Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Embassy the only winning strategy here?  (Read 1577 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Is Embassy the only winning strategy here?
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:28:33 am »

I lost this board playing as Fin Fang Foom.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/13/game-20120113-212510-805623b0.html

I thought the winning strategy would use Apprentice to cycle through the deck.  Nope.  Apparently, it's one of the boring sets where the winning strategy is just pick up a couple of Embassies and play Big Money.  Is that really all there is to it?

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Is Embassy the only winning strategy here?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:28:11 am »

Embassy is one of those cards that has the potential to buy four Provinces by turn 12 with very little support.  Opening Silver/Silver with the purpose to acquire an Embassy on turn 3-4 is pretty solid.

Embassy is a swingy card.  If it turns up early in the shuffles look out, fast game.  Obviously if it shows up late in the deck throughout the match, not so much.  Going double Embassy is even more swingy, because if you catch both Embassies and force a reshuffle during the critical VP stage you are pretty much cooked, but if one Embassy appears on the opening hand after a new shuffle often then it is gravy.

Looking at this board, again there appears the Hoard/Apprentice, which is a solid combo but will probably lose more often if both players attack the Province pile.  There are no buys, which probably hurts the Apprentice player more, as he can not double-Duchy to try to force a longer game.  I do not know for sure, but I suspect that if both decks perform up to average the Emb/BM deck is stronger.

Oh, also, note the Swindler, another swingy card which helps the non-terminal Apprentice deck and does not fit well into the Embassy deck.  It may be enough to squeeze out the difference.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:31:51 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:58:00 am »

Hoard also synergizes with Embassy; Embassy/BM prefers if the coins in your deck are "lumpy", and Golds + VP cards are exactly what the doctor ordered.

Small things like your Apprentice missing the first shuffle and opponent getting a Turn 5 Hoard while triggering a reshuffle; from one game it's hard to say which strategy is better.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:26:01 am »

This certainly looks like an embassy board to me (no +buy, no alternate victory, and swindler as the only attack). I think I'd open swindler and go for embassies.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.