Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: what makes a good non-engine game?  (Read 9674 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: what makes a good non-engine game?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 06:20:54 pm »
+2

I agree that BM boards can be very interesting...sometimes. The danger is that these boards have fewer, subtler decisions. Each of those decisions has more weight, and the better player can still win more often, but you run the risk of both players agreeing on those decisions.

The measure of a good board is one where there are many hard decisions to make that aren't concentrated in just the opening. It can be very tricky to design a money based board where deciding what you do turn 7/8 is hard, because you often have already locked yourself into some overarching plan without much room for flexibility. That's not saying it's impossible, but it's much easier to get this behavior when you bias towards engine boards.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »

Is a golden deck an engine? Those are typically consistent at gaining VP compared to the acceleration of an engine.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 12:41:00 pm »

i'll refine this a bit, get more at the heart of what i'm looking for...

so my board that was used for the championship was as follows:

Haven, Lighthouse, Pawn, Remodel, Bandit Camp, Catacombs, Explorer, Market, Tactician, Torturer

this set off complaints from Wandering Winder in the chat, with him saying that this board doesn't offer any more interesting decisions than a number of money & slog games.  to me at this point, that's an utterly mind-boggling statement - i *still* can't figure out whether double- or single-Tact is better here (heck, Stef even thought none might be best!), or how many Remodels you want...and the chat was strongly divided on all of this as well.  i can't think of a slog board that's as open-ended in that regard.

that's what i'm wondering here, what i'm missing that a player as strong as WW is seeing!

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 08:20:16 pm »

i'll refine this a bit, get more at the heart of what i'm looking for...

so my board that was used for the championship was as follows:

Haven, Lighthouse, Pawn, Remodel, Bandit Camp, Catacombs, Explorer, Market, Tactician, Torturer

this set off complaints from Wandering Winder in the chat, with him saying that this board doesn't offer any more interesting decisions than a number of money & slog games.  to me at this point, that's an utterly mind-boggling statement - i *still* can't figure out whether double- or single-Tact is better here (heck, Stef even thought none might be best!), or how many Remodels you want...and the chat was strongly divided on all of this as well.  i can't think of a slog board that's as open-ended in that regard.

that's what i'm wondering here, what i'm missing that a player as strong as WW is seeing!

You got everything here that an engine wants - trashing, village, draw and +buy - so the broad strategy is obvious. The draw is so strong while junking can be completely mitigated via Lighthouse/Haven combo once you draw your deck. Which should be possible even though your only trasher is Remodel (Catacombs is a supreme draw-sifter). You can fit in a Tactician there but I would agree with Stef that it's not really helpful. You got the compoents you need in other cards that don't require you to skip a turn. And for Double-Tac your only enablers are Pawn and Market (maybe Remodel?). I don't think these are compelling enough. So yeah, not the most interesting decisions to be made here - the only one coming to my mind being about the Torturer-Catacombs ratio in your deck (Torturer on first $5 and maybe a second one? Definitely Catabcombs from there).
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.