Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Similar cards; which do you prefer?  (Read 1406 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
Similar cards; which do you prefer?
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:46:33 am »

Been thinking about which card to put in my expansion set (Dominion: Pandemonium). Came up with an idea the other day but it seems way too similar to another card in the set. Which do people prefer

Blacksmith
Action - $2
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's a(n)...
Action, gain a copy of it
Treasure, +$3
Victory Card, +3 Cards
Put the revealed card on top of your deck

But the other idea I had
Harlequin
Action - $4
+$2
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's a Victory Card, each other player gains a Curse. Otherwise choose 1: gain a copy of it, or each other player gains a copy of it.
Put the revealed card on top of your deck.

So it's an early Curser that slows you down, or similar to the above card. I think it avoids the "copper junker" problem because there's a limit to how many coppers you can give out with the card, and it's not a particularly good use of it.

===

One other question. Is this wording ok?

Distributor
Action - $4
+1 Action
Choose 2; Draw until you have 6 cards in hand, Trash a card from your hand, Gain a Silver
Each other player may perform the option you didn't choose.

Pandemonium has an extremely heavy "non attack interaction" theme, and I'm going to try and make that idea work (the options there are placeholders). Figuring out what to do for the options is tricky; I just wanted to play with the "choose" idea a bit (I've got a "do all 3 in any order" card).

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: Similar cards; which do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 05:07:17 am »

Blacksmith seems fine.

As the self-Jester leads to tricky decisions (as far as I understand it, is topdecking junk respectively a good card which I wanna play in this turn worth junking respectively getting a copy of that good card) I think it is a good card.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 02:40:22 am »

I like all three. As for your original question, they don't seem too similar besides the gaining an action card part of the Blacksmith. I personally like that they both put a card on top of your deck.

Have you tested any/all of them, just by looking, I would say that Blacksmith is a 3, but it's probably not that functionally different as a 2.

As for the Distributor, The wording is appropriate, but I don't like being able to reduce your hand size before increasing your hand size (pick trash a card, then pick draw to six cards). If I would nit-pick, you should replace your semicolon with a colon and replace your commas with semicolons and put "or" between each choice.
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:19:31 am »

IIRC in cards where you choose multiple options, they happen in printed order (eg Trusty Steed) so you'd always draw before trashing.

Blacksmith's a card with lots of different options but the treasure and victory options are worse versions of other $2 Cards and the action gaining isn't great either.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:51:59 am »

IIRC in cards where you choose multiple options, they happen in printed order (eg Trusty Steed) so you'd always draw before trashing.

That is correct.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.