Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator: the ultimate simulation tool  (Read 196931 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
Re: Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator: the ultimate simulation tool
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2012, 09:20:30 am »

There are many possible tricky situations like that. The other side of the Don't Make a Losing Move is even harder: Make That Winning Move.

Obviously you don't want to write buying rules for all cards in the game that they should be bought if that means victory, so ideally there should be a special step looking at all possible moves that would end the game analyzing the situations that would result in, and if any of those are winning then just do that instead of following the normal play rules and buy rules.

Tricky to do, I guess, but how else would you make a simulator be able to buy that last Caravan and the last two Curses for a sudden win when opportunity knocks?

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Simulator available for download!
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2012, 07:18:51 pm »

Firstly Geronimoo; wow this thing is aweseome! Thanks so much for sharing it :D

Secondly; I would love it if you could access the play/discard/trash priorities. Most of the time they're spot on but sometimes you want to mess with them for a given strategy.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »

Feature request: confidence intervals for simulation results. I've implemented a little Python script that calculates these for me using the formula from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_proportion_confidence_interval#Normal_approximation_interval. It would be nice to have these in the app itself though.

For what it's worth, the Python code is:
Code: [Select]
import math
from scipy.stats import norm

def binomial_confidence_interval(p, N, conf):
  return norm.ppf(1 - conf/2) * math.sqrt(p*(1-p)/N)
"p" is the observed probability, "N" is the number of trials, and "conf" is the desired probability of the interval being wrong (sorry that the name doesn't make any sense, as I hacked it together pretty quickly).

Empathy

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +40
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2012, 05:05:41 pm »

Feature request:

Change ending condition (and victory condition).

In particular, first deck to gain a specific card (plat, follower), who 'wins' the split of a certain card (fool's gold, peddler, curse), first to reach a certain hand (KC/Bridge, KC/KC/card drawer, KC/possession) or deck size (golden deck).

The point is to simplify simulations. Endgames are hard to code for some games, but often the first step to a complicated kingdom is to be the first to reach a certain important benchmark. It doesn't always guarantee victory, but the simulation would help find out 'which strategy gets there faster', or even just the expected number of turns versus a different strategy. After that you assume the human player knows how to take advantage of his edge.

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »
+2

I actually know Java. 

This is the first time that knowing a programming language has enabled me to do something this awesome. 

Yay!  I can finally test my beloved Counting House thoroughly!  With massive modifications to only 5 cards! 
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2012, 02:23:37 am »

I actually know Java. 

This is the first time that knowing a programming language has enabled me to do something this awesome. 

Yay!  I can finally test my beloved Counting House thoroughly!  With massive modifications to only 5 cards! 
If you can improve the play rules of cards you're free to add them to the Git.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:47 am »

I'm having problems getting it to work with Java 1.7 (again).
It simply won't launch.

I have run a JNLP analyzer and this is what I get:

Code: [Select]
JaNeLA Report - version 11.05.17

Report for http://users.telenet.be/jeroenaga/dominion.jnlp

XML encoding not known, but declared as utf-8
Codebase + href 'http://users.telenet.be/dominion.jnlp' is not equal to actual location of 'http://users.telenet.be/jeroenaga/dominion.jnlp'.
Desktop icons were subject to bug nnnn in earlier J2SE versions
Downloads can be optimized by specifying a resource size for 'GeronimooDomSim.jar'.
The resource download at GeronimooDomSim.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of download='eager'.
The resource download at GeronimooDomSim.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of main='false'.
It might be possible to optimize the start-up of the app. by  specifying download='lazy' for the GeronimooDomSim.jar resource.
Lazy downloads might not work as expected for GeronimooDomSim.jar unless the download 'part' is specified.
Downloads can be optimized by specifying a resource size for 'jfreechart-1.0.13.jar'.
The resource download at jfreechart-1.0.13.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of download='eager'.
The resource download at jfreechart-1.0.13.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of main='false'.
It might be possible to optimize the start-up of the app. by  specifying download='lazy' for the jfreechart-1.0.13.jar resource.
Lazy downloads might not work as expected for jfreechart-1.0.13.jar unless the download 'part' is specified.
Downloads can be optimized by specifying a resource size for 'jcommon-1.0.16.jar'.
The resource download at jcommon-1.0.16.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of download='eager'.
The resource download at jcommon-1.0.16.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of main='false'.
It might be possible to optimize the start-up of the app. by  specifying download='lazy' for the jcommon-1.0.16.jar resource.
Lazy downloads might not work as expected for jcommon-1.0.16.jar unless the download 'part' is specified.
Downloads can be optimized by specifying a resource size for 'log4j-1.2.14.jar'.
The resource download at log4j-1.2.14.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of download='eager'.
The resource download at log4j-1.2.14.jar can be optimized by removing the (default) value of main='false'.
It might be possible to optimize the start-up of the app. by  specifying download='lazy' for the log4j-1.2.14.jar resource.
Lazy downloads might not work as expected for log4j-1.2.14.jar unless the download 'part' is specified.
Downloads can be optimized by specifying a resource size for 'jester.jpg'.
Icon loading & use can be optimized by specifying the width and height for jester.jpg

Can you maybe update some stuff to work with Java 7, Geronimoo?

