Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Discard action card after playing?  (Read 15575 times)

Sharpie11112

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Discard action card after playing?
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:48:12 am »
+1

So I have a rule question because some of the combos I've pulled off are frankly absurd, and myself and the rest of the people I play with are beginning to think there is something wrong with the way we play the game.

We all place actions in the discard pile once we use them, so if it draws you a card and reshuffle is triggered, the card you just played is in your deck now.

This is particularly problematic with small deck sizes, as I won in a single turn with all my cards in my hand thanks to hovel, then repeatedly played pawn for actions and cards/money, market square, and advisor.

Since I played the advisor last out of those 3, I added it to the discard pile that now became my deck and draw the advisor from itself.No matter what card they selected, I was able to play market square and pawn every turn with advisor replacing them and itself, giving me infinite money and buys and allowing me to buy all 12 provinces in 1 turn.

Sorry if that was long winded or complex, if I wasn't clear let me know, but I just want to know if I am playing correctly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Discard action card after playing?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:14 am »
+5

Action cards (and Treasure cards as well) stay in play after you play them, they aren't discarded until the clean-up phase.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Sharpie11112

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:44 am »

That seems so weak though, but it makes sense I guess. I just didn't think there was an "in play zone"

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:48 am »
+8

It's certainly weak compared to what you've been doing, but your version would completely break the game: open Chapel/Market and you can empty the supply within a few turns.

In time you'll see the correct rules make the game much more interesting.

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:29:21 am »
+4

I just didn't think there was an "in play zone"

From Dominion rules:
To play an Action, the player takes an Action card from his hand and lays it faceup in his play area.

Sharpie11112

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 05:31:55 am »

Alright thanks guys, SCSN and Awaculs you both should stream more, I like watching you play.

Sharpie11112

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:35:03 am »

From Dominion rules:
To play an Action, the player takes an Action card from his hand and lays it faceup in his play area.

I honestly thought it was just some place to keep track of the cards you played that turn, but if you needed to reshuffle you put those in.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 06:01:47 am »
+1

It would be a nice exercise to create a custom action card which gets discarded or discards other action cards, just be careful not to create infinite loops.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 07:21:18 am »

Alright thanks guys, SCSN and Awaculs you both should stream more, I like watching you play.

In that case,

Streaming my match against calimero December 03, 2015, 11:00:00 am your forum settings time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
+7

This is why I like to have Oasis in the Kingdom when teaching new players the game: it forces them to realize that "discard" is not the same as "play". ("No, the Oasis goes there, the other card goes there")

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 01:01:30 pm »
+2

This is why I like to have Oasis in the Kingdom when teaching new players the game: it forces them to realize that "discard" is not the same as "play". ("No, the Oasis goes there, the other card goes there")

Sure, buy why Oasis? Cellar is a card from the base set that does that as well.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »
+5

Because a newer player probably sees the value of Oasis more quickly than the value of Cellar.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 02:48:23 pm »
+3

Yeah, but we all know Cellar sucks because of Warehouse.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »
+5

True story: when I was taught Dominion, everyone else was just putting their action cards in the discard when they played them. I first thought Library was OP because you could just do this whenever you wanted but I was quickly corrected on that one. Sad day. I then proceeded to break the game by drawing my deck and playing Festival and Smithy over and over again. It was through this that I actually learned that trashing was a good thing. Can you actually imagine? Once you get the Festival/Smithy deck or the double Market deck you just win the game.

But it's so important to teach people the mechanics properly, which is why I design the kingdom I use to teach people Dominion to include these basic mechanics: all vanilla bonuses (counting +1 Action and +2 Actions as separate ones) Discard from hand, and some kind of attack/interaction that makes it matter that you draw your cards at the end of your turn instead of waiting until the start of your turn. I wait until their second game to introduce reactions, trashing, junking attacks, Kingdom treasures/victory cards, and gainers.

So many times mechanics are taught incorrectly (which leads to misunderstandings of the rules, and that can so often turn people off to the game) because people don't play with cards that make the important mechanics matter and so they slip. So I harp on stuff like putting your treasures down on the table to play them and mechanical things like that in peoples' first games so that these things become natural and they can just focus on the interesting parts of the game.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:14 pm »

One of the guys I play with all the time was originally taught that you couldn't shuffle more than once per turn (not including Clean-up). I'm guessing it was a house rule created by folks who were just playing their Action cards right into their discard pile.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 04:23:37 pm »
+1

My favorite misunderstandings are people who think that + means "take a Silver card", and that "+1 card" means "gain a card".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »
+5

The misunderstanding I think I meet the most is that people don't realize that Treasure cards are played. They keep them in their hand and maybe just flash them before buying something.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 05:15:19 pm »
+3

My favorite misunderstandings are people who think that + means "take a Silver card", and that "+1 card" means "gain a card".
I don't think I can do better than +$2, but it might have been better as "+1 Draw" and "+1 Play." It's "+1 Card" because in many of my other games it's "+1 [card symbol]."

I hope to someday fix up the rulebook and make the "play zone" clearer.

Sharpie11112

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 06:09:10 pm »

I guess a quick followup on this question, since we've been 'flashing' our treasure cards too: do you have to play all your treasures each turn? So if you had 3 silvers and a copper, are you allowed to just play the silvers and buy a grand market?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 06:10:37 pm »
+4

I guess a quick followup on this question, since we've been 'flashing' our treasure cards too: do you have to play all your treasures each turn?

No. You choose which treasures to play, and in what order.

So if you had 3 silvers and a copper, are you allowed to just play the silvers and buy a grand market?

Yes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »
+1

I guess a quick followup on this question, since we've been 'flashing' our treasure cards too: do you have to play all your treasures each turn?

No. You choose which treasures to play, and in what order.

So if you had 3 silvers and a copper, are you allowed to just play the silvers and buy a grand market?

Yes.

Just to elaborate, treasure order matters for cards like Bank and Contraband.  You'll typically want to play Contraband first and Bank last.

As for not playing Treasures, it also matters for Mandarin, Haunted Woods, or even just so your opponents don't have full information about what you've already passed in your deck.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 12:36:58 am »
+1

I don't think I can do better than +$2, but it might have been better as "+1 Draw" and "+1 Play." It's "+1 Card" because in many of my other games it's "+1 [card symbol]."

I hope to someday fix up the rulebook and make the "play zone" clearer.

It would have been nice to have a different word for your pool of actions than "action"' which is also used for the card type. Would help with the most common confusion, that "+1 action" means "play an action card".

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 02:31:17 am »

The misunderstanding I think I meet the most is that people don't realize that Treasure cards are played. They keep them in their hand and maybe just flash them before buying something.
Not sure if serious, but I still do this just to speed things up.

"I have $8, see?" (flashes money, grabs Province, puts everything in discard)
Only do this if you won't feel tempted to try it with $7.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 10:13:01 am »
+4

I think this is fine for experienced players. But it's harmful to learning the game correctly for new players.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 11:29:59 am »

Sure, I have also been known to play 4 Labs together and then draw 8 cards (or something similar). But then I and all other players know that that's a shortcut.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.