Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Scout's best combo?  (Read 16706 times)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
Re: Scout's best combo?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 11:46:12 am »
+2

Best case is you have 2 WW's in hand, reveal no Victory cards and get 2 perfect guesses.

Yeah, that's still worse than nothing.

No - with scout you end up with a hand size of 6, without it you probably end up with a hand size of 5. A hand size of 6 is better than a hand size of 5. There is the downside that you have a scout in your deck, but that shouldn't be counted because if you can engineer this situation reliably it isn't a downside.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:18 am »
+3

Best case is you have 2 WW's in hand, reveal no Victory cards and get 2 perfect guesses.

No - with scout you end up with a hand size of 6, without it you probably end up with a hand size of 5.

Imagine if the scout was another Wishing Well. With just one correct guess in 3 attempts you're as well off as you were with Scout.

Scout. The one card the community can't seem to stop talking about.

if by "the community" you mean "you"

can we please talk about anything else
Well, what would you like to talk about?

Can we talk about individual Adventures cards, like Gear and Artificer? Kind of surprised how little discussion has happened on here considering the game came out six months ago. I'll have to make some threads.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:57 am »

No - with scout you end up with a hand size of 6, without it you probably end up with a hand size of 5. A hand size of 6 is better than a hand size of 5. There is the downside that you have a scout in your deck, but that shouldn't be counted because if you can engineer this situation reliably it isn't a downside.
Yeah, but it all feels like building an engine of only Nobles. After all toil and sweat, you're just one Lab ahead.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »
+2

No - with scout you end up with a hand size of 6, without it you probably end up with a hand size of 5.

Imagine if the scout was another Wishing Well. With just one correct guess in 3 attempts you're as well off as you were with Scout.

This is the key. Scout might provide some marginal benefit, but something else is probably better.  Another Wishing Well is going to be pretty evenly matched in this scenario, and is just way better when you get it in hand without less than two more Wishing Wells.

Like, maybe if you already have the entire stack of Wishing Wells in your deck there could be a situation where gaining a Scout is the right call, but if the Wells aren't empty yet, you definitely want one of those instead.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:33:17 pm by Deadlock39 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 01:11:46 pm »

No - without Scout, you should probably end up with a hand size of 6 and have at least a reasonable chance of getting a hand size of 7. A hand size of 7 is better than a hand size of 6.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 02:34:17 pm »

No - without Scout, you should probably end up with a hand size of 6 and have at least a reasonable chance of getting a hand size of 7. A hand size of 7 is better than a hand size of 6.

Even the best players don't have a greater than 50% chance of guessing correctly.

I do admit that having 3 wishing wells is better than 2 and a scout though, but that's scout<wishing well, not scout<0.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »
+3

Even the best players don't have a greater than 50% chance of guessing correctly.

I'm pretty sure they do have a greater than 50% chance of guessing correctly at least once out of two tries.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 03:32:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure they do have a greater than 50% chance of guessing correctly at least once out of two tries.

And if not due to deck diversity or whatnot, then you know maybe getting multiple Wishing Wells was a mistake.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 03:45:45 pm »
+2

A hand size of 7 is better than a hand size of 6.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2015, 04:02:51 pm »
+6

And then you play a wishing well wishing for wishing wells and reveal an overexcited guy saying "hi thank you so much for buying me I work really well with wishing wells haha just draw me with a couple of those and I can guarantee they hit I promise I'll be useful it's not true I suck I just need support just ask all my fans!"

When you turn in that direction you see Roadrunner and his captivating if a bit maniacal smile, seemely unaware of the fact that he's standing alone in the middle of a host of empty chairs. He's holding a handwritten sign drawn on the backside of a pink take-away menu, it says "the Scout Boys".

And you'll just be sad.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 04:08:47 pm »
+4

When you turn in that direction you see Roadrunner and his captivating if a bit maniacal smile, seemely unaware of the fact that he's standing alone in the middle of a host of empty chairs. He's holding a handwritten sign drawn on the backside of a pink take-away menu, it says "the Scout Boys".

And you'll just be sad.
This changed me. Maybe it should be my signature.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 04:27:30 pm »

So? If the chance is 40% for each guess (which would be 64% chance they'd guess correctly at least once), then the expected value using scout is +1, and the expected value without scout is +.8.

There's other differences, but just using the naive math makes scout slightly better than nothing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:31:40 pm by XerxesPraelor »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 05:28:39 pm »

So? If the chance is 40% for each guess (which would be 64% chance they'd guess correctly at least once), then the expected value using scout is +1, and the expected value without scout is +.8.

There's other differences, but just using the naive math makes scout slightly better than nothing.

Are you factoring in that, if you had nothing instead of Scout, you would start off with 1 extra card in hand already?

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »
+1

Yes. The +1 or +.8 is how many non-WW/scout cards you end up with minus 5.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 11:11:38 pm »

It's probably best to buy cards that do their job well right away instead of trying to make Scout work.
I needed to find this quote as I thought of a great comeback.

It's best to buy other cards instead of King's Court. After all, you need more action cards to make King's Court work, so why bother?
 8)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41:17 pm »

It's best to buy other cards instead of King's Court. After all, you need more action cards to make King's Court work, so why bother?
 8)

Well, you don't want King's Court before you have other Actions for precisely that reason (although sometimes you're presented with an unplanned opportunity and sometimes taking it is pretty good). The difference is that when you have the other Actions (almost any Actions will do, too), KC is very likely the strongest card you could possibly buy, while Scout with the absolute best possible support still struggles with being better than simply not buying anything.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 12:21:22 am »

8)

Well, you don't want King's Court before you have other Actions for precisely that reason (although sometimes you're presented with an unplanned opportunity and sometimes taking it is pretty good). The difference is that when you have the other Actions (almost any Actions will do, too), KC is very likely the strongest card you could possibly buy, while Scout with the absolute best possible support still struggles with being better than simply not buying anything.
Buy KC-Scout will look at the top 4 cards in your deck, and put them back in any order 3 times! Unless, of course, you have Victory cards in those top four.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 12:25:19 am »
+1

I bought Scout today.  After buying Pirate Ship.

Revolutionizing.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 12:32:50 am »
+1

I bought Scout today.  After buying Pirate Ship.

Revolutionizing.
Did it work out well? We want details!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 12:34:36 am »

8)

The same with Scout. Buying Scout before you have support is bad. However, you usually start with three Estates, so Scout already has minor support. Open Scout/Great Hall and you're ready to rumble!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 01:20:21 am »
+1

Is Silver not available?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 01:26:27 am »

The same with Scout. Buying Scout before you have support is bad. However, buying Scout after you have support is also bad.

FTFY.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 01:48:57 am »
+4

The same with Scout. Buying Scout before you have support is pretty good. However, buying Scout after you have support is even bettet!
Neat-o, Roadrunner! I never saw it that way! You were right, as always, and I was wrong. But we can all be right jolly about this and sing a song about Scout!
Fixed.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +822
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »
+3

But we can all be right jolly about this and sing a song about Scout!
Scout. Scout. Let it all out. These are the things I can do without.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 01:54:19 am »

My answer is NONE. There is no "best combo" with scout. At least not with a single card.
Scout needs to combo with no less than 3 other cards on the board to be even worth acquiring. This is the problem with scout.

There are players who will tell you that you should never buy scout. They are wrong.

But the occasions where buying scout is actually a good idea is rare, and even then, the scout is a secondary part of strategy, often to be added later into the mix
This user is banned!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.