- See attachment for UI output -

Edit: Never mind, I got it working. It somehow used the x64 version of Web Start by default instead of the x86 one. So be careful when using 64-bit Windows. When I launched by running the appropriate x86 javaws.exe directly with tje JNLP as a parameter, it worked.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 03:06:26 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »

hey, I've been trying to use this simulator, and while the simulations themselves work just fine, if I open the edit/create window to mess around with the strategies, the Buy Rules window is way too compressed to read or edit. here's a screencap:

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8, and I had my brother test it on 10.7.4 and he had the same problem. is anyone else having this issue?

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2012, 04:02:52 am »

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8, and I had my brother test it on 10.7.4 and he had the same problem. is anyone else having this issue?

I have the same issue (on Ubuntu)
Designer of Chronos Conquest

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2012, 04:08:16 am »

I have no experience with Mac OS and no way to test it. If anybody knows Java and can test on Mac OS, the code is open source, so they might solve the issue:

https://github.com/Geronimoo/Geronimoo-s-Dominion-Simulator

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:53 am »

works fine for me on ubuntu...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2012, 12:20:22 am »

I have the same issue Mac OS 10.7.3.
A man on a mission.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2012, 01:54:53 am »

I've found that if you stretch the window wide enough that the scroll bar on the bottom disappears, you can then scroll up and down and read/edit line by line. not ideal by a long shot but it's a workaround for now. I have no knowledge of Java unfortunately, or I'd poke around at it. I might see if I can make my dad do it, he knows about these things.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2012, 02:11:01 am »

I run Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I only get that layout issue when shrinking too small horizontally or too small vertically. (It's definitely a layout bug though, since it doesn't fill the window vertically, when it occurs.) If I remember correctly, the root of this problem is basically that most Swing layout managers are horrible.

I have a local version where (among other edits) I replaced the layout manager with something less awful, called MigLayout. (I only did this because I wanted to add some new panels, and got frustrated with the terribleness of the built-in layout managers.) Possibly I could clean this up and send a pull request, if there is interest.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2012, 02:36:20 am »
+1

I run Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I only get that layout issue when shrinking too small horizontally or too small vertically. (It's definitely a layout bug though, since it doesn't fill the window vertically, when it occurs.) If I remember correctly, the root of this problem is basically that most Swing layout managers are horrible.

I have a local version where (among other edits) I replaced the layout manager with something less awful, called MigLayout. (I only did this because I wanted to add some new panels, and got frustrated with the terribleness of the built-in layout managers.) Possibly I could clean this up and send a pull request, if there is interest.
I have no idea what 90% of these words mean, but if it solves the problem, that'd be awesome.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2012, 03:34:00 am »

I saw the change blueblimp made and incorporated it. But the next release might be a while (I might be coding all the Dark Ages cards right now...)

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2012, 11:44:41 am »

I have a JAR file locally with the layout fix, but I'm not sure how to send it to you.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »
+1

I saw the change blueblimp made and incorporated it. But the next release might be a while (I might be coding all the Dark Ages cards right now...)

🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:22 pm »

I made some changes to the code, how do I compile?  It's been a long time since I used javac. 

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2012, 01:16:02 pm »

I made some changes to the code, how do I compile?  It's been a long time since I used javac.
My preference is to install IntelliJ IDEA and use that to do your compilation and running. The Community Edition is free.

razorborne

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2012, 02:50:12 am »

for some reason, when I try to set up a start state involving Mandarin, I get an error. I've quadruple-checked that I'm spelling it right, and it works just fine if I set up a buy rule to buy them, but it won't let me start with them.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:00 pm »
+1

I have the same problem as razorbone, and would be interested in a fix.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »

Simple bug: The board creator want Jack capitalized as "Jack of all Trades" although it's "Jack of All Trades" (confirmed in Iso).

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »

Simple bug: The board creator want Jack capitalized as "Jack of all Trades" although it's "Jack of All Trades" (confirmed in Iso).

Also confirmed by, you know, the card itself.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2012, 02:29:49 pm »
+4

Also confirmed by, you know, the card itself.

Uh, the card itself looks like it's Jack of all Trades...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 21 queries.