't include reactions, right?  So many people are posting ideas with both parts.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:46 pm »

I'm trying to keep the top short, to save space for an interesting reaction.  Something like this, maybe?

Trash a card you have in play.  Gain a copy of a card you have in play.  +1 Action for each copy of this in the Trash.

It's terminal if none of them have been trashed, but even the first play of it can be non-terminal since it can trash itself.  I think 1:1 scaling on the +action would be interesting, especially if this is the only "village", but it can be changed if needed for balance.

Another idea I had for "sometimes non-terminal" was "+1 Action for each empty Supply pile".

I really like this one, but I would strongly prefer it with "+1 Action per empty Supply pile". Can I put forth that as an option, despite it not being my idea?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »

Just to be clear, the poll won't include reactions, right?  So many people are posting ideas with both parts.
Correct. I think a few (myself included) are doing this to so the "self-synergy" of the two parts. I think this is valuable considering the proposed cost of $5. However, this does not mean the reaction part is completely fixed to the action itself.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:18 pm »

I'm trying to keep the top short, to save space for an interesting reaction.  Something like this, maybe?

Trash a card you have in play.  Gain a copy of a card you have in play.  +1 Action for each copy of this in the Trash.

It's terminal if none of them have been trashed, but even the first play of it can be non-terminal since it can trash itself.  I think 1:1 scaling on the +action would be interesting, especially if this is the only "village", but it can be changed if needed for balance.

Another idea I had for "sometimes non-terminal" was "+1 Action for each empty Supply pile".

I really like this one, but I would strongly prefer it with "+1 Action per empty Supply pile". Can I put forth that as an option, despite it not being my idea?
I don't see myself buying it very often, if not for a good reaction part.
* Doesn't work as your only village because it will trash itself
* can't usually clear copper
*Action minting sounds cool but for 5c I'll probably prefer to directly buy the action itself, rather than a not-even-cantrip Upgrade variant that can only upgrade Actions. And to work that way, it needs to have villages or both expendable and desirable cantrips.
I might be missing something.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2016, 01:28:45 pm »

Correct. And most of the ideas that I've received via PM haven't had a reaction.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2016, 01:30:02 pm »

Absolutely, no reason the poll can't have both options. Unless we were dealing with dozens of options or something, and we're not.

mustang255

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: Mustang255
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
    • Souva Games
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2016, 01:59:18 pm »

Gamma - $5
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $2 more. If it is an,
action card, +2 actions
treasure card, +$2
victory card, +2 cards

Ironworks/Remodel hybrid.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 02:03:44 pm »

Gamma - $5
action card, +2 actions
treasure card, +$2
victory card, +2 cards

Tribute comes to mind as well.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 03:02:04 pm »

Gamma - $5
action card, +2 actions
treasure card, +$2
victory card, +2 cards

It needs to clarify whether "it" refers to the gained card or the trashed card. I'm unsure which you meant currently.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:05 pm »
+2

We seem to have fallen into a different alphabet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2016, 03:31:55 pm »

Wow I just noticed that. Thanks Gubump!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2016, 04:02:49 pm »

I wanted to submit a card, but put off thinking about it till today. So I didn't think about it much, and it turned out silly. oh well.

Hogwash
If your Hogwash Mat is empty, +1 Card, +1 Action.
Reveal the top card of your deck. Trash it, discard it, or put it back. If you trashed it, play a card from your Hogwash mat. If there is still at least one card on your Hogwash mat, +$3.
-
When any player gains an action card, you may set this aside. If you do, put a copy of the gained card from the supply onto your Hogwash mat and play this at the start of your next turn.
(I originally called it Gee Wiz, but then I noticed we were on H.)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2016, 04:05:45 pm »
+2

Gamma - $5
action card, +2 actions
treasure card, +$2
victory card, +2 cards

Blue dog hybrid.

It needs to clarify whether "it" refers to the gained card or the trashed card. I'm unsure which you meant currently.
ftfy

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2016, 04:12:26 pm »

Absolutely, no reason the poll can't have both options. Unless we were dealing with dozens of options or something, and we're not.

I'm afraid of that splitting votes though.  Would it OK for the entry to just be "Trash a card you have in play. Gain a copy of a card you have in play. +1 action per [TBD]"?

I don't see myself buying it very often, if not for a good reaction part.
* Doesn't work as your only village because it will trash itself
* can't usually clear copper
*Action minting sounds cool but for 5c I'll probably prefer to directly buy the action itself, rather than a not-even-cantrip Upgrade variant that can only upgrade Actions. And to work that way, it needs to have villages or both expendable and desirable cantrips.
I might be missing something.

It's intentionally weak precisely to allow for a powerful reaction.  Keep in mind that it's a gainer with a reaction to gaining, so it will probably have strong self-synergy.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 04:47:58 pm »
+2

I'm afraid of that splitting votes though.  Would it OK for the entry to just be "Trash a card you have in play. Gain a copy of a card you have in play. +1 action per [TBD]"?

If the poll allows people to vote for as many options as they like, it wouldn't matter, right?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 04:49:48 pm »

If the poll allows people to vote for as many options as they like, it wouldn't matter, right?

I believe this is correct.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:14 pm »
+1

Hm, fair point.  Though I think that there may be other possibilities as well, which could be better determined later.  I kind of think that "per copy in the trash" may be too steep while "per empty supply pile" may be too mild.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »

I'm sure many people came up with mechanics that they haven't mentioned as they want their card to be unique. I am not a part of that group, but we will see when the poll comes out.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:12 pm »

Hm, fair point.  Though I think that there may be other possibilities as well, which could be better determined later.  I kind of think that "per copy in the trash" may be too steep while "per empty supply pile" may be too mild.

Good point; since what we really care about for this step is voting on the concept/mechanic, then we'll use +1 action per [tbd].

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »

Good point; since what we really care about for this step is voting on the concept/mechanic, then we'll use +1 action per [tbd].

I'd encourage others to generalize the less important parts of their concepts too. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.