Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A second half to Alchemy  (Read 7647 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
A second half to Alchemy
« on: December 26, 2015, 05:00:53 am »
+1

Before I go into anything, there are some MASSIVE DISCLAIMERS to get through. First, I use the masculine pronouns in the card text here. This is not due to sexism, I'm just trying to stay with the standards set by the official cards. Second, This is intended to be a half-set. (For anyone who hasn't figured out the system yet, that means 13 kingdom cards) Third, this is still a WIP. At the time of posting, I have only 9 of 13 cards semi-finished, and those have not been play-tested. Fourth, I am open to feedback, including ideas for the four final cards, but please do not just instantly shoot down my ideas. Give it some thought, then give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Help me fix issues. You can play-test it yourself even, if you want. So with that out of the way, on to the topic at hand.

After having Alchemy for a couple of years, my family and I have noticed it lacks a couple things. It could use an alternate source of potion currency, and cards that cost multiple potions, or some other incentive to get more than one of those things. So here's what I came up with (Note: P represents potion):

Elixir
Treasure, $2PP
+P
When you play this, +1 coin for every two actions you have in play

Fountain of Youth
Action, $1PP
Play an action again that you already have in play. Then choose one: either +1 Card per P in its cost; or +$1 per P in its cost.

Alchemist's Lab (I'm looking for a different name for this one)
Action, 2P
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, then put them into your hand. If either of those cards has at least one P in its cost, +1 Action

Werewolf
Action—Attack, $3PP
Each other Player reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal one that costs from 3 to 6PP. Trash it and discard the rest. If the discarded cards include at least one:
Action, +2 Actions
Treasure, +$2
Victory, +2 Cards

Alchemist's Seal
(I got the line for the reaction by using a bunch of spaces w/ strike-through)
Action—Reaction, $2P
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an action or treasure, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

When another player plays an attack card, you can reveal this card to set it aside, then set aside the top card of your deck face-down. (You may look at the card.) At the start of your next turn, reveal the face-down card. If it is an Action or Treasure, play it. Otherwise discard it. Then discard this card.

Alchemical Notes
Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
While this is in play, all cards in the supply cost P less.

Research Grant
Action, $5
+1 Buy
+P
While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash this card. If you do, gain a card costing less than the card you bought.

Test Subject
Action, $3P
Trash a potion. If you do, reveal your hand. Gain a card costing up to twice the number of P in the cost of the cards in your hand. If a card in your hand has more than one P in its cost, +$1.

Enlightened Township
Victory, PP
Worth 2 Victory for every 3 cards in your deck that have one or more P in their cost.

So there's my ideas. Feedback, as well as ideas for the four other cards is appreciated. please note that the 6PP in werewolf is intended to allow it to trash cards that cost potions, and does not mean I plan to include a card costing 6PP. However, I am not entirely opposed to that idea either.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:46:13 am by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: A second half to Alchemy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 06:04:23 am »
+2

Not a fan of cards that cost two Potions. You gotta buy two Potions and make them match, so if you want these cards you very well might have to buy 3 Potions.
Potion alone can already be too swingy (Familiar so two Potions probably make the game too luck-dependent.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 06:44:57 am »
+1

Not a fan of cards that cost two Potions. You gotta buy two Potions and make them match, so if you want these cards you very well might have to buy 3 Potions.
Potion alone can already be too swingy (Familiar so two Potions probably make the game too luck-dependent.
I see your point, but part of the point of having the two potion cards is to make the potion a bit more useful. As for the making the potions match, I already have a couple alternates to replace the potion itself, one action and one treasure, and there is still room for four more cards. There's even a card in here that reduces the number of potions required in the first place, so you have plenty of alternatives. And the whole buying three potions is part of the reason I started this in the first place. Anyway, Donald X himself said that potions and the alchemy set in general are not for everybody, so if it isn't your ball, don't waste your time with it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:47:13 am by Doom_Shark »
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 06:56:39 am »

My critique of your cards has nothing to do with my preferences for Alchemy. (which I like).

Potions does not become more useful in the presence of PP cards. You gotta make them match even more so they could even become weaker.

