Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: News on forthcoming expansions  (Read 50005 times)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
News on forthcoming expansions
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:57:47 am »
+6

From http://www.riograndegames.com/news.html?id=14:

As promised, we have recently released . These include Friday, Power Grid: First Sparks, Power Grid: the Robots, and Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition, (which we have sold out of - as it was a limited edition, we will not reprint it). Other games we planned to release have been delayed by the German publishers and printers and we expect to release them in a few weeks. These include Upon a Salty Ocean, South Pole, and Stone Age: Style is the Goal. We will also soon be releasing Lamborghini, Leader: Hell of the North, Hawaii, and Last Will. For Dominion, we  still plan to release a digital version early this year. We are also planning to release a set of all base cards (treasure, victory, and curse) that players can use to replace used cards from the base game or Dominion: Intrigue, or to use with the expansions that do not include these base cards. The planned release for this product is March, 2012. We have changed the schedule a bit and will release the large expansion Dominion: Dark Ages at Gencon to accompany the Dominion World Masters Tournament that will be held there. The expansion previously announced for the spring: Dominion: the Guilds will be released in the spring of 2013. We are continuing to work on Arctic Scavengers, Cavemen, Carcassonne: the Castle Falcon expansion, Those Pesky Garden Gnomes, Rattlebones, Credit Mobilier, Mogul, Monster Factory, and several others. These will appear beginning in the spring of 2012.

The Dominion World Masters Tournament will be held this year at Gencon. We have invited our partners from around the world to hold tournaments in their countries and send the winner. For the US, we are asking local conventions to sponsor “regional” tournaments so the winners can participate in the US finals prior to Gencon. We plan to hold those in June. We are also asking those who have held Dominion tournaments at conventions since October to contact us as we may offer those winners entry into the finals.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: News on forthcoming expansions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:13:15 pm »

Sad for isotropic... but glad for the next expansions.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »

I'm confused.  Does this mean Guilds is coming a year from now, and Dark Ages is coming this fall, thereby skipping this spring's expansion?

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

Probably it's something like:

- Dark Ages: August 2012 (GenCon)
- The Guilds: March 2013

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »

Had anyone heard the names for these expansions before this announcement was made?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

play2draw

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:06:30 pm »

Dominion: Dark Ages sounds like it could be every "alternate curse card" maker's dream-come-true.

And "Guilds" has a game-changing vibe to it, like a new mechanic of some sort. Some kind of persistent-state cards?

Of course, I base the above speculation on absolutely nothing :P

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:57 pm »
+5

Had anyone heard the names for these expansions before this announcement was made?
I know Dark Ages hadn't been announced and thought Guilds hadn't been.

I can tell you two more things.

The base cards in that product have art, full-card art. Copper with art, etc. So, while you can buy it to replace worn cards, or in order to play the game without having the main set or Intrigue, or to play with 5-6 without having both the main set and Intrigue, you can also get it if you are one of those people who thought the base cards should have art.

Dark Ages is 500 cards but is not a standalone. So while you are only getting one expansion this year, it's a big one.

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Will "The Guilds" be a small expansion then?

mangaguy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

Ooooh, main kingdom cards, I like. I'm assuming there will be VP cards with art, not just treasure? Looking forward to it. :)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 01:58:35 pm »

Dark Ages is 500 cards but is not a standalone. So while you are only getting one expansion this year, it's a big one.

Woah. 500 cards is, like, 44 kingdom cards. Assuming there's >2 victory cards and there's nothing else special in there (well, with 3 victory cards there'd be 10 cards left over, easily room for some special thing). Of course those assumptions are probably wrong. I guess that a good number of the cards are going to be something new, or strange, so we'll probably have more like 40 kingdom cards.

Still, the new base cards sound interesting. I might have to consider picking some up.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:48 pm »

Ignoring the whole "new expansion not coming out in the Spring" thing, this has got me pretty excited. Base cards with new art sounds really cool, as well as a new expansion with 500 cards. A couple quick, random questions:

1. Are there going to be any more new promo cards?

2. (assuming you know this) Will I be able to play the new digital version from a regular computer? Cause otherwise I have no idea what I'm going to do at work.

mrdirt73

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:06:14 pm »

Woah. 500 cards is, like, 44 kingdom cards. Assuming there's >2 victory cards and there's nothing else special in there (well, with 3 victory cards there'd be 10 cards left over, easily room for some special thing). Of course those assumptions are probably wrong. I guess that a good number of the cards are going to be something new, or strange, so we'll probably have more like 40 kingdom cards.

Still, the new base cards sound interesting. I might have to consider picking some up.

Sounds like this one is going to contain a regular "large" expansion and a "small" expansion too.  Which I guess makes sense because Guilds has to be half of something right?

