Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My Survivor audition video  (Read 10028 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
My Survivor audition video
« on: December 28, 2015, 11:36:54 pm »
+4

I've tried out for Survivor (the CBS reality show) for four years now, this year will be number five. I've solicited some advice on the forums in the past, but I'm taking some new approaches this year and putting quite a bit of time into my video. If you would like to watch my video and/or critique it, you are welcome to do so. I'd really like to get on this show and I think I would be excellent TV.

A few things:

1. If you're just going to tell me "great video, you'd be awesome on Survivor! Good luck!" then I'd like for you to politely suggest that you rethink your comments. I've been told this about all four of my previous videos and have never even been called back. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. If something isn't working or doesn't make sense or reflects poorly, tell me about it. I don't want to submit a video with a bad thing on it. The thing that would hurt my feelings the most is not getting called back by CBS and not getting on their show.

2. This video is 45 seconds too long. I'm not quite sure what to cut out of it -- the section with my wife in the middle is unedited, I know that will have to be trimmed down and made more concise but I'm not really sure what's working there and what isn't. Suggestions here are welcome -- if something sucks and I should take it out, please say so.

3. The only thing I have a video of and/or thought about putting in this video that isn't in there is the fact that I play saxophone in a jazz band. Here's the clip for that -- I'm not sure how to fit it into what's already there or if it's worth putting in, though.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: My Survivor audition video
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »
+3

great video, you'd be awesome on Survivor! Good luck!

I haven't watched it yet.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:48:05 pm »
+2

Wow, that was...really something. You might want to reshoot the scene with your wife and get her to talk faster, or you might be able to get away with just editing out her pauses. I'm not sure why the scene with Lexie is in there. If it's to show that you have a dog, your wife was petting Lexie during her part. I will try to think of more to add, but I would totally watch Survivor if you got on.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:12 pm »
+4

I'm not sure why you chose that first Dominion clip specifically. Also you're underplaying how good you are at Dominion; "not the best" suggests at best mediocre, but the number of people who you could make an argument are 'better than you' (if we had a good rating system) has at most two digits; and a whole lot of people have played Dominion before.

If you're looking to cut out something, I'd suggest one of the 55+ times where you reiterate how much you want to be on the show (okay it actually wasn't that much).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 12:02:30 am »
+2

Having never seen Survivor, nor ever watched real audition video, I'm not sure how much insight I am able to give.

The first thing I noticed was that the video is much more focused at the end than the beginning. More (short) clips seems better. Pretend you are making a commercial. Get the point across in 15 seconds, add 15 seconds of reinforcement to it. Your wife and dog are not auditioning, so their footage should be focused only on why you should be on the show. You may need to have her rehearse to get her into the video. Your dog may or may not fit, and possibly only as filler after you have cut down to the key footage.

Your friends may buy from you with little effort, now try selling yourself to strangers.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:15:47 am »
+1

Didn't watch the video yet, but I have to ask:

Are you sure you want to go on Survivor? Going five and a half weeks without food doesn't seem all that fun to me.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:59:14 am »

You might want to reshoot the scene with your wife and get her to talk faster, or you might be able to get away with just editing out her pauses.

The first thing I noticed was that the video is much more focused at the end than the beginning. More (short) clips seems better. Pretend you are making a commercial. Get the point across in 15 seconds, add 15 seconds of reinforcement to it.

Editing out pauses can (and will) be done if those clips get included -- it feels much slower because the part at the end has been much more thought out because I knew exactly what I wanted to include. The beginning part can have the same pace as that but the fact remains that I still need to cut a big part of that and I'm not sure which part (content-wise) is less compelling, is it all of the stuff with the wife and dog or is there a specific part that's working as well? FWIW, that's the only footage I have that wasn't shot at least twice just to make it more polished.

I'm not sure why the scene with Lexie is in there. If it's to show that you have a dog, your wife was petting Lexie during her part.

The scene with her in the snow was supposed to make me more relate-able and show some of my candid humor. May I assume that's not coming across?

I'm not sure why you chose that first Dominion clip specifically. Also you're underplaying how good you are at Dominion; "not the best" suggests at best mediocre, but the number of people who you could make an argument are 'better than you' (if we had a good rating system) has at most two digits; and a whole lot of people have played Dominion before.