About Alchemical Notes, a Potion Peddler is too conditonal. Either it is too weak (no decent potions cards in the deck or only Alchemist/Apothecary) or it is too strong (good potions cards in the deck such that it has to cost 6$ or more).
I did once play around with a Potion Market and, unsurprisingly, it failed for precisely these reasons.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:07:10 am by tristan »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 07:06:47 am »

About Alchemical Notes, a Potion Peddler is too conditonal. Either it is too weak (no decent potions cards in the deck or only Alchemist/Apothecary) or it is too strong (good potions cards in the deck such that it has to cost 6$ or more).
I did once play around with a Potion Market and, unsurprisingly, it failed for precisely these reasons.
It is not a peddler, but rather a highway, (which I will admit is simply a question of semantics, and has nothing to do with your argument at all) and it deals with those PP you so detest. Some of your points make sense, specifically the idea that potions do not become more powerful. While that is true, I mentioned and am mentioning again that there is still room for four more cards that could be created to combat these precise issues. I realize I'm getting a bit defensive though, and would greatly appreciate your help in refining the existing cards and filling the four empty slots.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 07:07:14 am »
+1

About the individual cards, I noticed in general that they are too weak:

- Elixir costs more than 6$ and is extremely weak. Takes some time to set up an engine where it works well when you first gotta buy 2-4 Potions to actually gain Elixir!
- Fountain of Youth costs more than 5$ and is weaker than a Throne Room (unless the throned card is a Potion card).
- Alchemist Lab is a bad idea for the above mentioned reasons.
- Werewolf costs more than 7$ and is Tributish Knight variant. Pretty strong but then again also pretty expensive. Probably the most interesting card in the set. You might wanna consider to give it the Knight feature of two Werewolves annihilating each other. Otherwise it could be too swingy (player whose Werewolf is hit by another Werewolf most likely loses the game).
- Alchemist's Seal is too weak. It costs more than 4$, its action is either a village or a cantrip (with the weird Black Market feature of Treasures being played during the Action phase) and its reaction is worse than that of Horse Traders.
- Research grant is OK but it suffers from the same issues as Alchemist's Seal, namely that Apothecary and Alchemist do not benefit from a virtual Potion.
- Test Subject is a pretty weak gainer.
- Enlighted Township seems OK.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:15:26 am by tristan »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 07:15:16 am »
+1

Although honestly, what you're basically saying is that a some of these cards would work if they simply cost less, right?

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 07:24:28 am »

When you play around with cards it is not just a matter of having an idea in mind and then finding the right price. A card could e.g. be "stuck" between two prices, i.e. too cheap for X and too expensive for X+1. But even without that pricing cards correctly is pretty difficult. Pricing potions cards is even more difficult as it is hard to translate P into $. Clearly P>2$ as Potion costs more than Silver but you also gotta price in the difficulty of matching. Ample of coins in your deck but only few Potions. So Potion cards are more tricky to make than "normal" cards.

Let's take e.g. Fountain of Youth. "Play an action again that you already have in play" is probably between 3$ and 4$. It couldn't cost 4$ as it is strictly weaker than a Throne Room. With the additional effect the card is probably between 4$ and 5$. So if you translate that into Potion costs it would probably be 2P. PP is already too expensive but then again there are feedback effects: with only one potion in the costs you run into the problem that the strength of the card depends on how many double Potion cards exist (and I already said what I think about them in the first place).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:26:37 am by tristan »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:35:54 am »
+1

Can you give me a list of which cards you think are salvageable?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 08:32:13 am »
+3

Elixir
Treasure, $2PP
+P
When you play this, +1 coin for every two actions you have in play

This is probably fine. Instead of +P, it might be good to give +buy though, because you already need 2 Potions to buy Elixir, you don't really want to get it before you're drawing your deck every turn and you probably don't need to have three Potions every turn. The +buy would guarantee that at least it's always going to be useful for payload in engines with a lot of components. It might turn out to be too strong with the +buy, but I would test it with it.

Fountain of Youth
Action, $1PP
Play an action again that you already have in play. Then choose one: either +1 Card per P in its cost; or +$1 per P in its cost.

This draws your entire deck and gives you infinite $. You would have to restrict it to cards other than Fountain of Youth to prevent this from happening, and if you do that, it becomes almost entirely useless — you'd rather just buy another copy of whatever card you'd want to play again because it's certainly cheaper than $1PP. I don't think this idea can work.

Alchemist's Lab (I'm looking for a different name for this one)
Action, 2P
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, then put them into your hand. If either of those cards has at least one P in its cost, +1 Action

The problem with this is that it's weaker than Laboratory despite being more expensive than Laboratory. It might be strong enough if you make it draw 3 cards instead of 2.

Werewolf
Action—Attack, $3PP
Each other Player reveals cards from the top of their deck until they reveal one that costs from 3 to 6PP. Trash it and discard the rest. If the discarded cards include at least one:
Action, +2 Actions
Treasure, +$2
Victory, +2 Cards

This is probably too expensive for the effect, and certainly very swingy. At worst, you can hit a Silver on top of your opponent's deck and then it's just an incredibly expensive Saboteur, or you can hit your opponent's Werewolf in which case your opponent can just immediately resign the game.

