Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Scout's best combo?  (Read 16731 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: Scout's best combo?
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2016, 01:58:34 am »

My answer is NONE. There is no "best combo" with scout. At least not with a single card.
Scout needs to combo with no less than 3 other cards on the board to be even worth acquiring. This is the problem with scout.

There are players who will tell you that you should never buy scout. They are wrong.

But the occasions where buying scout is actually a good idea is rare, and even then, the scout is a secondary part of strategy, often to be added later into the mix
Well, I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, but it appears over 60 people agree with me, as they did this poll without saying what you said. Although it is possible that you're onto something, it's also possible that you just haven't played enough boards with Scout.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 02:12:59 am »

My point is rhetorical as well as pragmatic

What I mean is, in practice it doesn't matter which card is the "best" combo with scout, since in practice it should never be acquired unless there are 3 other cards available that combo with it.

And no, I don't have much experience with scout, since it is not wise to acquire it in most cases, although I would be the first to argue that in some cases you can win games because of it if the prerequisites I have specified are present.
This user is banned!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2016, 05:50:48 am »

What I mean is, in practice it doesn't matter which card is the "best" combo with scout, since in practice it should never be acquired unless there are 3 other cards available that combo with it.

It doesn't matter how many cards that "combo" with it there are. No interaction alone is enough to make Scout better than nothing outside of extremely fortunate draws that never actually happen in practice, and it doesn't get better than nothing just because you have multiple of those interactions available. You might want to acquire it because it's an Action card (on a Vineyard board), because it's named Scout (on a Fairgrounds board) or because it costs $4 (on an Upgrade variant board) though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 06:14:31 am »

It doesn't matter how many cards that "combo" with it there are. No interaction alone is enough to make Scout better than nothing outside of extremely fortunate draws that never actually happen in practice, and it doesn't get better than nothing just because you have multiple of those interactions available. You might want to acquire it because it's an Action card (on a Vineyard board), because it's named Scout (on a Fairgrounds board) or because it costs $4 (on an Upgrade variant board) though.

I meant don't get it unless you have already made an engine that has a good amount of at least 3 of the cards that are in the poll of this thread. And even in that special case I wouldn't go out of my way to get scout, I would only get it if I had workshop / ironworks etc in my hand, unless, like you said, there was vineyards.

What i am trying to say is, if you already have a strong engine with a healthy number of cards of multiple types, all of which synergize with scout, is it worth acquiring to add an extra oomph to your already strong engine using cards such as nobles / highway, apothecary, etc.? Absolutely it is, if it's convenient to do so and as long as you are not doing so at the expense of acquiring other more useful cards.

I have definitely made crossroads / apothecary driven engines that benefited from the addition of scout IN THE LATER PART OF THE GAME.. Such games are rare but they exist
This user is banned!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
+3

The good thing about "best" is that it can also mean "least bad".
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.