Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rabble / Fairgrounds board  (Read 1755 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Rabble / Fairgrounds board
« on: December 23, 2015, 05:01:19 pm »

So I started playing this game the other day, and then my friend had to leave so we never finished it:

Hamlet (bane)
Fortune Teller
Watchtower
Young Witch
Hunting Party
Jester
Rabble
Royal Seal
Venture
Fairgrounds
King's Court
...with Colonies

What strategy would you recommend? With Young Witch and Colonies it's not too hard to get 8-point Fairgrounds, making Fairgrounds a much cheaper source of VP than Colonies ($12 for 16 points instead of $11 for 10 points). And there are good components for an engine (even with no trashing)—but it looks like the engine would be really fragile once you start greening. While you're building the engine you can dodge your opponent's Rabble etc. by top-decking engine components with Watchtower and Royal Seal, but once you're buying green you have less opportunity to do that, you have more targets for Rabble to begin with, and your Hunting Party is less likely to skip dead cards. We didn't get to the greening phase of the game before my friend had to leave, so I'm not sure if my engine would have been able to stand up to it. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:05:32 pm by AJD »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Rabble / Fairgrounds board
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »

Well there's junking and no thinning.  So normally I would say an engine is just not viable.  But (in addition to draw, villages, and +buy) there's KC.  And that changes the dynamic so much.  A hand of KC-KC-Rabble-junk-junk can be all you need to get off to the races, even if you have a junky deck and some top-decked Curses.  But being able to reliably line up 5 such cards is another story, for the reasons you mention.

To answer your question.. All things considered, I would probably want as few green cards in my deck as possible.  So I'd rather have 1 Colony than 2 Fairgrounds, even though as you mention the 2 Fairgrounds would be more VP.  I would get KCs & Jesters for virtual economy and pile control, and go Colonies instead of Fairgrounds.  I would go Fairgrounds on $6-$10 only if the game were close to ending.  And I would think this game would end on 3 piles -- Curses, Hamlets, and something else, maybe Hunting Party -- in large part due to KC'ing Jesters.

You definitely want Young Witch at some point because, although there is Watchtower and a good Bane, there is no way to get rid of a Curse once you actually have it.  I'd probably open Young Witch / Silver, and then start lining up as much Hamlets and Hunting Parties asap, with a Jester in there once you're somewhat strong.

EDIT:
Would Rabble-Jester as a curser be a thing here, or is that a bit over optimistic?  (EDIT2: or Fortune Teller-Jester, but that's probably not nearly as strong.)

One more thought:
Note that with KC-Jester, you don't actually need to buy very many strong cards -- if your opponent has them, you can gain them for free.  So as long as you can reliably play enough Jesters, you don't need to, say, rush the Hunting Parties or something like that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:33:42 pm by Dingan »

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:56:50 pm »

Engine is best here, with the goal of king's courting and junking as much as possible.

Greening here is risky, since it weakens the engine and opens up vulnerabilities to rabble and more junking.

I'd continue building until the piles get low or I can hit colony + engine components.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:42:50 am »

My opponent opened Hamlet so I didn't open Young Witch; maybe I should have anyway? I opened Silver / Fortune Teller.

I got a Young Witch eventually, but we had to cancel the game before I got to use it. And I did manage the Rabble-Jester combo—actually it was Rabble–KC/Jester, and my Jester hit two Estates and a Platinum.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 06:59:09 am »

Not a huge fan of fortune teller here, as it can collide with young witch and doesn't junk.

There are a couple of possible plans here. The first low economy route is young witch+hamlet/watchtower. Hamlet + Watchtower combine nicely as a draw engine.

Another route is to rush hunting parties and king's courts with a silver/X opening. Potentially powerful, but also dependent on shuffle luck for lining up king's courts.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:00:17 am by dedicateddan »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.