Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!  (Read 36286 times)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:56 pm »
+2

MF reply to the online requirement in the app store.

Unfortunately, a game with this much card logic needs to rely on a server connection.

That's so stupid! ::)

Yeah. I'm going to go ahead and say that Terra Mystica has way more logic and rules than Dominion. And that was implemented by some guy in Javascript, playable entirely offline.

Also: Androminion
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 02:58:14 pm »

What are those supposedly better deck builders? And which of them have a somewhat functional online implementation?

I played the Thunderstone Facebook app back when it was a thing. It was in many ways a better implementation of its source game than MF Dominion is. (Not saying Thunderstone is a better game. I haven't played a deckbuilder I'd consider better than Dominion)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 03:24:00 pm »

I certainly didn't get to page 5.  This is about half way down the first page:
However, I think most folks are probably burned out on it by now. Plus, it's got some stiff competition from newer deckbuilders.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:04 pm »
+3

Hard to see anything but MF getting the reception they earned here, as much as I wish it weren't so.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:55 pm »

I certainly didn't get to page 5.  This is about half way down the first page:
However, I think most folks are probably burned out on it by now. Plus, it's got some stiff competition from newer deckbuilders.

Yeah I just missed that. It's only a couple comments though.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 03:34:10 pm »
+2

What are those supposedly better deck builders? And which of them have a somewhat functional online implementation?

Both Ascension and Star Realms have functional online, pass-and-play, and offline AI play.  Mobile only, though.  Those are the big ones.

As games, they're significantly worse than Dominion from my perspective, but they're much easier to play casually--more luck-based, tactical, and opportunistic than Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 03:40:04 pm »
+5

Feedback on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g
Quote from: angelkurisu
Quote from: Redward
LOOOOOOL

Edit: Actually did laugh, but glad to see this finally made it out :P

I want an innovation app!!! :whistle:

Isotropic is there! And I won't force them to take that one down.

Emphasis mine.  Oh snap, Chris.

Edit:  For those who don't know, angelkurisu is Chris Cieslik, designer of Innovation.  He has the same username here.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 03:50:33 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 03:41:02 pm »
+1

The saddest part of it is that most of the people trying Dominion for the first time will now connect Dominion with it's current unsuccessful implementation and as a result will be lost for the game forever.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 03:44:32 pm »
+3

My question is if MF Dominion fails, then what?
What have you got?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 03:48:40 pm »
+1

The saddest part of it is that most of the people trying Dominion for the first time will now connect Dominion with it's current unsuccessful implementation and as a result will be lost for the game forever.

...once more.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

Feedback on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g
Quote from: Redward
LOOOOOOL

Edit: Actually did laugh, but glad to see this finally made it out :P

I want an innovation app!!! :whistle:

Isotropic is there! And I won't force them to take that one down.

Emphasis mine.  Oh snap, Chris.

Edit:  For those who don't know, angelkurisu is Chris Cieslik, designer of Innovation.  He has the same username here.

He doesn't say "my", but the first time I read that I did feel like he implied Innovation was his game. I thought Carl Chudyk was the designer of Innovation. Chris has designed other games from Asmadi before though.

But as a primary representative of Innovation I assume he would have enough influence to push for the end of Isotropic Innovation.

And anyway the last expansion for Innovation isn't on Isotropic.

Edit: Also a bit funny how comparisons with Hearthstone's expansion prices are met with derision for Hearthstone. Understandable I guess, but consistent players of Hearthstone can get those expansions without paying any extra dollars.

We've had the conversation about appropriate pricing on the Dominion Online expansions before. I feel no need for me to enter any further into that discussion.

Edit 2: lol at all those saying stuff like "why should I pay so much for a bunch of 0's and 1's". Computer aided design software products are also a bunch of 0's and 1's but cost hundreds of dollars.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:03:02 pm by markusin »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 04:12:59 pm »
+1

I found this amusing in the description:
Build up a powerful kingdom of knights, nobles and witches to conquer duchies and provinces.
It strikes me as a very de-eurogame-ized way to present the theme. Last I checked, you typically buy duchies and provinces, not conquer them.

Compare to this snippet from the IRL box's description:
You must race to get as much of the unclaimed land as possible, fending them off along the way. To do this you will hire minions, construct buildings, spruce up your castle, and fill the coffers of your treasury.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »

Worked great!
First I had to remake my account because it forgot it.
Then It crashed two games midway through
Overall 10/10

On a more serious note: It runs really smoothly but it crashed twice out of the three times I played it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:24 pm »
+1

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/keep-an-eye-out-for-oceans-turning-to-blood-dominion-has-been-released-for-ipad-and-android-tablets/

This basically sums up the feelings that people have with the mobile app. Online only and costly expansions are looked down upon, but when things actually work it's a playable version and Dominion, and we all want to play Dominion.

