Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: T.I.M.E. Stories  (Read 3647 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
T.I.M.E. Stories
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:10 am »

Has anyone played this yet? I've heard good things about it, the problem is though that you really don't want to spoil yourself before you get it, but you only have spare information about the contents if you don't spoil yourself. I really wanted to buy it, but it's really expensive for a game that you will only play 3-4 times and the first expanion isn't that cheap either. Also I'm interested if this game works well for 2 players as I want to play this with my wife.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: T.I.M.E. Stories
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 11:08:25 am »

Didn't get a chance to play it; but it was a super-popular one at bgg.con.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »

I've read that it's a really good candidate to play at a board game cafe because of its super-limited nature.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:45:03 am »

I have played it now, and I'm not yet sure what I think about it. It had some really weird things, but it was fun. Not sure if I'd rather play some RPG though.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:36:10 pm »

Necroing this since I got it and played it yesterday. I found it a VERY enjoyable experience. But I doubt I'll play the included scenario again. Maybe watch as some of my friends play it. Will most definately buy extra scenarios to play, as I think a day/evening of crazy mystery solving à la Shadowgate is worth the money. Even if I only play it once. But as many people have said. It's not really a game you play again.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:56:13 pm »

A friend of mine has had a copy of this for a while and my group hasn't played it yet. What's the best way to play it considering number of players, amount of play time, etc?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 01:58:30 pm »

I've seen playthroughs of the Dice Tower and it seems fantastic.

It's as much a game as it is an experience and that's quite a feat. It's basically a very well done choose your own adventure without a large book to browse in.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 05:34:36 pm »
+1

I've only played with 4 players. I think that should be optimal. 3 players probably work. 2 players seem like less fun. We didn't really expect it to take as long as it did. I think we started around 15:30 with rulebook reading and explaining of rules. We finished the first scenario around 22:30. We did take some breaks for making dinner and actually eat. But it probably takes half a day to play it for the first time. Totally worth it, though. Two of the players hate long games. And both are super excited about playing the next scenario.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 12:21:34 pm »

We decided to not buy it. We are now playing Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective instead. I think this was the right decision. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective has 10 cases instead of just one. TIME Stories also doesn't really work well with 2 players. Also we enjoy a crime story much more than the theme in TIME Stories which I watched the gameplay at dicetower of. The puzzles were cool, but the "horror" theme was weird and didn't appeal to me. I wouldn't have chosen that theme for the main scenario, but that's just me. If we get the chance to play a scenario without buying it we will take the opportunity though for sure.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 12:29:14 am »

I should have replied to this thread 6 months ago, when I had the chance to play T.I.M.E. Stories at BGG.

I absolutely loved it. Just about the most fun 4 hours I've had playing a board game ever. But yes, it's only those 4 hours, until you get expansions.

So I haven't bought it, because it's really the type of game that's better to play at cons, due to the non-replayability of it. But still, I highly recommend it, and I can't wait to play some of the expansions.

I also got Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective last year to play with my wife. We've did the first 2 cases and had fun, but for some reason haven't gotten back to do the rest. It's not bad, but T.I.M.E. Stories basically has all the good parts about that game, with a lot of better parts as well, such as actually feeling like a board game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 10:04:26 am »

So I haven't bought it, because it's really the type of game that's better to play at cons, due to the non-replayability of it.

Yeah, cons do make sense from a replayability standpoint, but I would worry about what happens if you're not done in those 4 or 6 hours. It took us about 4 hours for the first TIME Stories scenario, but I could see it going longer, especially as we worked out the puzzles. It has a great save feature if you own the game, but it doesn't help much with a shared game.

I'm fortunate that my board game café has a copy of this game. I suggested that some low-replayability games be added to the library, so it now has TIME Stories and Sherlock Holmes. It could also stand to add Mythos Tales. I've seen some people puzzle out how to play TIME Stories. I offer to help set up the cards. I warn them that it can take 4 or more hours so prepare to jot down some save states if they can't finish it in one sitting.
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 05:42:01 am »

We bought the game and have all the additional scenarios. We don't feel like it was a waste of money or really expensive either. You can split the costs with the group you're playing with if you feel like it. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at least.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:46 am »

We bought the game and have all the additional scenarios. We don't feel like it was a waste of money or really expensive either. You can split the costs with the group you're playing with if you feel like it. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me, at least.

Yeah, one way to look at it is that you paid into some nice art and storytelling. And I'm sure many of are guilty of buying a game and not yet finding time to play it. In that regard, TIME Stories is just more upfront about the cost/playing time ratio. 
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.