Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Throwing games  (Read 11981 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing games
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 11:30:49 pm »

Clicking is part of the game

Edit: had to make a it link so it would go to the correct time.

WanderingWinder's evil laugh. I rest my case. (Though he did offer to throw it for you!)

For considering the opponents to be profiting off misclicks, I guess I'm the minority. It does look like a few of you are willing to give it to them, but... eh.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:17 am »

I generally don't resign if someone demands for me to, but if they ask politely or don't say anything at all I might. It depends on the situation, and I definitely wouldn't ask anyone else to throw a game.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 02:05:22 am »
+3

I used to have really unstable internet, which often would result in me being unable to move and the game effectively frozen. I'd almost always resign, even if I was far ahead and it was clear I was going to win. Trying to convince the opponent to resign didn't seem worth the effort and also kinda rude.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +429
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 12:20:44 pm »
+13

For considering the opponents to be profiting off misclicks, I guess I'm the minority. It does look like a few of you are willing to give it to them, but... eh.

To frame it another way:
  • You can't make them resign, so your ability to get your desired outcome is entirely dependent on their goodwill.
  • Asking or pressuring them to resign is likely to cost you their goodwill.
  • Goodwill is a lot harder to earn than rating points.
Therefore, sacrificing goodwill for a slim chance of getting a few rating points is a bad play.

Make the good play.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:28:25 pm by Elestan »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20:36 am »

If you are skilled enough, or play often enough, the ratings should be only minimally affected by mis-plays.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:05 pm »
+1

I have asked on a T1 misclick (discarding my $5 opener) when I tabbed back into Dominion if they would be willing to just wait until T3 to actually start the game (i.e. neither of us buy anything until T4). When they refused I resigned because they clearly cared much more about points than I did.

I will tell my opponents about misclicks, not so much to get the win, but so we can, maybe, try to mitigate the click and undo the damage if they want a challenging game more than the win. E.g. I have had and have offered to opponents to buy nothing this turn when we are both drawing deck when they misclick & play draw before village.

Winning is far less interesting than a challenging game, but at least the interface seems to be improving so this isn't as common.

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »
+1

I will tell my opponents about misclicks, not so much to get the win, but so we can, maybe, try to mitigate the click and undo the damage if they want a challenging game more than the win. E.g. I have had and have offered to opponents to buy nothing this turn when we are both drawing deck when they misclick & play draw before village.

Winning is far less interesting than a challenging game, but at least the interface seems to be improving so this isn't as common.

What I would like to see is an "Undo" feature, that lets the active player back out their plays as long as those plays have not revealed any new information to that player.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:32:07 pm by Elestan »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »
+1

What I would like to see is an "Undo" feature, that lets the active player back out their plays as long as those plays have not revealed any new information to that player.

Oh cool, I also like science fiction! What do you think of Asimov? He's one of my favourite writers.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 02:53:26 pm »
+2

Don't we ALL. If only the MF team didn't (apparently) need to destroy the entire program to put that in.

Someone smack me and yell "RATING POINTS ARE BS AND STOP BASING YOUR MOOD OFF THEM, ELA!" It's not like I feel much sense of accomplishment when I beat someone who misclicks or misses a forced win or something, so the only thing that's keeping me from not minding being screwed over by the interface when I otherwise play pretty dang well is that stupid number.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 02:57:04 pm »

Oh cool, I also like science fiction! What do you think of Asimov? He's one of my favourite writers.

This is no sci-fi! If I slap down a Candlestick Maker and then think better of it and take him back, what information have I gained?

Elestan

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »

I write CAD software in my day job.  It has Undo capabilities.  If we can undo CAD modifications in a model, MF should be able to undo a card play; it's just a matter of checkpointing the state...and the state of a Dominion board is a heck of a lot smaller than the state of a CAD model.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 03:21:32 pm »
+3

So, I was the only one disappointed there was nothing about knives, midgets, or dunk booths in here?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 03:45:24 pm »
+3

I write CAD software in my day job.  It has Undo capabilities.  If we can undo CAD modifications in a model, MF should be able to undo a card play; it's just a matter of checkpointing the state...and the state of a Dominion board is a heck of a lot smaller than the state of a CAD model.

-.-'
Apparently the joke didn't get through, sorry. I meant that MF won't ever implement it, not that that would be hard/impossible given the state of the art of programming.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:56 pm »
+4

<smack>
RATING POINTS ARE BS AND STOP BASING YOUR MOOD OFF THEM, ELA!

(I can't believe no one did this yet)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 05:02:16 am »
+6

<smack>
RATING POINTS ARE BS AND STOP BASING YOUR MOOD OFF THEM, ELA!

(I can't believe no one did this yet)

Uhhh, in the second reply, you said it:

Try not to let it bother you. You know you played better than your opponent that game. Your rating is just a number.

:P
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.