Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Insane variance  (Read 2248 times)

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
Insane variance
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:25 am »
+4

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/13/game-20120113-220939-51c1f913.html

Synopsis in story form:
Two Swindlers met on a road, and shook hands. Permanoob, the first swindler, complimented the other's dapper headpiece. michaeljb, seeking to return the common courtesty, gave notice and approval in regards to Permanoob's supremely majestic yet utterly despicable and tasteless Copper watch. Despite these pleasantries, was already making plans to Sabotage the other's Ironworks. The Swindlers maintained these Ironworks for the purpose of Garden acquiring (don't ask how), since both of the men had desired a Garden or several to call their own since they were young lads.

They were both very competitive, and Permanoob, the first swindler, considered himself pretty well off in terms of their rivalry. But in time to come, Permanoob's Fortune fell dramatically, while michaeljb, the other swindler, grew into a wealthy man. One day, some 11 years later, michaeljb happened to cross paths with Permanoob on his morning stroll. There Permanoob lay, still wearing his wondrous timepiece, yes, but it no longer reflected any actual riches or nobility. He was empty handed, lacking any coinage to buy necessities, truely bankrupt in every sense. "How could this have happened?" said Permanoob. "I thought we were equals!"

"We were equals" said the man michaeljb, no longer able to contain his laughter, "But you dropped your guard. Employing the slight-of-hand I learned from my time in Germany, I discretely replaced your Copper watch with an identical one I had prepared. One made of a Cursed metal that I had enchanted by a friend of mine."
"Damnit!" said Permanoob. "Good Game!"

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Insane variance
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:06 pm »

Very nice game, and amazing synopsis. You did a beautiful job explaining exactly what happened.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:56:33 am »

Nice game. What do people think with the buy of Bureaucrat over another Ironworks?

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:22 am »

Very nicely done synopsis. If I may nitpick for a moment, it's "sleight-of-hand", not slight-of-hand. ;) Nice example of what, to my new player mind, would appear to be a rather non-standard Gardens game. Thanks for posting that.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 02:32:25 pm »

I think the Bureaucrat buy was pretty smart. In a Gardens game its attack is not insignificant as it almost always hits and the Silvers help the deck approach 30 cards, which if this game had dragged on just a little bit longer (1 or 2 turns) would have decided the game. I don't like the Remodel buys over Ironworks or Bureaucrat though. I understand the desire to turn those Estates into Gardens, but the other cards have more synergy with Gardens.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »

I think I agree with that analysis, Jorbles.

Its hard to know for sure though...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »

On an I/G board, B-Crat is pretty darn insignificant; by the time it would have an effect, the game is probably over.
On other boards, though, it pairs very nicely with gardens.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 01:55:36 am »

If I had to do it again, I probably would not have bought Bureaucrat in this game. It is a strong complement to Gardens, but Ironworks is better.

And yeah, Remodel buys would be stupid; take another look at the log--those were actually Swindled Ironworks. Turn 3 I hit his Ironworks into a Remodel, and was about to apologize for my luck when the he did the exact same thing on his Turn 3. I don't think I'd ever before seen two opening Swindlers hit both of the other opening buys.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:57:49 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.