I appreciate that you think I'm good at Dominion. You may even be right :P I'm pretty sure that the casting folks at CBS don't care how good I am at Dominion, so I used the "may not be the best but I'm the most entertaining" line to play up what I think they want to hear. As for the first Dominion clip, a lot of people who frequent my channel say that that video is one of the funniest videos I've ever made, so I wanted to show me being funny on stream. Is that not coming across?

Didn't watch the video yet, but I have to ask:

Are you sure you want to go on Survivor? Going five and a half weeks without food doesn't seem all that fun to me.

It's not about fun, it's about an obsession. I don't want the reason I don't get on that show to be because I didn't try my hardest to get on.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:27:57 am »
+2

That clip is probably only funny if you saw the contrast of shuffle luck that led up to it. You can probably find something funnier.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:59:47 am »
+3

Do you have access to any successful audition videos?  Is there a set of submission guidelines somewhere we should see?

Could you post the previous failed submissions somewhere?  It might help to see whether you're doing something fundamentally new.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:38:38 am »
+1

Do you have access to any successful audition videos?  Is there a set of submission guidelines somewhere we should see?

Here's what I've got:

blog

videos

another video

Could you post the previous failed submissions somewhere?  It might help to see whether you're doing something fundamentally new.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those. Suffice it to say that each year has been something fundamentally new and given the resources I've shared above, all of my previous videos sucked horribly and it's no wonder they didn't call me back.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:52:59 am »
+6

given the resources I've shared above, all of my previous videos sucked horribly and it's no wonder they didn't call me back.

You make your own Survivor luck.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 12:22:20 pm »
+8

I thought the video was not good at all.

The dominion stream where you are yelling at the audience? Seriously? I think you are trying to showcase your humor but I think you are failing here in a big way.
The bit with your wife is also not good at all. It's slow and ponderous.

the whole thing needs to be about how awesome you are and how everyone in your life loves you and it just oozes out of them without you having to interview them. that is, the context doesn't have to do much with survivor at all. You are way too survivor-centric. You need to be AdamH-centric. I would err more on the side of never talking about Survivor at all than to go on and on and practically grovel at their feet.

The video actually gets good when you cut to the rock climbing and tell me how you like danger and stupidity and have set a world record. You tell me how smart you are and how competitive you would be.

But then, you get another friend to tell us what a Survivor geek you are. I think this is completely useless, redundant, and hurts your case.

In fact, I think the only good bit is the part where you are rock-climbing and doing a voice-over.

Edit-Disclaimer: I have never watched Survivor. I have never seen any other auditions for this show.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:25:25 pm by pingpongsam »
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »
+3

The dominion stream where you are yelling at the audience? Seriously? I think you are trying to showcase your humor but I think you are failing here in a big way.

the whole thing needs to be about how awesome you are and how everyone in your life loves you and it just oozes out of them without you having to interview them. that is, the context doesn't have to do much with survivor at all. You are way too survivor-centric. You need to be AdamH-centric. I would err more on the side of never talking about Survivor at all than to go on and on and practically grovel at their feet.

The video actually gets good when you cut to the rock climbing and tell me how you like danger and stupidity and have set a world record. You tell me how smart you are and how competitive you would be.

But then, you get another friend to tell us what a Survivor geek you are. I think this is completely useless, redundant, and hurts your case.

In fact, I think the only good bit is the part where you are rock-climbing and doing a voice-over.

Edit-Disclaimer: I have never watched Survivor. I have never seen any other auditions for this show.

I agree with PPS here.  I don't like the clip of your streaming or the ones with your wife and your dog.  I think you need an audition tape that sets you apart so one that has you screaming about how you should be on their show doesn't really help your case because they probably get a ton of those already.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:41 pm »
+5

Nice!  :) I thought this was much nicer looking and better than your previous videos. Some not so organized thoughts:

I didn't really get the part with the dog, seemed redundant so if it's too long I would start with cutting that and tightening the scene with the wife. I thought the best parts where the climbing parts and the forum survivor stuff - especially the shot where you had your Probst shirt on was golden.

I like that you have an angle now,  being the nerdy, smart and competitive yet silly/childish and obnoxious superfan. It's a sad reality that they only cast one of those per season, and it must be the most competed spot there is. You know, if you were an LA mactor or a bikini blonde or even a cop, construction worker or a firefighter, you'd realistically have such a better chance, unfortunate but it is what it is. I can't think of a better angle for you though, ultimately you just have to find the side of yourself that convinces them you'd make great tv.