Alchemist's Seal
(I got the line for the reaction by using a bunch of spaces w/ strike-through)
Action—Reaction, $2P
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an action or treasure, play it. Otherwise, discard it.

When another player plays an attack card, you can reveal this card to set it aside, then set aside the top card of your deck face-down. (You may look at the card.) At the start of your next turn, reveal the face-down card. If it is an Action or Treasure, play it. Otherwise discard it. Then discard this card.

I don't think I would ever want to have this in my deck. The top part is significantly worse than Pearl Diver and the bottom part, and the bottom part is exactly the same as the top part except it just decreases your hand size which can be useful against Militia sometimes.

Alchemical Notes
Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action
While this is in play, all cards in the supply cost P less.

If there aren't any cards in the supply that cost potions (i.e. most of the time), this doesn't do anything.

Research Grant
Action, $5
+1 Buy
+P
While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash this card. If you do, gain a card costing less than the card you bought.

Again, if there aren't any cards in the supply that cost potions, this is incredibly weak.

Test Subject
Action, $3P
Trash a potion. If you do, reveal your hand. Gain a card costing up to twice the number of P in the cost of the cards in your hand. If a card in your hand has more than one P in its cost, +$1.

In practice, this card is probably going to play out roughly like this:

T1: buy Potion
T2: buy Silver
T3: buy Test Subject
T4: buy whatever
T5: you have Test Subject, you don't have a Potion in your hand though, buy whatever
T6: buy Test Subject
T7: buy whatever
T8: buy another Test Subject
T9: draw both of your Test Subjects without a Potion, buy whatever
T10: buy whatever
T11: The best case scenario happens: draw all three Test Subjects with your Potion. Finally, you get to play your Test Subject! So you play it, trash your Potion, gain a card costing up to $4, but wait now you have three entirely useless Test Subjects in your deck because you no longer have the Potion. Why did you even buy a Potion in the first place when you could have gotten that $4 card on turn 1 instead of the Potion?

So, in other words, it's way too weak. You need 5 Test Subjects and a Potion in your hand to gain a Province, and you could get a Province with just 4 Silvers (and if you had a Potion in addition to the 4 Silvers, you would get to keep that Potion, too). Silvers are a lot easier to acquire than Test Subjects and they're always available. In the occasional game where you have Test Subject and another Potion cost card in the kingdom, you might end up in a situation where you can draw your deck while you still have a lot of Potion cost cards in your hand, in which case you might want to get a Test Subject to trash the Potion and gain another card, but that's essentially replacing the Potion with a Test Subject and gaining the card that you're going to gain with Test Subject which is only marginally better than just buying that card instead of Test Subject, and as I have stated before, you can't rely on other Potion cost cards being in the kingdom because usually they won't be there.

Enlightened Township
Victory, PP
Worth 2 Victory for every 3 cards in your deck that have one or more P in their cost.

So if you manage to get 6 of these, they're worth 4 VP each. That's not a lot of VP for a conditional alt VP card which is probably roughly as expensive as Province.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 02:09:03 pm »

Can you give me a list of which cards you think are salvageable?
I am hardly qualified for that as the double potion concept is new and, as far as I know, untested.
Just try out some cards with double potion costs to check out whether they work fine or whether matching is too much of a problem (such that you need 3-4 potions in your deck in order to get 2 in one hand such that you can buy a PP card).

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »

I think I'm missing something in Alchemist's lab. The way I see it, at best it looks like this:
+1 Action
Reveal the top two cards of your deck. Put one in your hand.

That is really, really weak.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 02:39:17 pm »
+1

I think I'm missing something in Alchemist's lab. The way I see it, at best it looks like this:
+1 Action
Reveal the top two cards of your deck. Put one in your hand.

That is really, really weak.

You're missing something in Alchemist's Lab. Usually it looks like this:

+2 cards

If one of those cards has a Potion in its cost, it looks like this:

+2 cards
+1 action

But yes, it's really weak.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 03:13:40 pm »

Fourth, I am open to feedback, including ideas for the four final cards, but please do not just instantly shoot down my ideas. Give it some thought, then give me some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Help me fix issues. You can play-test it yourself even, if you want. So with that out of the way, on to the topic at hand.

After having Alchemy for a couple of years, my family and I have noticed it lacks a couple things. It could use an alternate source of potion currency, and cards that cost multiple potions, or some other incentive to get more than one of those things.

