Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Scheme/Herbalist  (Read 5433 times)

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Combo: Scheme/Herbalist
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:50 pm »

The Scheme lets you take back an action (and allows you to play another action this turn, so you can use the other half of the combo), and the Herbalist lets you take back a treasure.  These work well together because you can choose the pair.

The most obvious use is to take back the Herbalist with a good treasure, which increases its value.   With Scheme/Herbalist/Gold, you will be rich for three turns.  With Scheme/Herbalist/Potion, you can use the Potion three times, and at least the first two will come with a +Buy so that you can get a Vineyard/Transmute and something else.

A less common use is to get the right treasure/action pair with a trash-for-benefit action.   One of the recommended Hinterlands/Alchemy sets includes Apprentice and IGG; if you draw the IGG after Apprenticing something else and have Scheme/Herbalist, you can Apprentice the IGG next turn to draw five cards.  If you are taking back a Spice Merchant, you can take back the Copper that it wants to trash.  At the end of the game, you can use a Gold this turn and then take back Remodel/Gold for next turn.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Scheme/Herbalist
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:50:45 pm »

A few Schemes would be a good addition to an Alchemist/Herbalist deck.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:15:42 am »

This is especially helpful in a vineyards rush, since the scheme and herbalist piles are so cheap you actually don't mind some terminal coppers.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

DaveS

• Steward
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 02:57:44 am »

You've played: Scheme, Herbalist and a treasure.

If you "discard from play" the Herbalist, you trigger the clean up effects of both the Scheme and the Herbalist itself. What should the deck order be?  Treasure on top or Herbalist on top?  Or does the player choose since it seems that both effects happen simultaneously?

This could matter if you top deck 4 or more cards after those 2.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 07:13:09 am »
+4

So uh, is this a combo? You're just saying "one card lets you do one thing and the other lets you do another thing. Occasionally you want to do both!"

Very few cases where you ever want Herbalist's effect, even fewer when you would want Herbalists effect *because of Scheme*.

You generally don't want to topdeck your payload, because that's two cards that aren't draw or actions. You're much more likely to dud.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:14:13 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DaveS

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 11:20:27 am »

Hey Chris thanks for the reply.  I agree; I can't think of a scenario where this would be a smart thing to do.  But my question is a rules question not a strategy question.  I'm building an app to play and so need it to follow dem rules.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:52:00 pm »
+2

You've played: Scheme, Herbalist and a treasure.

If you "discard from play" the Herbalist, you trigger the clean up effects of both the Scheme and the Herbalist itself. What should the deck order be?  Treasure on top or Herbalist on top?  Or does the player choose since it seems that both effects happen simultaneously?

This could matter if you top deck 4 or more cards after those 2.

You get to choose the order. Any time 2 things trigger at the same time for the same player, that player can choose the order.

And welcome to the forums!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:20:05 pm »

Ah, 2012 strategy. A simpler time, when we had no idea wtf we were doing.

To be serious, the answer we'd use now is, "if you want to draw an action-treasure combo, just get a lot of actions and draw the treasure you want, instead of topdecking it, because topdecking it increases risk that you dud"
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 03:03:37 pm »

lol I didn't notice the date on the thread.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 04:48:02 pm »

Edge case: the Treasure in question is Crown.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

DaveS

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:10 pm »

You get to choose the order. Any time 2 things trigger at the same time for the same player, that player can choose the order.

Thank you, sir.  I've needed to add a simultaneously-effect-resolution mechanism to my app for a while now.  I guess now is the time.  This is the first I have come across that seems to matter.  All others would just change the order in discards which, of course, doesn't matter (except for the relatively trivial matter of what top discard is exposed.)

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 05:50:12 pm »
+1

Thank you, sir.  I've needed to add a simultaneously-effect-resolution mechanism to my app for a while now.  I guess now is the time.  This is the first I have come across that seems to matter.  All others would just change the order in discards which, of course, doesn't matter (except for the relatively trivial matter of what top discard is exposed.)

Actually, what you discarded on top can sometimes matter a lot. If you have too many terminal actions in your deck at the start of the game (e.g., 2 moats) and your opponent knows what action(s) you didn't get to play, they know not to expect those actions until the next shuffle, sometimes changing their turn significantly. The online implementation of Dominion doesn't let you choose what order to discard cards, and sometimes your discard pile will show a card you really didn't want it to show.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.