The question about allotting to repeating how much of a fan you are and how much you want this is interesting. Maybe it's best to just show that with the f.ds survivor segments? Like, you wearing a collared blue shirt and putting someones torch out saying "Robz, the tribe has spoken" SHOWS how much of a superfan you are, which ought to stand out from the hordes of other fans SAYING it in their video, in the vein of Cochran having written a Harvard paper on jury management sold them on his passion. Does that make sense?

Also, maybe use the picture with Rupert at some point? You know how they love Rupert, and it shows long term commitment.

tldr: Play up the funny, smart, competitive obnoxious and comfortable with yourself qualities (and if you can think of others, all the better). I don't think "I want this so much" is the best way to stand out considering the casting spot you are fighting of.

Lastly, GOOD LUCK!!! <3<3<3  I'm giddy just thinking about how awesome it would be if you got on.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:37 pm »

Yep, pretty much exactly what sam says.

Disclaimer:  Not only have I never watched Survivor, I think Survivor, as the first mainstream reality show, is one of the many things that ruined American television.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 10:20:22 pm »
+2

A lot of people seem to think this, I'm trying really hard to get something constructive out of this. Hopefully people can help/clarify.

All of this I actually get -- I know what to do with this stuff. This is good feedback, I've +1ed your post (along with several others) and I appreciate that you've taken the time to type this. There are parts of Adam's fanboy-ness that I can take out. The stream highlight at the beginning doesn't seem to accomplish what I wanted so I need to find another one. The parts in the beginning are not edited/polished the way the other ones are.

Now the parts that I am having trouble with:

So the point of this video is not to convince anyone that I'm a good person. It's not like a job interview where I'm trying to exemplify good qualities about myself that make me a good person. I want to show them why I'd make good TV, and part of that angle is the whole it's-funny-when-I-get-mad thing that sometimes across on my streams, part of it is that people will enjoy watching the conflicts I create with other people they cast. A lot of what's in the articles I linked talks about this, so it's hard for me to get much out of this when the people saying this simultaneously admit that they don't watch Survivor, don't like the show, and show they haven't read the resources I provided.

If I take out or redo the parts where my wife is talking and where I'm talking, I want those parts need to be represented somehow: I'm polarizing, strong-willed, stubborn; I want to communicate that. I'm smart in a lot of ways but not afraid to do stupid things/make stupid jokes. I am a huge fan of the show (this is going to be part of the video, the question is how much and it's easy to make it less than what it is). Is there a disagreement that these are things I want to show?

I'm not saying you have to read the articles, but I'm saying there's a reason the focus is where it is. If people who have read what these articles have to say are telling me I should include stuff like this then I'm going to listen to them over people who didn't and/or I'm not clear on what they're saying. The people echoing PPS's post are echoing the whole thing and this specific part I don't know what to do about it.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 10:43:46 pm »
+3

So the point of this video is not to convince anyone that I'm a good person. It's not like a job interview where I'm trying to exemplify good qualities about myself that make me a good person. I want to show them why I'd make good TV, and part of that angle is the whole it's-funny-when-I-get-mad thing that sometimes across on my streams, part of it is that people will enjoy watching the conflicts I create with other people they cast. A lot of what's in the articles I linked talks about this, so it's hard for me to get much out of this when the people saying this simultaneously admit that they don't watch Survivor, don't like the show, and show they haven't read the resources I provided.

If I take out or redo the parts where my wife is talking and where I'm talking, I want those parts need to be represented somehow: I'm polarizing, strong-willed, stubborn; I want to communicate that. I'm smart in a lot of ways but not afraid to do stupid things/make stupid jokes. I am a huge fan of the show (this is going to be part of the video, the question is how much and it's easy to make it less than what it is). Is there a disagreement that these are things I want to show?

I'm not saying you have to read the articles, but I'm saying there's a reason the focus is where it is. If people who have read what these articles have to say are telling me I should include stuff like this then I'm going to listen to them over people who didn't and/or I'm not clear on what they're saying. The people echoing PPS's post are echoing the whole thing and this specific part I don't know what to do about it.

