Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Intro and awkward request for skype games :)  (Read 4857 times)

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
  • Respect: +175
    • View Profile
Intro and awkward request for skype games :)
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:36:00 am »
+14

Hi!

I got Dominion Online a couple of months back, after owning some IRL expansions for like a year. Ever since I stumbled onto this forum, I read page after page of game reports and strategy articles whenever I had some time to kill. On my way to work, mostly. Finally, I decided to register and I wanted to introduce myself ("Hi") and immediately awkwardly request a skype buddy for some games of Dominion Online who is willing to play on a "sort-of-regular-basis". Here's why.

Short version:

I like Dominion. I like talking about the boards and strategies. I like people. Most people, anyway. I have a decent understanding of the cards (unrelated, I do own them all) but I'm always looking to better myself. I am from Germany, but I'm fairly fluent speaking English. And I am very self-aware about this request kinda sounding like online dating. PM me and we'll set something up. ;D

Long Version:

Eventually - before getting into Dominion Online - I found some Dominion streams online. I watched a lot of the videos that Adam H. uploaded to youtube and I quite liked the idea of his and Qvist's Skype games since Dominion 2p seems perfect for skyping. Since then, I introduced a buddy who lives in Belgium to Dominion and we've been playing a bunch of Skype games since then and it's been way more fun than playing online with only the interaction that the chat interface (which - I think - is quite horrible) provides.

In my experience, talking about the game and turns during a match or afterwards greatly enhances not only the amount of fun you're having, but what you are learning about cards and combos. Also, analyzing games puts winning and losing games into perspective, because to me it's no longer people but strategies competing. Thirdly, I like to take a minute or so to look at the board. I'm a big fan of Adam H.'s "alright, three/four, estates, what's going on here?" brief overview (I watched some games of MicQsenoch and I found him saying "alright, looks like "XY" before my brain had even processed one card's title on the board quite insane), but in games vs. unknown opponents, I sometimes feel pressured to not take up too much time. Most of the people I've played online were nice and some were willing to chat a bit (like I said, though, the chat interface is not really capable of housing the exchange of strategic ideas), but I've also encountered people who didn't seem interested in any conversation whatsoever (or they didn't see me saying "hi, good luck") and I particularly recall the weird insult "fu, ninja turtle, I don't have all day" after typing "sorry, thinking.." and taking a minute to think about a somewhat complex governor turn. Being able to talk here also alleviates the problem of someone feeling he's being slowplayed. These might seem like minor incidents to experienced online players who've seen rage quits and the likes, but I'd rather find someone who shares my views then annoy people with my trying to say hello and exchange strategic ideas.

If you read all of this and didn't roll your eyes, I think I'd like to buy you a beer.

Cheers!

Join Team Rocket!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Intro and awkward request for skype games :)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:51:13 am »

A good way to get into playing regular games against quality opponents is to join the league. I would link, but am on my phone and that would take too much effort.

Granted, discussing strategy in a league game probably isn't best....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:05:10 pm »

Here's a link to the league stuff: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?board=60.0.

While we tend not to discuss strategy during the matches, people tend to be quite friendly, and (time permitting) are usually willing to discuss things afterwards.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:54:09 pm »

If I knew how to Skype I would love to fo something like this with anyone on the Forum*.

I hope you find someone!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:45:15 pm »

Thanks for pointing me towards the league. I've actually followed some recent league play and I agree that it would be a great opportunity to play some quality opponents. The downside is that the quality players have to play, well, me. But I guess I'm emotionally stable enough to endure some whitewashs. I'll check out the S12 signups!

Still - going out to everyone capable of skyping  ;) - my request/offer stands.
Join Team Rocket!

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 05:57:10 pm »

I'd possibly be interested in playing some skype games on my stream. That way, not only do we get to talk strategy during the games, other (possibly better) players get to talk strategy, discuss, help, learn, etc. as well.

That aside, streaming yourself is a good way to get some discussion, even if its not with your opponent.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 06:30:55 pm »

That does sound cool. If you'd like we could play a couple of games to see, if I can keep up or at least show some promise. I did log a couple hundred games these last months, but playing bots, random opponents and some friends for fun is not really great credentials. In any case, I'll pm you my skype info and my 'schedule'. Right now, I gotta go to bed. Sidenote: What time difference are we talking about here? I'm in Heidelberg, Germany (so Berlin, Europe).
Join Team Rocket!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:37:20 pm »
+1

Thanks for liking the games with Adam. (We should make some more soon)
Well I'm German as well, so we can talk even in German if we do that. What I didn't understand is what you mean with playing via Skype? Do you mean playing on Making Fun online while talking via Skype or do you mean playing IRL with webcam. If it's the latter I don't have experience with that and I don't know how well that would work. If it's the first, we can do that for sure. And you live in Heidelberg!! Nice, we can even play IRL, I live 1h away.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:51:04 pm »

That does sound cool. If you'd like we could play a couple of games to see, if I can keep up or at least show some promise. I did log a couple hundred games these last months, but playing bots, random opponents and some friends for fun is not really great credentials. In any case, I'll pm you my skype info and my 'schedule'. Right now, I gotta go to bed. Sidenote: What time difference are we talking about here? I'm in Heidelberg, Germany (so Berlin, Europe).

I'm in the America/New_York timezone, so its not great, but its doable.

Ampharos

• Scout
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 06:56:06 pm »
+1

Oh man its team rocket! Run!

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:23:15 pm »

I'd do this and stream, but time difference could be difficult and if it's with physical cards, that would be less fun. I like playing IRL, but I've tried playing over Skype once with werothegreat and man that was difficult to track...

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 05:26:41 am »

@AHoppy: To clarify my request, I do mean playing via the Making Fun Client and using Skype to talk in the meantime. I think playing with the actual cards via webcam/Skype might indeed be more work and less fun than any other form of playing Dominion ;D..

@Qvist: Nice! I did watch a bunch of your videos as well, some with German commentary, and I figured - I don't know why, but I've placed you in the Stuttgart area - you were from around here. The possibility of playing some IRL Dominion is just awesome, too!

@Ampharos: I did look at a couple of introductions before posting mine and I thought, Team Rocket following Electro Pokémon is really thematic. Plus, like, the nerd factor just went through the roof.

@Infthitbox: The time difference isn't optimal, but it's not terrible either. I make that work for most football games every week, so it should be fine!
Join Team Rocket!

Hugovj

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hugovj
  • DFTBA
  • Respect: +176
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 12:09:48 pm »

Well, if all these other players just weren't enough, I'd be down for this ;) Could stream as well. I'm in the Netherlands, so that's a bit better scheduling-wise.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 12:10:21 am »

Another German checking in, if you like to play some game while skyping, I'm totally in! Could also stream them if you like, but it's certainly not necessary
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:05:08 pm »

Thanks for all of your responses! This seems like a really great community. Glad to be joining in!
Join Team Rocket!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 05:11:37 pm »
+1

Thanks for all of your responses! This seems like a really great community. Glad to be joining in!

The mafia sub-community is also a great.  Just saying.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:15 pm »

The mafia sub-community is also a great.  Just saying.
Lies! All lies!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

teamrocketgrunt

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

I am aware of the recruiting mechanisms, yes  ;D. I'll have a look at most stuff around here, I read, it only ruined some, but not all social lives.
Join Team Rocket!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.