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »

Sad for isotropic... but glad for the next expansions.

Will there be "fair warning" given for when Isotropic will go down?  How much?

I'm also very interested in details about the digital version of Dominion.  (For instance: are there any advantages for fanatics who already bought all the expansions?)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »
+1

2. (assuming you know this) Will I be able to play the new digital version from a regular computer? Cause otherwise I have no idea what I'm going to do at work.
I don't know if or when there will be new promo cards, and wouldn't expect one in the near future, since we just had two, but, in the long run, it seems safe to guess that there will be another one.

I don't know what the initial release of digital Dominion will look like, but the intention was to support every platform known to man, and I will be shocked if it doesn't support regular computers.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:33:31 pm »

Will there be "fair warning" given for when Isotropic will go down?  How much?

I'm also very interested in details about the digital version of Dominion.  (For instance: are there any advantages for fanatics who already bought all the expansions?)
Everyone is going to have to wait on details until the company chooses to make them available. I do not even know if I can name the company.

I don't know what kind of "fair warning" you'd expect or why you'd think someone would need it, outside of the tournament, which will get to finish. I expect councilroom will get a chance to archive the last of the logs, and what else exactly would you need to finish up? Whatever it is, get it finished. I do not know how much warning there will be, but it might not be much.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 03:46:58 pm »

I don't know if or when there will be new promo cards, and wouldn't expect one in the near future, since we just had two, but, in the long run, it seems safe to guess that there will be another one.

I don't know what the initial release of digital Dominion will look like, but the intention was to support every platform known to man, and I will be shocked if it doesn't support regular computers.

Thanks =) It's really quite awesome that you're here to answer questions like these and I very much appreciate it.

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 04:32:09 pm »

Everyone is going to have to wait on details until the company chooses to make them available. I do not even know if I can name the company.

Thanks for explaining.  I had wondered why so few details seemed to be known!

I don't know what kind of "fair warning" you'd expect or why you'd think someone would need it, outside of the tournament, which will get to finish. I expect councilroom will get a chance to archive the last of the logs, and what else exactly would you need to finish up? Whatever it is, get it finished. I do not know how much warning there will be, but it might not be much.

Oh, I didn't have in mind anything in particular to get finished up.  It's just hard to get a game night together when we have young kids, not to mention all our gamer friends who live in other cities.  Being able to play our favorite game with anyone anywhere has been just wonderful.  I'd be sad for it to go away without getting some last games in with everyone.

Naturally, we're going to buy the digital version soon after release.  But probably not all of our friends will.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »

Great names for expansions, very exicited to see them! Official online Dominion, well, we all are afraid, but lets just hope it will end up great :)

But what about the World Masters? Will it again be "just for fun" tournament of the Nation masters? So there still won't be any big and serious World Championship? Why not have some qualifications through national competitions (winner from each country, probably more from US) and some online qualifications?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 11:46:45 pm »

This means I must achieve a level above 25 on isotropic fast! Mass gaming gogogogogo. Can't wait for expansions/new Isotropic but I gotta see how high I can get :P
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 12:24:03 am »

I've got several wet spots right now.  So excited!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

studakris

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:09 am »

So I'm guessing these will be the final two Dominion expansions?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 02:40:49 am »

I like the name Dark Ages. It would have been a fitting name for the final expansion since Dominion would go literally go into Dark Ages with no new expansions coming out in the foreseeable future. And, 500 cards! Wow that is huge. It sounds like you wanted to make the last expansion something special. It kind of sucks RGG is changing the release schedule, but I am super excited for this years expansion. Also, VP cards and money with pictures sounds nice. Will Colonies and Platinums be included with this?

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 06:40:49 am »

This means I must achieve a level above 25 on isotropic fast! Mass gaming gogogogogo. Can't wait for expansions/new Isotropic but I gotta see how high I can get :P

This got me thinking - how would the new online Dominion look the first days? Well, most of the people will be from here (so good players) and probably those who play every day and are adicted (even better players). But all of them will have level 0, starting elo or whatever the rating system will be. So before the other players will join us, I think staying at the starting rating would be a big challange  ;D

mrdirt73

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 09:16:31 am »

I like the name Dark Ages. It would have been a fitting name for the final expansion since Dominion would go literally go into Dark Ages with no new expansions coming out in the foreseeable future. And, 500 cards! Wow that is huge. It sounds like you wanted to make the last expansion something special. It kind of sucks RGG is changing the release schedule, but I am super excited for this years expansion. Also, VP cards and money with pictures sounds nice. Will Colonies and Platinums be included with this?

According to Donald's post on BGG it will contain Colonies, Platinums, and Potions.

Jimmy Jimmy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 01:44:17 am »

According to Donald's post on BGG it will contain Colonies, Platinums, and Potions.

Link please?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.