Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Waiting for Adventures On-line  (Read 69949 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for Adventures On-line
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 04:35:23 pm »
+1

Yet I would definitely not consider it a deckbuilder with a twist. :)

The twist is that none of the abilities in your infrastructure are interesting; they all just give you "virtual" gems for your buys. :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 05:47:58 pm »
+2

Would 7 Wonders qualify as point salad?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 06:33:07 pm »
+3

Would 7 Wonders qualify as point salad?

I would say so.  Anything with a score sheet with four or more lines really should count.  Five Tribes is another one.

Terra Mystica is also point salad but with lots of infrastructure building.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:19 am »

The twist is that none of the abilities in your infrastructure are interesting; they all just give you "virtual" gems for your buys. :P

Like Dominion with only Treasure cards, and no Actions. Actually with only Coppers. Actually, with only Coppers, Potions, Gunpowders, and 2 other types of currency.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »

It's definitely not a game I'd play 5 times in a row, or play in a tournament for, but it's definitely one that I enjoy playing every so often, and would not mind having in my collection, which is more than I can say for Settlers of Catan.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »

It's definitely not a game I'd play 5 times in a row, or play in a tournament for, but it's definitely one that I enjoy playing every so often, and would not mind having in my collection, which is more than I can say for Settlers of Catan.

What's wrong with Catan? The only problem I've had with it is that nobody in my IRL playgroup can beat me at it, which is a pretty common thing for a lot of board games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 01:13:57 pm »
+1

What's wrong with Catan? The only problem I've had with it is that nobody in my IRL playgroup can beat me at it, which is a pretty common thing for a lot of board games.

YMYOSL applies to Catan as well as Dominion.  The problem is that the shuffle luck in Dominion  has enough game time to equalize, whereas roll luck in Catan does not.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »

The architecture was designed with a focus on online play, not offline or pass-n-play. Personally, I'd love offline play. It may happen at some point. But it doesn't make sense right now for the business. [...] So, offline won't happen any time soon. You know what? It is OK to play Ascension when you don't have internet, ...

It's not OK to play Ascension when you don't have internet.  Ascension sucks.

I've never played Ascension, but this is the only proper response of a true Dominion believer. That MF guy is sprouting blasphemic nonsense and should, according to custom, be burned on the stakes.

Dominion: Where Witches and Mountebanks get the utmost respect, but any outsider gets burned alive!!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 01:28:07 pm »

YMYOSL applies to Catan as well as Dominion.  The problem is that the shuffle luck in Dominion  has enough game time to equalize, whereas roll luck in Catan does not.

Roll luck in Catan has such a small impact compared to shuffle luck in Dominion that it doesn't need that much time, either. Like I said, I play a lot of Catan and I haven't lost a single game in years.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 01:46:22 pm »
+2

Roll luck in Catan has such a small impact compared to shuffle luck in Dominion that it doesn't need that much time, either. Like I said, I play a lot of Catan and I haven't lost a single game in years.

Nobody gangs up on you? You must be quite the charmer.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 01:54:58 pm »

Ganging up is usually only a good idea if someone already has a significant lead.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 02:06:48 pm »
+2

Ganging up is usually only a good idea if someone already has a significant lead.

I disagree. It can also be a good idea when your metagame tells you who is likely to win from the beginning. I tend to go after Jonts more than other players when there's such a choice to be made, because he tends to win the majority of games we play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2015, 02:19:04 pm »

They always do, but it's not like they want to completely ruin whatever they're trying to do just to hurt me a little bit.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 02:24:06 pm »

They always do, but it's not like they want to completely ruin whatever they're trying to do just to hurt me a little bit.

Yeah, people will get a bit stingier on trades when you are winning, but they almost never stop trading with you completely.  I feel like type of folks you can beat every time are typically the type who only completely refuse to cooperate if they know you will directly win off of the trade you are trying to make; however, once you get to that point, it is unlikely they can stop you from winning for very long.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:47 pm »

No matter what game I play, people right from turn 1 tend to attack me, even if its a game I've never played before. I rarely win Catan for this reason, but still have a reputation for being a winner.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 04:08:38 pm »

I disagree. It can also be a good idea when your metagame tells you who is likely to win from the beginning. I tend to go after Jonts more than other players when there's such a choice to be made, because he tends to win the majority of games we play.

