Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 11)  (Read 3849 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 11)
« on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:53 am »

Ok so once again we had a very close vote. Does our card allow us to trash and gain, or only gain? I'll leave this up until Sunday because Christmas and stuff.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 11)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:11:30 pm »
+1

Ok so once again we had a very close vote. Does our card allow us to trash and gain, or only gain? I'll leave this up until Sunday because Christmas and stuff.

Does Altar count as remodeling (it trashes a card and gains a card, but the cost of the gained card is independent of the trashed card)?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:25:54 pm »

Does Altar count as remodeling (it trashes a card and gains a card, but the cost of the gained card is independent of the trashed card)?

I'm going to go with yes. I think the category of cards that trashes and then gains based on cost would be more within Trash for Benefit.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »
+1

I'm going to go with yes. I think the category of cards that trashes and then gains based on cost would be more within Trash for Benefit.

I am confused, because your explanation sounds like you meant to say no. 

"Gains based on cost" includes both Remodel and Altar.  Remodel would be a "remodeller", which is a subset of TfB.  Altar isn't really either (going by the usual definition of TfB which has a great benefit when you trash costlier cards). 

That said, I think the clarification in the poll that it's trash and gain means that the option should include non-remodel trash-and-gain cards like Altar.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:14 pm »

I am confused, because your explanation sounds like you meant to say no. 

"Gains based on cost" includes both Remodel and Altar.  Remodel would be a "remodeller", which is a subset of TfB.  Altar isn't really either (going by the usual definition of TfB which has a great benefit when you trash costlier cards). 

That said, I think the clarification in the poll that it's trash and gain means that the option should include non-remodel trash-and-gain cards like Altar.

What I was saying was that I would define "Remodeller" as "card that both trashes a card and gains a new card". Whereas if we were talking about "card that trashes a card and gains a new card based on the trashed card's cost", then I would call that category "Trash for benefit", not "Remodeller".

*Edit* Oh wait, I think I see the confusion. When I said "gains based on cost", I meant "based on the cost of the trashed card". So Alter would NOT be included in "Gains based on cost".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:08:42 pm by GendoIkari »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 10:53:58 pm »
+2

So what you're saying is that Remodel itself is not a "Remodeller".

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 11:43:51 pm »

It is also worth distinguishing benefit conditional (trash for benefit) on trash versus unconditional (trash with benefit). With Altar, you gain a card regardless of whether trashing succeeds. Not so with cards like Remodel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 12:16:26 am »

So what you're saying is that Remodel itself is not a "Remodeller".

No... apparently I'm not explaining things well. Let me try once more. I'm talking about 2 categories of cards; here's how I personally define them:

"Remodeller" - A card that lets you trash a card, and gain a new card. Effectively replacing a card in your deck with another card, or, "remodeling" one card into another.

"Trash for benefit" - A card that lets you trash a card, and then get some benefit based on the cost of the card that you trashed.

Under these definitions... Remodel is in both categories. Alter is in the first category. Apprentice is in the second category.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 12:38:05 pm »

What about Junk Dealer?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »
+1

Wouldn't that just be a Peddler/Trasher? I don't see Chapel as a TfB or TwB. Same here.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »
+1

What I was saying was that I would define "Remodeller" as "card that both trashes a card and gains a new card". Whereas if we were talking about "card that trashes a card and gains a new card based on the trashed card's cost", then I would call that category "Trash for benefit", not "Remodeller".

*Edit* Oh wait, I think I see the confusion. When I said "gains based on cost", I meant "based on the cost of the trashed card". So Alter would NOT be included in "Gains based on cost".

The confusion for me was that you said yes, but then your explanation implied that trashing and gaining based on cost was a different category entirely.  Not only that, but this other category was what people usually refer to as "remodeller".

The simple answer is "yes, for the purposes of this poll, 'remodeller' only requires trashing and gaining and doesn't necessarily have to do with the cost of the trashed card".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 02:39:42 pm »
+1

The confusion for me was that you said yes, but then your explanation implied that trashing and gaining based on cost was a different category entirely.  Not only that, but this other category was what people usually refer to as "remodeller".

The simple answer is "yes, for the purposes of this poll, 'remodeller' only requires trashing and gaining and doesn't necessarily have to do with the cost of the trashed card".

Yeah, I just meant that there was a more specific category for that other stuff, not that it didn't fit within the larger category.  In other words, I was saying that if I wanted it to be restricted to caring about cost, I would have called it a trash for benefit, not just a remodeler.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.