Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did I play this right? (Market Square / Apprentice)  (Read 2210 times)

zeruf

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: zeruf
  • Who empties provinces anymore?
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
Did I play this right? (Market Square / Apprentice)
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:34:51 am »
+3

Hello all,
I would just like some feedback on this match I did today involving Market Square & Apprentice.  I'm not the best player by any means (~level 35) but I think I played this one decently well though I did fall behind at some point.  I'm looking to improve my game so any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks!

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20151214/log.0.1450074418144.txt

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
Re: Did I play this right? (Market Square / Apprentice)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 06:48:02 am »

Looking at the board, the first question I like to ask is what's the most powerful thing going on? Apprentice/Market Square is the most powerful thing going on in the late game. Butcher can get rid of estates and upgrade gold into provinces and ambassador is great at trashing copper and junking.

What's the best way to use these cards? I like opening Butcher/Hamlet, followed by an ambassador to stay thin, moving into apprentice/market square after.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:13:27 am »

I'm not really qualified for perfect feedback, but I like discussing stuff, so I'll give my two cents worth.

I'm not sure you should have taken Butcher over Apprentice. Actually I'd say that to stay on top of your decksize, you took the superior route with the apprentice. Neither Butcher nor Apprentice like trashing coppers (there's Hamlet on the board, so Butcher is not terrible), but Apprentice is non-terminal and mixes better with Ambassador-junking because you don't need a village. I think you might have gone for Ambassador earlier (I think by the time you bought your first one, your deck was three times as thick as his), but somehow between getting Golds early enough and a lot of Apprentices you made it work.

Butcher in the place of Apprentice would have probably meant having more junk and less Golds, so the non-terminal trashing saved you in my opinion. Plus, he got the golden sombrero in the beginning, having both his opening buys (especially Amb) miss the shuffle.

This looks like an interesting board, though. If you want, we could play this and try out some different combinations. I'd like to see Hamlet/Apprentice into Ambassador immediately fare against Double Amb for example.
Join Team Rocket!

zeruf

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: zeruf
  • Who empties provinces anymore?
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:59:29 am »

Yeah, I think what you two are saying sounds right.  My first 3 should have been Ambassador not market square, the way I did it I was able to trash a gold for 6 cards a bit sooner but the cards I picked up were junk because of his ambassador. 

I'm very proud of my self for figuring out how to force a tie in the end when I felt like I was behind though (Ambassadoring a gold, buying gold gold province for 3 piles and a tie).

I feel like on average though double ambassador should beat anything 5/2 on this board most of the time, I really hate getting 5/2 on Ambassador boards.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 11:11:01 am »

Yeah, forcing the tie that way was cool. Plus, I think this is one of the very rare occasions when a player did not get stomped despite buying an Ambassador more or less in the endgame when the opponent opened Ambassador.
Join Team Rocket!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:50:21 am »

Assuming you open with an apprentice, you are probably better pairing it with a vagrant. If you're planning to play a hamlet with two ambassadors you are going to be restricted by the number of cards in hand, so a mining village is a much better village if you can get one. You should buy the ambassador on turn 3 or 4. Butcher probably isn't needed unless you are short of market squares.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.