Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!  (Read 36287 times)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Re: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »

Website version doesn't work on tablet. IDK why but it doesn't

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:09 am »

This is truly a failure of capitalism here. I think the reason it's online only is so you can't hack unlock the game. God forbid somebody play the campaigns without paying. Raise your hand if you bought the game for campaigns...

Although, the new update does have new art for the campaigns - instead of the same map for every act, now there are real maps. You still can't observe the maps without the splotchy shields all over them, and they still make no sense (rivers don't flow downstream, they bisect land only).

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2015, 01:47:07 am »
+1

This is truly a failure of capitalism here. I think the reason it's online only is so you can't hack unlock the game. God forbid somebody play the campaigns without paying. Raise your hand if you bought the game for campaigns...
They have publicly said as recently as yesterday that they plan to provide an offline mode (though I do not believe they plan to provide an offline multiplayer mode e.g. hotseat).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2015, 09:41:38 am »
+1

(though I do not believe they plan to provide an offline multiplayer mode e.g. hotseat).

I assume this is another way of phrasing asynchronous play? Or does it refer to pass-and-play?

I really don't get why people over on bgg want asynchronous play. Dominion simply isn't a good game for that. A game of Dominion is short; it's one of the best things about it. It's especially short when played online. Why would you take a game that takes about 10 minutes to play and stretch it out over potentially days? And that's completely ignoring things like reactions.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:17 am »
+2

(though I do not believe they plan to provide an offline multiplayer mode e.g. hotseat).

I assume this is another way of phrasing asynchronous play? Or does it refer to pass-and-play?

I really don't get why people over on bgg want asynchronous play. Dominion simply isn't a good game for that. A game of Dominion is short; it's one of the best things about it. It's especially short when played online. Why would you take a game that takes about 10 minutes to play and stretch it out over potentially days? And that's completely ignoring things like reactions.

But how come pass-and-play stretches games? Bunch of folks walk into the room, launch the application and play against each other using one game client. Also, they probably eat pizza.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
+1

But how come pass-and-play stretches games?

It doesn't. Asynchronoys play does.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2015, 09:58:01 am »

But how come pass-and-play stretches games? Bunch of folks walk into the room, launch the application and play against each other using one game client. Also, they probably eat pizza.

Pass and play isn't bad. Though it would be difficult to implement because of hidden information such as your hands... there would be extra steps involved, where you would have to tap a button to hide the screen at the end of your turn, then your opponent would have to tap a button to show his screen after you pass it to him. So an extra 2 steps in between each time control passes from one player to another... which again could be just at the end of each turn, or a bunch of times within one turn when there's a Moat in hand and a Spy or Scrying Pool engine.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:39 am »

They have publicly said as recently as yesterday that they plan to provide an offline mode (though I do not believe they plan to provide an offline multiplayer mode e.g. hotseat).

They've also been saying stuff like this:

MF reply to the online requirement in the app store.

Unfortunately, a game with this much card logic needs to rely on a server connection.

That's so stupid! ::)

So at least it's reassuring to see that the quality of their PR is on par with the rest of the company.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2015, 11:23:38 am »
+6

I think it's kinda amusing people think MF didn't implement offline play out of ulterior motives, when they simply failed to see people wanted that and messed up the way they designed their code.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 11:31:27 am »

I think it's kinda amusing people think MF didn't implement offline play out of ulterior motives, when they simply failed to see people wanted that and messed up the way they designed their code.

Yeah. It's not like they went out of their way to program online requirements. Rather they simply already had all the Dominion logic programmed on the server, and it's way easier to simply port the client portion they already had to iOS than it is to port the entire server side logic over to iOS.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 12:13:17 pm »
+1

Considering the sheer volume of people saying they wanted offline play, it should have been obvious.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 12:32:12 pm »

Has DXV ever commented on why he chose Goko to make the official implementation? I feel like if he would have gone with a real company (i.e. EA Games) they would have offered him less money for the license but produced a much more solid game.

It's really disappointing that the game feels so luxe (extra randomizer cards, lots of tokens and playmats, quality box for storing cards) yet the app feels so cheap. It's like if instead of randomizer cards the game came with advertisements (or even worse - time-limited coupons) and instead of slots in the box, everything just jumbled together and if there were only 10 kingdom cards to start and all the graphics were crappy xeroxes but it was still the same price it would feel like the app.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »

In fairness, Hearthstone also does a lot of stuff server-side. The client is mainly a GUI that keeps track of what's in your hand. The developers admitted as much when discussing a new card - Reno Jackson - that has an effect dependent on what's in your deck. They couldn't give any sort of infographic on the card when it's in your hand because all of your deck information is stored on the server.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 12:39:58 pm »

In fairness, Hearthstone also does a lot of stuff server-side. The client is mainly a GUI that keeps track of what's in your hand. The developers admitted as much when discussing a new card - Reno Jackson - that has an effect dependent on what's in your deck. They couldn't give any sort of infographic on the card when it's in your hand because all of your deck information is stored on the server.

Blizzard games have forced online-only play through Battlenet since I think StarCraft 2 without providing any LAN support. There were many outcries against this. So, Blizzard has been successful despite the online-only requirement for their newer games. Given that these newer games are already online-only through Blizzard's policy, having the game logic stored server-side doesn't affect the user experience much more than their user base has already come to expect.