The BGG thread reports that the latest version of the game disables ads if you've purchased anything, including on the PC/browser version.

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2015, 05:24:16 pm »

I played a bunch of games on the iPad app and it worlked great for me. Better than using goko on a browser (readable log and I can chat) . As I have no interest in offline play and I don't get ads because I bought the sets I have 0 problems (except maybe that I can't use MMF on it) . Too bad the vast majority of people care about the offline play. I'd much rather they work on Adventures than that but I'm guessing they are going to focus efforts on that now with all the bad reviews they are getting

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
+2

I gave it a shot.  I played back on isotropic, and then the first version of whatever it is we are complaining about (goko?).

Crazily enough, I remembered my goko logon and it worked, with my record and everything.  I played three games -- the first was base only and I opened Witch, my opponent resigned.  Second was base only and I won the BM+Chapel mirror with Throned Thiefs every turn.  Then I figured out how to seek without the own cards thing turned on and played a rousing game with Hagglers and Plats.

No crashes, no complaints.  The game looks and sounds exactly like it used to on goko, so that was...disappointing?  I don't know.  I guess after ignoring it for years, I figured it would have changed.

As for the pricing, seems steep.  I say seems, because really it isn't, right?  I mean, compared to the physical game, of which I own Seaside and Intrigue, the prices are fine.  It's just IAP sticker shock (which I probably won't get over, to be honest).

So, well, I got to play Dominion on my iPad for free without a problem.  That's gotta be a win, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2015, 05:57:31 pm »
+1

re: other deckbuilders, yea thunderstone & ascension are some of the most obvious.  the anime maid one gets a lot of love from ppl who are into that whole thing. i also hear a good amount about the marvel & resident evil deckbuilders, though that may just be a function of who i know.

i think dominion's limit on actions is awesome for those of us who really want to grind a game, but a downer for people who just want to do cool shit without having to spend 10 minutes thinking about it first.  beyond that, novelty and stronger art/theming are the most obvious draws of other games for your typical boardgamer.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
+3

I'm gonna say the same thing about pricing that I've said previously:  MF's pricing is competing not with the boxed cards (which is what they're trying to compare it to) but with IAP for other games.  Star Realms and Ascension are inferior games, yes... but the app cost is less than a quarter the cost of the printed copy.

The thing is, this is true for other games that are as good as Dominion (at least in some opinions).  Take, for instance, Kingdom Builder... it was $7 I think for the app, compared with around $40 for the box.  Splendor.  Galaxy Trucker.  Lords of Waterdeep.  Carcassone.  Ticket to Ride. Steam.  The list goes on.

Pricing the IAP at a third the cost of the boxed copy is a huge gamble.  Is Dominion's popularity so high  that charging around double the expected price can be profitable?

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2015, 06:13:47 pm »
+2

As for the pricing, seems steep.  I say seems, because really it isn't, right?  I mean, compared to the physical game, of which I own Seaside and Intrigue, the prices are fine.  It's just IAP sticker shock (which I probably won't get over, to be honest).
Thing is, though, people won't be comparing it to the physical game, they'll be comparing it to other game apps they can get, particularly other board game apps, at which point the price is absolutely hilariously high.  I could literally buy ALL of the board game apps and IAPs I've bought to date on my phone (admittedly not THAT many) twice over and still afford to order pizza with what it would cost to get all the Dominion Online IAPs.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:38 pm »
+2

So, well, I got to play Dominion on my iPad for free without a problem.  That's gotta be a win, right?

MF Dominion is like Scout - fine in isolation,  but fails miserably when compared to anything else.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 06:17:00 pm »
+1

f.ds has unreasonable expectations. Unreasonably low, that is.

Case in point:

It runs really smoothly [....] it crashed twice out of the three times I played it.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 06:27:03 pm »
+5

MF Dominion is like Scout - fine in isolation,  but fails miserably when compared to anything else.

With DavidTheDavid being their very own Roadrunner.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2015, 08:12:27 pm »
+8

Wait, Roadrunner is cool overall, isn't he? Maybe a bit annoying at times, but not condescending or anything as far as I recall.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:13 pm »
+7

Wait, Roadrunner is cool overall, isn't he? Maybe a bit annoying at times, but not condescending or anything as far as I recall.

I'm going to attempt mysticism here and offer a positive interpretation of SCSN's joke.

What he clearly meant to say was:

"Just as Roadrunner, lovable though he is, has a ridiculously inflated opinion of the card scout, so also is the lovable DavidTheDavid ridiculously positive about MakingFun."
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.