Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pirate Ship beats double Jack???  (Read 1880 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Pirate Ship beats double Jack???
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120113-220158-45765bd3.html

Ok, so my opponent opens Pearl Diver / Pirate Ship (on a 3/4). "Yay, easy victory for me!" I think. 13 turns later, he buys his 4th and final Province to beat me by his Estates.

So what the heck happened here? Did I just get horrible luck, or was Pirate Ship actually strong on this board? I mean, I've seen Pirate Ship be great if you have +Actions, +Buys, and especially Tactician... purchasing 3 or 4 and playing several per turn. But we had none of those thing!

I should mention that I don't know how to play double Jack. I've never seen any articles talking about it specifically, such as when to trash one Jack with the other, etc. But even so...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Ship beats double Jack???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:13:36 pm »

I'm no expert on dblJack, but I think you don't want to buy the second one on the first reshuffle. Also, I'm pretty sure you don't want Caravan, that anti-syns with Jack. Finally, I think you trashed the 2nd one too early.

Otherwise, him pirateshipping every turn with only 2 is pretty lucky... that may have been tough to overcome.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:19 pm »

I'm no expert on dblJack, but I think you don't want to buy the second one on the first reshuffle. Also, I'm pretty sure you don't want Caravan, that anti-syns with Jack. Finally, I think you trashed the 2nd one too early.

Otherwise, him pirateshipping every turn with only 2 is pretty lucky... that may have been tough to overcome.
I DO think you want the second jack that early, but... yes, doublejack really doesn't want caravans, and pirate ship is going to hit much, much more often against doublejack (where like every card in your deck is treasure after very long) than it is on a random board.
Having said that, I don't think PS is the way to go without some help, which, well... there is SOME here in the form of Pearl Diver, TR, peddler... but... I dunno.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »

You bought the jack to clear out the estates and fill your deck with treasure, so every time your opponent plays the pirate ship it's going to score. No complaints. However he played a pirate ship on every possible turn (since he couldn't have enough pirate ships in his deck on turns 1, 2, and 4) and I don't think the caravan/pearl diver combination is that good although it clearly helped.

Your opponent had options for throne and peddler, although he clearly did fine without them. The venture would have been a massive asset for you.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:12 pm »

I actually simulated this a little while ago and if it's just straight DoubleJack vs DoublePirateShip than Jack usually beats Pirate Ship. I think it was like 65/35. Your opponent likely got lucky.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.