Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 13)  (Read 15113 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+1

Ok, so we've narrowed things down quite a bit. Time for open submissions. But in the spirit of doing this piece at a time, we're still going to do the action and reaction separately. We already know that the 2 halves work together, so no need particularly for the reaction to come first so that the action can fit. That being said, please submit to me your ideas for the top half of this card. Preferably by PM. Feel free to post general thoughts here so that there can be discussion.

Deadline is Wednesday, then I'll make a poll with all the ideas.

As a reminder, here's the restrictions for what your mechanic/idea must contain:

It must be sometimes terminal and sometimes not. This could include playing another card, or conditionally giving +actions, etc.
It must be able to trash a card (one of yours).
It must be able to gain a card.
Keeping in mind that it will also have a reaction that reacts to anyone gaining a card (with conditions on the gained card); the card must be strong enough that it should cost or more.

Do not include card names with submissions; name will be decided after.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 13)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 06:12:19 pm »
+1

So to get the ideas rolling... I just realized that Spice Merchant meets both the "trasher" and "sometimes terminal" conditions. So that sort of thing is a possible idea that's already been done.

Also, what benefit you get could be based on the trashed card. Trashing treasure could get you +1 action while trashing victory could let you gain a card. This sort of thing would fulfill all requirements. Just some thoughts.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »
+2

The Action half of the card could be 100% terminal, and the Reaction could be/include "you may play this from your hand". Sometimes terminal, sometimes non-terminal.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:36:32 pm »
+1

The Action half of the card could be 100% terminal, and the Reaction could be/include "you may play this from your hand". Sometimes terminal, sometimes non-terminal.

Gendo said that his intention was that the optional non-terminalness would be related to the top half:

Maybe the sometimes non-terminal-ness could relate to the reaction? Not sure how it would work, but sure, I'll vote special.

Well it can definitely relate, but my intention was that it's specifically sometimes non-terminal when played. So this would count as fully terminal, not "special":

Special Moat

+2 cards
------------------------
When you draw a card, you may discard this. If you do, +2 actions.

I guess that could count, though.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:19:54 am »

What kind of problems would we run into by doing a Scheme-type selection. "Choose a card you have in play, trash it or gain a copy of it" mumbo-jumbo.

Obviously, careful word selection is necessary.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:35:07 am »

Can I /tag? I think I'm going to.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 02:11:34 am »
+1

Ok, I'll take a shot. Feel free to bash this, suggest changes, or ignore it.

[Alfa] Action/Reaction $5

Trash a card from your hand. Gain an Action card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

If the gained card costs $4 or less, +1 Action.
--------------
When a player (including you) gains an Action card, you may discard this from your hand, to gain an Action card costing up to $1 less than the gained card.

This is obviously a hybrid of Ironworks and of Graverobber's Remodel function, with a weak Smuggler-type reaction. Don't know if it's strong enough. Should the Remodel part only allow cards costing $2 more than the trashed card?

PS. I named it Alfa so that we can keep track of the suggestions; the next suggestion can be Bravo, then Charlie, etc.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:22:10 am by Marcory »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 09:45:37 am »

Trash a card from your hand. Gain an Action card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

--------------
When a player (including you) gains an Action card, you may discard this from your hand, to gain an Action card costing up to $1 less than the gained card.

This is obviously a hybrid of Ironworks and of Graverobber's Remodel function, with a weak Smuggler-type reaction. Don't know if it's strong enough. Should the Remodel part only allow cards costing $2 more than the trashed card?

PS. I named it Alfa so that we can keep track of the suggestions; the next suggestion can be Bravo, then Charlie, etc.

I feel like this is stronger than Expand at less cost.

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 01:58:48 pm »

Bravo
Action - Reaction - $5
Trash a card from your hand.  Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.  If the trashed card is an action, +1 action.  If the gained card is an action, play it.
----
When any player gains a card, if it is an action, you may set this card aside.  If you do, at the start of your next turn, play this card as if it were the gained card.  This card is that card until it leaves play.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »

--------------

Actually, i like this quite a bit, allthough i'd suggest to just use "up to $2 more" and drop the action restriction. Besides that, a Remodel variant that sometimes is nonterminal looks nifty.

For the bottom, no idea. I think a reaction that reacts to any player gaining a card begs to be a Swindler variant, which isn't that novel in my opinion. But meh, gotta work with what we got, so:

Charlie, $5, Action - Reaction
Trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it. You may put the gained card on top of your deck. If you don't, +1 Action
----
When any player gains a card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a cheaper card that is not a victory card.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »

Well, I did initially send it as a PM, but here's what I came up with as a starting point. I haven't studied my cards recently so my language may be off.

Delta $5 Action-Reaction

Choose an Action you have in play, including this. You may Gain a copy of it. If you do, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn. Otherwise, Trash it and +1 Action.
------
When you Gain an Action, you may reveal this. If you do, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 11:16:12 pm »
+2

I initially sent it as a PM, but here's mine:

Epsilon:
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, trash it, then gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, playing it.
Cost: $5/$6

No reaction yet because Gendo said in the OP that we're doing top-half and bottom-half separately.