Okay, so the intention of your set is to incentivize getting multiple potions. As some have pointed out, costing multiple potions is a really expensive cost, and can make the game pretty swingy based on when you manage to get your potions together. So most of your cards with PP should have some way of mitigating that difficulty. Here are a few possibilities:

Potion Market - $3P
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Choose one: +P or +$2.

For a PP cost card:

Manuscript - $2PP
Action
+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Discard any number of treasures. +$2 per card discarded.

Another one:

CARD1 - $PP
Action - Attack
+3 Cards
Each other player reveals cards from the top of their deck until he reveals a card costing from $3 to $6 and discards the rest. You gain a copy of it. If you do, he trashes it. Otherwise, he discards it.
------
In games using this, during your buy phase you may trash a Potion from play to get +P.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:15:13 pm by XerxesPraelor »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 04:40:39 pm »
+6

One way to think about double Potion costs is that it's about as difficult to buy something for PP as it is to cash in a pair of Treasure Maps.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
+1

Honest critique: I think your "half" of the set misses the theme of Alchemy by quite a bit.

The thing about Alchemy cards is that they are atleast situationally pretty great. The strength of the cards is not only balanced by cost in coins, but by the opportunity cost of getting a potion. This has obviously quite a few downsides for your deck so you have to make it worth it. (This is also why playing with 3-5potion cards is absolutely stupid)

This also means that these cards can and should work alone, even without other Potion cards. Only Apprentice cares a bit and that is almost irrelevant.

Your cards however, synergize often with other Potion cards, which makes these pretty unplayable in the standard random. (they are complete duds sometimes and too good other times).

Alchemical Notes and Lab are some obvious examples for this, I suggest you review all cards with this in mind, though.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »
+2

(This is also why playing with 3-5potion cards is absolutely stupid)

Well don't I feel like an idiot for playing this way and having fun doing it. I guess I should have deferred to your expertise beforehand.

The_Tricksta

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 07:51:46 pm »

I also think what you might have not considered is that each of these cards should work by themselves with 9 other cards from the official game and its expansions. Which means that the PP-cost cards should be strong enough to go for just by themselves. All of those can be ignored in such a setup. Werewolf might be the only one doing something, but as it was pointed out already, it's too swingy and you might be better off just ignoring it since your opponent will probably not get a second one until the game ends and it can't hit provinces.

I think you might be better off to just ditch the PP-cost "gimmick" altogether. What makes Alchemy great is that you can occasionally get somewhat better cards if you are lucky enough to have a single key card on your hand. I think you should rather focus on doing things with the actual potion card and not try to create alternate sources of potions or try to make Alchemy cards even more expensive.

I think things like a stash variant (i.e. something that lets me put the potion card somewhere specific in the deck) or a Stonemason variant (only the active effect) would be better.

Also as another suggestion; try to keep it a little bit more simple. The Test Subject is way too convoluted for how little you gain out of it. You trash a potion, count how many potion-cost cards you have and you count again for any PP-cost cards you have (unless you only gain +$1 regardless of how many PP-cards you have). That's a little too much even compared to the text-heavy cards that exist.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 08:21:23 pm »

Well don't I feel like an idiot for playing this way and having fun doing it. I guess I should have deferred to your expertise beforehand.

Nor have I called you an idiot.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 09:30:07 pm »
+12

Thank you all for your feedback so far. The best I've received so far would be this:
I also think what you might have not considered is that each of these cards should work by themselves with 9 other cards from the official game and its expansions...
I think you might be better off to just ditch the PP-cost "gimmick" altogether. What makes Alchemy great is that you can occasionally get somewhat better cards if you are lucky enough to have a single key card on your hand. I think you should rather focus on doing things with the actual potion card and not try to create alternate sources of potions or try to make Alchemy cards even more expensive.
And someone else mentioned that cards that reward potions in costs is against the original idea of alchemy. Upon further review, I agree completely. I'm going to end up redesigning this completely, and putting it up again at a later date, probably one card at a time, then compiling them all into the final set once I'm happy with them individually. Thank you again for all your feedback.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 03:34:00 am »
+2

Oh come on, steelhammer merely pointed out why the common complaint of some folks, namey that decks should either have a bunch of Alchemy card or none at all, is utter nonsense.
You can e.g. have Alchemist as the only Alchemy card in the deck and players might still go, even rush for it (and, depending on the deck, potentially even buy two potions).

iamsparticus

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 04:02:06 am »

I really like Alchemist's Seal, but perhaps it needs +1 action attached to it so it can work as a better engine component. This might bump up the cost to $3P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.