Has DXV ever commented on why he chose Goko to make the official implementation? I feel like if he would have gone with a real company (i.e. EA Games) they would have offered him less money for the license but produced a much more solid game.

It's really disappointing that the game feels so luxe (extra randomizer cards, lots of tokens and playmats, quality box for storing cards) yet the app feels so cheap. It's like if instead of randomizer cards the game came with advertisements (or even worse - time-limited coupons) and instead of slots in the box, everything just jumbled together and if there were only 10 kingdom cards to start and all the graphics were crappy xeroxes but it was still the same price it would feel like the app.

Wasn't it RGG that made that decision?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 12:56:12 pm »
+3

Yes, it was. And from what I have read, Jay chose Goko because they promised cross-platform play that wasn't Farmville.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 01:03:15 pm »
+6

The version I heard is that Donald had a meeting with some Goko representatives who showed him the following picture:

He was sold on the spot.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 01:07:24 pm »
+9

I feel like if he would have gone with a real company (i.e. EA Games)

Really?  Really?  You pick EA Games as your standard of a professional company?  The most hated "professional" game-making company in the business?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:12 pm »

Yes, it was. And from what I have read, Jay chose Goko because they promised cross-platform play that wasn't Farmville.

I wish we had Farmville.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 01:37:11 pm »

Really?  Really?  You pick EA Games as your standard of a professional company?  The most hated "professional" game-making company in the business?

I'm out of touch with software... it's the only company I could think of that makes games. I'm not sure why people hate them but if Dominion was a pogo game, it would probably turn out better.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 01:41:20 pm »
+1

Yeah, that's what I remember reading. Goko was founded on a reasonable idea, which was to use HTML5 to create cross-platform clients.

In my opinion, in hindsight, the two errors were:
  • Goko didn't have a track record. You couldn't look at a previous adaptation they'd done to see whether it's good, because they hadn't done any. For a license as important as Dominion, it's safer to pick a company that has already done quality board game adaptations.
  • Fully cross-platform play is too much to ask for. Most legit companies I've seen (like Playdek) specialize in a particular platform. Even finding a single company to develop both iOS and Android versions might be hard!

In an alternative universe, what could have been done is to get an iOS/Android specialist company to adapt Dominion for mobile platforms specifically. Take down the unofficial mobile apps, restrict isotropic to only work with desktop browsers (not that it was fully functional on tablets anyway), and put promotional links on isotropic for the mobile versions.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »
+1

I'm out of touch with software... it's the only company I could think of that makes games. I'm not sure why people hate them but if Dominion was a pogo game, it would probably turn out better.

EA destroyed SimCity.  That's enough reason to hate them right there.  But as I understand it they've also destroyed a bunch of other good franchises.

What is "pogo"?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:11 pm »

EA destroyed SimCity.  That's enough reason to hate them right there.  But as I understand it they've also destroyed a bunch of other good franchises.

What is "pogo"?

It's EA board and card games' website.

EDIT: removed snarky comment that added nothing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:10:39 pm by DoomYoshi »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 04:44:46 pm »
+4

They've also been saying stuff like this:

MF reply to the online requirement in the app store.

Unfortunately, a game with this much card logic needs to rely on a server connection.

That's so stupid! ::)

So at least it's reassuring to see that the quality of their PR is on par with the rest of the company.
Note that they do not say that anymore. We can't run the experiment the other way, but I yelled at them and they fixed it and explained at length how mortified they were.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 04:56:20 pm »
+7

Correct on both counts.

I have a contract with RGG that lets RGG sub-license for an electronic version. That's the extent of my official involvement. MF does try not to piss me off, since maybe they have worked out that, worst case, I could cut them off by having a new contract with Jay that ruled them out. They have not done especially well on that front, I will cite Adventures not coming out in April as an example. Still my tolerance level is no doubt higher than yours, whoever you are.

When Jay was looking for people to do a money-making online version (having previously paid to have BSW up), there were a small number of interested parties. Funsockets had the better pitch: cross-platform, not Farmville (the runner-up wanted Farmville). Funsockets also wanted to do Farmville, but managed to pitch not-that.

Funsockets renamed themselves Goko; Goko died but wait didn't, while AFAIK all previous people are gone (e.g. "CEO" Ted), a "CEO" named Kate Connally remains in the loop; somehow now Making Fun has the job. I don't know if RGG even has a contract with them, or if it's sub-sub-licensed or what.

EA is the not example you were looking for DoomYoshi, as other people are noting.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
+4

In my opinion, in hindsight, the two errors were:
  • Goko didn't have a track record. You couldn't look at a previous adaptation they'd done to see whether it's good, because they hadn't done any. For a license as important as Dominion, it's safer to pick a company that has already done quality board game adaptations.
  • Fully cross-platform play is too much to ask for. Most legit companies I've seen (like Playdek) specialize in a particular platform. Even finding a single company to develop both iOS and Android versions might be hard!
The big thing is that they didn't have a track record. The company with a track record would have known what they could manage in terms of cross-platform stuff.

There is also, being eager to get an official online version going fast, thus going with one of the applicants instead of waiting for someone better. We could have waited 2 years for someone better and still gotten here faster.

For me personally, I was eager to have an official online version, because of that guy who put my name in his product's title, who I should have sued.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 23 queries.