--------------

I thought so, too, but I just now realized after rereading it that it can only gain Actions.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 11:18:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 11:23:47 pm »

Wow, I am fully supporting Epsilon - simple and interesting.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 11:32:47 pm »

Thanks, I'm glad you like that one!

Rafy235

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:03 am »

I'll take a shot:

---- action/attack/reaction 5$
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a card.
Choose one: Gain a copy of one of the discarded cards, or trash up to two cards from your hand or discard pile, or +1 Action per card discarded.

It only works once per turn, unless: (insert barrage of edge cases here.)
The gain a discarded card is also weak due to people discarding their worse card, but can be helpful if you hit them near the end game on an estate, or they're playing a slim deck where all their cards are valuable. Either way, the card cleverly moats itself. Trashing is good, but you allow your opponent to use this to take advantage of that, and vice versa, so nice interaction there.
Little large so it'll need a small reaction, thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:55:14 am by Rafy235 »

Rafy235

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 01:20:41 am »
+1

Thanks, I'm glad you like that one!

It seems far to similar to procession, still cool though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:49:47 am »

--------------

I thought so, too, but I just now realized after rereading it that it can only gain Actions.

I don't think that's nearly enough of a limitation. Graverobber isn't too strong because it can only TRASH actions. Actions are the things you usually want to be gaining most of the time anyway. Sure you can't use it to turn those $5s into Provinces towards the end, but that ability must not by why Expand costs $7, because Graverobber CAN do that. Expand costs $7 because turning Estates into $5 actions is huge. So is turning Coppers into $3 actions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 09:51:06 am »

I'll take a shot:

---- action/attack/reaction 5$
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a card.
Choose one: Gain a copy of one of the discarded cards, or trash up to two cards from your hand or discard pile, or +1 Action per card discarded.

It only works once per turn, unless: (insert barrage of edge cases here.)
The gain a discarded card is also weak due to people discarding their worse card, but can be helpful if you hit them near the end game on an estate, or they're playing a slim deck where all their cards are valuable. Either way, the card cleverly moats itself. Trashing is good, but you allow your opponent to use this to take advantage of that, and vice versa, so nice interaction there.
Little large so it'll need a small reaction, thoughts?

Sorry but attacks are not allowed (we voted it as not an attack early on).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 09:56:14 am »
+1

Just a note that my intention here is that this vote will be to decide the mechanic, not necessarily all of the specifics. That is to say, we could have Alpha in the vote, and if it's chosen, still decide later that it needs to be $2 more, not $3 more, to be balanced.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 07:42:33 pm »
+3

I'm trying to keep the top short, to save space for an interesting reaction.  Something like this, maybe?

Trash a card you have in play.  Gain a copy of a card you have in play.  +1 Action for each copy of this in the Trash.

It's terminal if none of them have been trashed, but even the first play of it can be non-terminal since it can trash itself.  I think 1:1 scaling on the +action would be interesting, especially if this is the only "village", but it can be changed if needed for balance.

Another idea I had for "sometimes non-terminal" was "+1 Action for each empty Supply pile".
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:43:54 pm by eHalcyon »

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 12:31:38 am »

I like it. But does it make three-piling too easy?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:04 am »
+2

It's worse than Ironworks at doing that...

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 05:02:07 pm »

It's worse than Ironworks at doing that...

I don't know if it's worse (probably as is, but the reaction could change that) but I did intend for it to make it easier to three pile.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 11:37:15 pm »
+1

I'm trying to keep the top short, to save space for an interesting reaction.  Something like this, maybe?

Trash a card you have in play.  Gain a copy of a card you have in play.  +1 Action for each copy of this in the Trash.

It's terminal if none of them have been trashed, but even the first play of it can be non-terminal since it can trash itself.  I think 1:1 scaling on the +action would be interesting, especially if this is the only "village", but it can be changed if needed for balance.

Another idea I had for "sometimes non-terminal" was "+1 Action for each empty Supply pile".

Is it too strong to switch the order of trash and gain? My concern here is that if you don't have the chance to play other cards before this (which, on some boards, will be just how it is), then the "gain a card" will do nothing for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:04 am »

Is it too strong to switch the order of trash and gain? My concern here is that if you don't have the chance to play other cards before this (which, on some boards, will be just how it is), then the "gain a card" will do nothing for you.

Switching it would make it easier to play, which is less interesting to me.  The trick here is that the "gain a card" always has the chance to do something.  Suppose the kingdom is all terminals.  Play a copy of this and trash it.  Play a second copy of this and trash it again.  Now they are Villages, problem solved!  In practice, this is probably a terrible idea, but perhaps the Reaction can improve it there.

If this idea wins and the reaction doesn't help it out, switching the order is a simple buff if needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.