Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Who's summoning who?  (Read 23291 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Who's summoning who?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:56 pm »
+2

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:36 pm »
+6

So I was like "yeah you like the picture of the lady summoning the butterfly? OR WAIT, MAYBE THE BUTTERFLY IS SUMMONING THE LADY

The lady is being summoned by an unseen Mage who is standing stage right (you can see the trail of magic coming into the frame from there) who was cropped out of the picture by a bug introduced into the card by Making Fun. Here, the bug appears to be a colorful moth.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:47 pm »
+4

Here, the bug appears to be a colorful moth.
I'm going to be that guy. One of the differences between a moth and a butterfly are their antenna. Butterflies have slender, straight antenna. Moths have antenna that have knobs on them, or are feathery. If you zoom in on the photo, you can tell that it is a butterfly as opposed to a coloful moth. Speaking of colorful moths, another difference between a moth and a butterfly are the colors. Butterflies come in a range of colors, from yellow to green to black. Moths are usually white, light gray or brown. Calling a moth 'colorful' means you are colorblind or you think bland colors are considered 'colorful.'

Okay, I'm done nerding out.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 08:51:52 pm »
+5

Moths are usually white, light gray or brown. Calling a moth 'colorful' means you are colorblind or you think bland colors are considered 'colorful.'

Or it means you're looking at a moth species that isn't a bland colour.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/20-moth-species-more-beautiful-than-butterflies

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 08:55:20 pm »
+1

I feel inclined to reply to this. The Japanese Silk Moth looked sort of similar to the butterfly on Summon, but they are different.

And you are correct, but I was making a general statement.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 08:57:02 pm »
+5

Saddle up, it's a moth-off.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 10:37:28 pm »
+3

But which of those is the Grand Moth Tarkin?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:28 pm »
+1

You know I actually had the thought of "does this belong in General Discussion?" before posting this here, and then I thought "nah, it's about Dominion! Of course it belongs in Dominion General Discussion.

What I've learned is that I should never underestimate F.DS's ability to take a thread about Dominion and turn it into a thread about as many different non-Dominion things as possible. It's a truly amazing skill we have here.

I asked my wife if this thread is everything she wanted, she said yes but I think she was just saying that to get me to shut up. She saw the thread before all of the pictures of moths were posted, though, so I don't think she'll want to see the updates.

Oh yeah, and this:

they're dad to her

Yeah, my father has a hard time staying out of my personal space too.

It took me a while to realize why this post had so many upvotes then I realized I typed "dad" instead of "dead." This was actually done on purpose, I'm not sure anyone reading this thread knows the reference I was making. Anyone?
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 10:51:24 pm »
+1

You know I actually had the thought of "does this belong in General Discussion?" before posting this here, and then I thought "nah, it's about Dominion! Of course it belongs in Dominion General Discussion.

What I've learned is that I should never underestimate F.DS's ability to take a thread about Dominion and turn it into a thread about as many different non-Dominion things as possible. It's a truly amazing skill we have here.

I asked my wife if this thread is everything she wanted, she said yes but I think she was just saying that to get me to shut up. She saw the thread before all of the pictures of moths were posted, though, so I don't think she'll want to see the updates.

To be fair, your OP doesn't get discussion off to a good start.  If you wanted a serious discussion, it's a bit hypocritical to devote a good chunk of your commentary to moths and their concept of personal space, then end it with a bunch of exclamation marks and 1s.

By the way, I forgot to include the best colourful moth:

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 10:56:15 pm »
+6

I don't think Adam was trying for all that serious of a discussion. I mean, there are no [serious] tags.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »
+5

Oh yeah, and this:

they're dad to her

It took me a while to realize why this post had so many upvotes then I realized I typed "dad" instead of "dead." This was actually done on purpose, I'm not sure anyone reading this thread knows the reference I was making. Anyone?

There you have it, amother thread derailed.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 01:39:04 am »

I don't know the specific reference, but we make "dad" jokes at work all the time.

The first thing I can come up with is Austin Powers Fahzha.

I also cannot tell a linear story without getting derailed.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 02:26:25 am »

Oh yeah, and this:

they're dad to her

There you have it, amother thread derailed.

amother
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 03:13:17 am »
+1

Killing Hitler is a horrible idea.

WWII was bad, but it would have been worse if it got started by an atomic bomb instead of ended by one.

http://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

Everyone go read it or I'll summon your mom.

It's silly though. Why is WW2 required to get all those technological advances? Something like electronics would have happened anyway, even if later.

As the author points out, of course it's silly; it's not a story about time travel, it's a story about Internet forum posters.
I think the main problem with going back and trying to "fix" things by creating a new timeline is that you're swapping something that you know for certain for something uncertain. The new timeline could go either way, it could be paradise or it could be hell. And even then, who is capable of judging the outcome? The new timeline may be paradise for one half and hell for the other.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 05:50:45 am »
+6

I think the main problem with going back and trying to "fix" things by creating a new timeline is that you're swapping something that you know for certain for something uncertain. The new timeline could go either way, it could be paradise or it could be hell. And even then, who is capable of judging the outcome? The new timeline may be paradise for one half and hell for the other.
No. The main problem is sperm. I'm not ashamed to say it, we're all grown-ups here, except Roadrunner7671 and well he knew what he was in for when he registered. The problem is sperm. Everyone is replaced.

You bump a guy in 1800. He was going home to get his wife pregnant. You bumped him; now a different sperm makes it to the (same) egg, and a different kid is conceived. Sperm is a way to magnify small changes into big ones. Like looking at a decaying atom to decide whether or not to kill a cat.

