Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Utterly lost on this board  (Read 2377 times)

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Utterly lost on this board
« on: January 15, 2012, 01:54:15 am »

For some reason I just had  hard time coming up with a plan for this board and just sort of played very aimlessly. Just looking for general advice on this one, it was bad all around. :(

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/14/game-20120114-225134-126c78de.html

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Utterly lost on this board
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:04:42 am »

General advice? Don't play aimlessly.  :P

Specifically, there really isn't any strong combo potential on this board. The young witch open is probably a mistake. Lighthouse is the second best bane card (after scheme). If I was feeling adventurous I'd try some sort of Inn/Library combo. Probably using Secret Chambers for the discard and coin generation. Though I honestly don't know how that would work out. The trick would be proper timing of the inn buys.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:19:52 am »

I'm a big GM-fan, so I would've probably gone with Upgrade, Upgrading Upgrades to GMs when the chance presents itself.
I wouldn't have chosen Young Witch.

Inn + Library is something that could work well to cycle your deck.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:23:47 am »

Yes, I agree: Young Witch is neutralized on this board and opening it after seeing your opponent showed 5/2 was a gross error.  The pile to pound on this board is primarily Duchy.

Grand Markets are nice and all, and there may be a chance that a Library/Inn combo might be set up in time to get Upgrades, Golds and Grand Markets and a nice solid run on the Province pile, but it won't matter much if the other guy is using all of his >=$5 buys gaining enough Duchies and Dukes to beat Provinces.

This isn't a great Duke board, but it isn't a great Big Money, attack or engine board, either.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:06:38 am »

The lighthouse is a particularly strong bane cards. If you have one in hand it protects you this turn and the next turn after you play it. I'd look for early lighthouses and upgrade and then make an early game decision whether to trim the deck and go for a grand market engine or expand with treasure/lighthouses and buy out duchies. There is potentially a very strong engine here with upgrade, lighthouse, inn/farming village, library, grand market, throne.

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:32:21 am »

Yes, I agree: Young Witch is neutralized on this board and opening it after seeing your opponent showed 5/2 was a gross error.  The pile to pound on this board is primarily Duchy.

Grand Markets are nice and all, and there may be a chance that a Library/Inn combo might be set up in time to get Upgrades, Golds and Grand Markets and a nice solid run on the Province pile, but it won't matter much if the other guy is using all of his >=$5 buys gaining enough Duchies and Dukes to beat Provinces.

This isn't a great Duke board, but it isn't a great Big Money, attack or engine board, either.

Yeah I learned the limitations of Young Witch in a rather rude fashion. ;) I did catch on to the Duke/Duchy strategy, albeit much too late, so I'm glad of that at least.

The lighthouse is a particularly strong bane cards. If you have one in hand it protects you this turn and the next turn after you play it. I'd look for early lighthouses and upgrade and then make an early game decision whether to trim the deck and go for a grand market engine or expand with treasure/lighthouses and buy out duchies. There is potentially a very strong engine here with upgrade, lighthouse, inn/farming village, library, grand market, throne.

What would drive your decision to go with GM vs treasure/lighthouse? 

Thanks as always everyone; this game was a good learning experience with the aid of your comments. ;)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

To get a big engine deck here you need to strip out the copper and estates since you can't easily work round them. This means getting upgrades working quickly and in big numbers. If you haven't bought an upgrade by turn 4 it may be too late, although it is a good enough engine that it might be worth persisting with.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.