Well, I suppose that's true, but the fact that there can be a metagame that examines who is more likely to win based on previous plays is going to tend to turn me off a game.

No matter what game I play, people right from turn 1 tend to attack me, even if its a game I've never played before. I rarely win Catan for this reason, but still have a reputation for being a winner.

Jeez, that actually sucks.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 05:26:12 pm »
+1

Well, I suppose that's true, but the fact that there can be a metagame that examines who is more likely to win based on previous plays is going to tend to turn me off a game.

Do you mean the fact that you can use this metagame to change your actions in the next game? Because any game is going to have a metagame where you know who the best player is from the start of a game.

As for trading, in the groups I play in for Catan, we pretty much always agree to not trade at all with anyone who is 1 point away from winning, or 2 points away from winning if he can get those 2 points with a single move. Obviously unless that trade happens on your own turn and would give you the win.

But yes, although I like Catan, it shares one of Monopolies biggest problems... the politics. People will help each other based on external factors, etc. Other games with politics, like Smallworld or even just any worker placement game, doesn't seem to suffer from this as much.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 01:22:38 am »
+1

Yawn. I wonder if this will ever happen.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 04:31:54 am »

Yawn. I wonder if this will ever happen.
From the OP:
We certainly won't be into testing of Adventures until February.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 11:35:44 pm »
+2

There's an update on the official forum.

http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?8592-Release-Notes-v-2-0-47&p=46320&viewfull=1#post46320
Sure, Burning Skull, I'd happy to.

Development status: Just to quickly recap other posts, once we figured out Goko's stuff was unextendable and impossible to make mobile versions out of, we invested about a year (Sept 2014-Sept 2015) rewriting the system from scratch and getting the kinks out (faster no-animation mode, laptop spinning fan problem, etc.) With that in place, it only took a few months to create the mobile versions and we have been getting the kinks out of that (connect/reconnect, purchase problems, etc.) Expect a maintenance release next week, along with a Facebook version coming the week after that, which will bring our supported platforms up to 8! (Mac, Windows, Linux, iPad, Android, Amazon, Web, Facebook) Post v2 and mobile launch, our current phase is building out new features and new content!

Such as... Adventures. Now that we're on Adventures, it's going well. Half of the 58 cards are implemented and we'll be into internal testing before the end of February. Here are some screenshots from running the app (keeping in mind, these are subject to change):

Events Tab in Building Kingdoms

Trigger Resolution Dialog (in this case, for ordering On-Discard-From-Play triggers)
Well, you won't need to have Adventures to see this feature.

We're building out features -- we just completed an upgrader to make downloads smaller and you can get them without going to the site -- for a version 2.1. Friends list is one of the features that will be there.
Key quote is "we'll be into internal testing before the end of February".

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 11:37:05 pm »

Apparently they already have Lost City completely programmed and ready to go! Who's excited?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 11:49:00 pm »

Apparently they already have Lost City completely programmed and ready to go! Who's excited?

Where did you see that?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2016, 12:17:23 am »
+4

Where did you see that?
It's a joke that I will now explain. Seeing as Lost City is one of the simpler Adventures cards, it would make sense that after all this time they could've gotten something done. This was a crack at the assumption that they could do very little in the amount of time they've used up.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 02:31:52 am »
+1

I would not call Splendor a Point Salad in any way. There are only two ways to score points, there are lots of actions you can take that don't score you points, and the game ends as soon as someone crosses a certain VP threshold, so there's no counting up of points after the game ends.

Not immediately; you have to finish out the round, and then count points.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:40 am »

Now THAT is a FEATURE. Just stop dangling it in our face and let us use it dammit! =D
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.