You show up in 1800 behind a tree, sit on a bench for 5 minutes, then go back behind the tree and vanish. Tiny changes propagate, spread out. They're tiny, but they're enough that different babies are conceived. The next generation is all siblings of who the people were going to be. And they make the world different in whatever huge ways. Kill Hitler on the last day of June, 1934, and everyone conceived from July on is someone different.

Stick to going back in time to kill people within your own lifespan, that's my advice.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2015, 06:01:11 am »

You bump a guy in 1800. He was going home to get his wife pregnant. You bumped him; now a different sperm makes it to the (same) egg, and a different kid is conceived.

Time-traveller rule #1: If you bump someone in 1800, he'd better not be related to you.

Well, actually, just the fact that you were able to time-travel proves he could not have been related to you OR (and that is way more likely) you were only conceived because you bumped your own great-great-great-great-great-grandfather and thusly triggered the exact genetic chain that allowed you to time-travel in the first place.

Time-traveller rule #1 (revised): Bump whoever you like. It's only time travel.
Join Team Rocket!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:30 am »

No. The main problem is sperm. I'm not ashamed to say it, we're all grown-ups here, except Roadrunner7671 and well he knew what he was in for when he registered. The problem is sperm. Everyone is replaced.

You bump a guy in 1800. He was going home to get his wife pregnant. You bumped him; now a different sperm makes it to the (same) egg, and a different kid is conceived. Sperm is a way to magnify small changes into big ones. Like looking at a decaying atom to decide whether or not to kill a cat.

You show up in 1800 behind a tree, sit on a bench for 5 minutes, then go back behind the tree and vanish. Tiny changes propagate, spread out. They're tiny, but they're enough that different babies are conceived. The next generation is all siblings of who the people were going to be. And they make the world different in whatever huge ways. Kill Hitler on the last day of June, 1934, and everyone conceived from July on is someone different.

Stick to going back in time to kill people within your own lifespan, that's my advice.
The problem isn't strictly limited by sperm, your bumping may have caused a gust of wind to make another pollen seed travel to some plant.
So not only is everyone replaced, everything is replaced.

Now here's the fun part: everything could also be exactly the same. Let's use your sperm example.
The bumped man ejaculating later that night has the same 50 million spermatozoa he would have if he wasn't bumped.
There's a new lottery, but the original spermatozoon still has roughly 1 in 50 million chance to become part of the embryo.

I will admit there's an astronomically small chance that the timeline would continue exactly as it would if you hadn't intervened, but there's still a chance.

And here's the kicker: You could also be the sole reason that everything ended up the way it did. Maybe you were planning to kill Hitler, but missed and instead killed an assassin trying to kill Hitler, making you the reason the Holocaust happened?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 06:47:10 am »
+1

I wonder how Adam feels right now...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 06:49:44 am »

Sometimes you just have to let them go.

I once started the wildly popular "Random Stuff" topic, but haven't posted there (part 2 now) since a long long time.
It's a hard one to moderate though.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 06:56:08 am »

Sometimes you just have to let them go.

I once started the wildly popular "Random Stuff" topic, but haven't posted there (part 2 now) since a long long time.
It's a hard one to moderate though.
You try to moderate it?

Random Stuff Part 2 is the only corner of the Internet that I've vowed never to go back to.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2015, 06:57:36 am »

And here's the kicker: You could also be the sole reason that everything ended up the way it did. Maybe you were planning to kill Hitler, but missed and instead killed an assassin trying to kill Hitler, making you the reason the Holocaust happened?
This is this:

Well, actually, just the fact that you were able to time-travel proves he could not have been related to you OR (and that is way more likely) you were only conceived because you bumped your own great-great-great-great-great-grandfather and thusly triggered the exact genetic chain that allowed you to time-travel in the first place.

The philosophy I subscribe to is this exact one.  Otherwise put:  If you try to change history through time travel, you will inevitable fail - you already have failed.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2015, 07:22:06 am »
+2

If you try to change history through time travel, you will inevitable fail - you already have failed.

The future is going to will have been what it already was all along.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2015, 07:36:29 am »
+1

The philosophy I subscribe to is this exact one.  Otherwise put:  If you try to change history through time travel, you will inevitable fail - you already have failed.

That's true (well, unless you find that mask from Prince of Persia 2 that truely lets you alter the past - man, what a dumb game twist). What I particularly enjoy about the train of thought that is 'I bumped into my own ancestor while time-travelling and thus ensured my own conception' is that futurama-esque (remember the episode where Fry turns out to be his own grandfather?) absurdity. Being able to do this would make you capable of creating yourself out of nothing.

Time-traveller rule #1 (revised again): Bump whoever you want. They can't possibly be related to you.
Join Team Rocket!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:02 am »
+6

This is this:

Aha!

Now here is where it gets really interesting...

You've accepted the fact that the past is the past and that no amount of trying to meddle with it will change it. It will only cause what we know has already happened.
Now let me expand this to the fact that today is tomorrow's past, I'll let that one sink in for a few seconds...

So, today being tomorrow's past, today is as fixed for a time traveler coming from the future as yesterday is to us living in (what we call) the present.
In a sense, today has already happened (to someone from the future) and nothing you can say or do will change anything about the way it has happened.
So free will is really just an illusion, you can read this, stop doing what you are doing and that's exactly what's supposed to happen.

Expanding on this idea even further, we can see that time in its entirety is just an illusion, everything from the start of time to the end of time has already happened and is set in stone...

What is a psychic then? Just someone who remembers in the wrong direction.

Which brings me to the following card:

Is the Fortune Teller telling the future to the butterfly or is the butterfly telling the future to the Fortune Teller?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:54:04 am by Davio »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:03 am »

What is a psychic then? Just someone who remembers in the wrong direction.
This reminds me of a quote: "I just premembered you were going to say that." 
Can someone remind me where that's from?  Is it Hitchiker's?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 2.659 seconds with 22 queries.