I think Sam is not objecting to you being polarizing. His critique was that the content of your video was a lot about you wanting to be part of survivors- CBS probably knows that, you made a video application. So there is no need to tell them about it, rather use your time about talking why they want you on the show. ( I think your description is pretty accurate about who they would like to cast)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 12:20:33 am »
+1

I agree with drsteelhammer here. Instead of telling them you would make tv, show them. I think you are on the right track but the part with your dog and with the steaming were too far out of context for me to find them funny.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 08:21:13 am »
+2

To difficult to edit post on tablet but I am going to disagree and say that this is a job interview. The job criteria is to be very likable because the whole idea is for an audience to be torn over having you or someone else on the show. The other option is to be the guy everyone wants off the show but is kept anyway to create drama. You don't strike me as the drama guy at all.

Outside of all that, my understanding is these things are actually highly scripted so your ability to act is part of the deal too. At the very least dropping the focused realism is good. The rock climbing scene is superb not only because the content is perfect but also because it demonstrates actual production skills. It's the cowbell you need more of. I think you could stick with your same selling points but present with an entirely different delivery.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 04:07:45 pm »
+1

To difficult to edit post on tablet but I am going to disagree and say that this is a job interview. The job criteria is to be very likable because the whole idea is for an audience to be torn over having you or someone else on the show. The other option is to be the guy everyone wants off the show but is kept anyway to create drama. You don't strike me as the drama guy at all.

I've submitted multiple videos that are like job interviews. I didn't get called back. Every legitimate resource I've ever seen has said this is the wrong approach. People get cast for all kinds of reasons -- I just want to show them that I will make great TV and if they see that they will get on the show. I can't misrepresent myself or else I won't get any further than a phone interview or an in-person interview with them. What reason do you have to support what you're saying?

Outside of all that, my understanding is these things are actually highly scripted so your ability to act is part of the deal too.

This is just not true. I've spoken directly and indirectly with multiple people who have been on the show and nobody I've talked to would agree with this claim. Maybe other "reality shows" are scripted but Survivor is technically considered a game show and is held to different rules than the rest of them -- if it was scripted or rigged in any way they wouldn't be around anymore. What evidence do you have to support this?

Even if it was scripted, I can't play the angle of being the fanboy that I am and at the same time be like "look I know it's fake but put me on anyways." They cast fans of the show a good amount of the time (not nearly as much as they should, imo) and I'm not going to misrepresent myself.

Man, I was trying to get some value out of your feedback but now all I get is that the parts that are more cleanly edited and streamlined are better than the parts that aren't. I already knew that, I addressed it multiple times in this thread. It's really hard to take anything you have to say seriously when you so clearly show that you know absolutely nothing about the casting process or the TV show in general.

Anyone who has agreed with anything PPS has said, I would appreciate it if you would be more specific as to what you agree with and why. If people think these things for good reasons I'm willing to listen.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 04:10:20 pm »
+1

His critique was that the content of your video was a lot about you wanting to be part of survivors- CBS probably knows that, you made a video application. So there is no need to tell them about it, rather use your time about talking why they want you on the show. ( I think your description is pretty accurate about who they would like to cast)

The sad truth is that about half of the people who get on the show are recruited. Casting people go to the beaches near LA or taco stands or night clubs, find attractive people looking for modeling/acting jobs and tell them to submit videos and they can get fast-tracked through. So telling them that I'm a legit fan of the show from the midwest isn't something they get for free just from the fact that I submitted a video application. Of course I can emphasize it less but that needs to be a part of my pitch.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:36:32 pm »

I will say I initially watched your audition because I expected your appearance to be an automatic disqualifier. However, while you are not going to be heartthrob material, you definitely have sufficiently good genetics that I don't think your appearance will work against you at all. While they will no doubt cast some extra attractive people I don't expect you have to compete on that front.

I would ask if you have watched the audition videos for those people you know who did get selected for previous seasons?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 10:52:24 pm »

I will say I initially watched your audition because I expected your appearance to be an automatic disqualifier. However, while you are not going to be heartthrob material, you definitely have sufficiently good genetics that I don't think your appearance will work against you at all. While they will no doubt cast some extra attractive people I don't expect you have to compete on that front.

I would ask if you have watched the audition videos for those people you know who did get selected for previous seasons?

I was writing a response to this post but my wife informed me that I was "just feeding the trolls." So I will simply ask you to read my posts in this thread. All the answers you want are in there.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »
+2

I was writing a response to this post but my wife informed me that I was "just feeding the trolls." So I will simply ask you to read my posts in this thread. All the answers you want are in there.
Oh, come on. We're not trolls!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:21 pm »
+1

Oh, come on. We're not trolls!

Yeah, we're Wandering Winder.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.