Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: sifting and reshuffleing  (Read 2837 times)

mee

• Scout
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
sifting and reshuffleing
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:40:55 pm »
+1

I feel that although sifting is widely recommended as a good thing one thing that is not mentioned as much is the reshuffle
when you have just played 2 grand markets and have a spy in your hand and you have 1 card left in your deck you probably don't want to play the spy unless you have a slimmed down deck that will get those grand markets quickly. If you play the spy you will end up reshuffling and the gms will be in your discard and wont go back into the deck until you reshuffle a 2nd time
 grand markets are just an example any other strong cards should b worried about this
an even stronger case is where my opponent had a familiar and potion in hand with no cards left in his deck and 9 curses left his choice was to play familiar now and than have 2 in his discard which would have taken him till the clean up of the 2nd turn(I think the right term meaning he would shuffle to draw his 3rd hand) to get his 2 familiars instead he opted to not play the familiar buy a 2nd one and got one in his next hand although this is an extreme case this highlights the need to be aware of such things
this case also highlighted one of my rants of don't buy a cantrip because you can

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: sifting and reshuffleing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:50 pm »

I am pretty sure it was discussed a lot before.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:51:56 pm »

http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/06/24/guest-article-deck-control/

You might be interested in that pretty old article, it covers some of the issues you've been talking about.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 04:45:19 pm »
+3

That article needs an update.  It's rather short and only really goes over a simplistic example.  It really needs a whole section added regarding cards that are currently in play.  Draw and discard cantrip type cards like Warehouse, Cellar and especially Minion can lead to situations where your actions are all in play and you discard is full of the junk.  You can oftentimes guarantee at least 2 consecutive dud hands if you force a reshuffle wherein you can't get back through your deck. 

Another great article which someone smart should right is setting up your deck.  This can be both in regards to your current hand and especially with Adventures, your next (and future) hands.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:25 pm »
+1

What's worth noting is that if all of your bad cards are in your hand, making them miss the reshuffle can easily be worth having those two Grand Markets also miss it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:55 pm »
+2

This is a tad short for an article.

And people might take you more seriously if you use less abbreviations, more apostrophes and such.
And although it's clear you've grasped the concept, I would let someone else write an article on this. I've been playing Dominion for a few years and I still don't feel qualified to write an article, even about a card that I've played hundreds of games with.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

mee

• Scout
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

And people might take you more seriously if you use less abbreviations, more apostrophes and such.
And although it's clear you've grasped the concept, I would let someone else write an article on this. I've been playing Dominion for a few years and I still don't feel qualified to write an article, even about a card that I've played hundreds of games with.
thank you for constructive criticism
I assume most people (I naturally wrote ppl but changed it after proofreading it )beginning articles were also in need of criticism but I need to start somewhere
I didn't want to write a new strategy article but all the old ones on the subjects I want 2 talk about haven't been written on in 2 or more years so this is just a small start

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:25:05 pm »
+5

thank you for constructive criticism
I assume most people (I naturally wrote ppl but changed it after proofreading it )beginning articles were also in need of criticism but I need to start somewhere
I didn't want to write a new strategy article but all the old ones on the subjects I want 2 talk about haven't been written on in 2 or more years so this is just a small start

Writing articles and getting constructive criticism is the best way to get better at writing articles.  Plus you learn a whole bunch of stuff.

I recommend reading some articles by WanderingWinder, Stef, Adam, or werothegreat as a reference point on how to write a great article.  Formatting is important, because the easier it is to read the information, the more people will read it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.