Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!  (Read 36419 times)

Harley_Beckett

• Spy
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Making Fun's Dominion is now available for tablets!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:39:05 am »
+3

And on my birthday too!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:45:55 am »
+2

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:47:39 am »
+3

I played two games on my Samsung Tablet. Same thing, but only more frustrating because everything is smaller. It also sometimes lag. Honestly, the tablet versions make the problems of MF Dominion even more profound.

On another note, the first thing I really wanted to do was actually play bots which is weird because I hate playing bots. But, I kept thinking to myself: Man this app F**ing sucks, if I were to bring my tablet with me, I can't play Dominion. Keep in mind, that my tablet only has wi-fi and no 4G. So, yah. So, I guess it's okay if I'm in a Starbucks and don't have my laptop, but otherwise, just play on your desktop. Like really, it's just better being able to play on the desktop. The fact that it does not have an offline mode really sucks.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:24 am »
+2

Feedback on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g

Yup, seems the casual gamer (the people they really need to sell this too) think the app is total garbage.

The worse thing is that people kept telling them over and over that the app needed to offer offline play. I warned MF that people would not be happy.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:40:04 am by Beyond Awesome »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:53 am »
+1

Feedback on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/48254/app-release-dominion-has-been-released-seriously-g

Yup, seems the casual gamer (the people they really need to sell this too) think the app is total garbage.

The worse thing is that people kept telling them over and over that the app needed to offer offline play. I warned MF that people would not be happy.  ::)

Feels sad to read these reviews from bgg folks. Though it was obvious long ago that Goko/MF implementation was only consumable for people already hooked on Dominion.
It feels like if they don't do anything radical (reduce the prices sevenfold, allow offline mode, use the Dark side of the Force to turn current GUI to something more appealing to potential new customers, implement Adventures tomorrow), they just go broke in no time. And that would be truly terrible :(

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:23:49 am »
+1

Feedback on BGG

Feels sad to read these reviews from bgg folks. Though it was obvious long ago that Goko/MF implementation was only consumable for people already hooked on Dominion.
It feels like if they don't do anything radical (reduce the prices sevenfold, allow offline mode, use the Dark side of the Force to turn current GUI to something more appealing to potential new customers, implement Adventures tomorrow), they just go broke in no time. And that would be truly terrible :(

Yeah, if they thought "we" were negative, now they are really getting it, from people who don't desperately want them to succeed, but can find some fun in watching it fail while they play better-implemented games that they like as much or more. (Disclaimer: It has happened a few times that people here have expressed a wish that MF would fail as quickly as possible so the license can be put in other hands, but that has not been common at all. I think that almost always critique here against MF instead has been coupled with a wish that they will succeed and often with a related frustration when they seem to take paths that won't lead to that.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:48 am »
+1

We did tell them $15 per expansion was ridiculous.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:47:21 am »

I was initially surprised so many of the commenters are mentioning ads. I haven't noticed an ad in the game so long I forgot they were a thing. Seems like their presence makes a huge difference in the mobile audience's perception.

As mean as it sounds, my heart is sort of in the 'hope they crash and burn so someone else gets a shot' camp, though I'm not sure what the alternative is. Doubt Doug Z is interested in reviving isotropic and having no online Dominion would suck.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:00:47 am »
+4

People are complaining about the Ducat system and how you can't buy the exact amount of Ducats to get what you want.

It seems people have a psychological aversion to leftover funds that cannot be spent. This should have been old news to MF based on feedback about the Gokoins.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 10:03:47 am »

I was initially surprised so many of the commenters are mentioning ads. I haven't noticed an ad in the game so long I forgot they were a thing. Seems like their presence makes a huge difference in the mobile audience's perception.

As mean as it sounds, my heart is sort of in the 'hope they crash and burn so someone else gets a shot' camp, though I'm not sure what the alternative is. Doubt Doug Z is interested in reviving isotropic and having no online Dominion would suck.

I'm sure there are enough programmers in the community who would be willing to contribute to an unofficial online dominion if Making Fun's venture fails and no next official version appears. Certainly I would be willing to contribute. That seems a long way off though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 10:11:26 am »

Did anyone notice angelkurisu(Chris Cieslik) of Asmadi games posted in that thread (Asmadi games is the publisher for Innovation)?

He mentions something about a chatroom lobby that doesn't allow blocking of spammers/harrassers. What's he talking about? I don't remember that on the current browser client.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:50 am »

Did anyone notice angelkurisu(Chris Cieslik) of Asmadi games posted in that thread (Asmadi games is the publisher for Innovation)?

He mentions something about a chatroom lobby that doesn't allow blocking of spammers/harrassers. What's he talking about? I don't remember that on the current browser client.

He's right. There is a chat on the right side of the screen when you are seeking games or creating tables. If people are being jerks, you can't block them as of yet.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:01 am »
+1

People do tend to give "feedback" more often when they are disappointed or frustrated. We don't know how many love Dominion 2.0 mobile and are willing to pay money for this. There are 20 votes so far (3.8 stars) for this game in the android app store.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:56:22 am by sc0UT »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:55 am »

Dominion is the original deck-building card game that has won numerous awards and spawned an entire genre.

Wait a minute, there's an entire game that's been spawned from Dominion? Like, not just part of a game??
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 10:55:17 am »
+7

Dominion is the original deck-building card game that has won numerous awards and spawned an entire genre.

Wait a minute, there's an entire game that's been spawned from Dominion? Like, not just part of a game??

??? It says "genre", not "game".

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 10:55:55 am »
+5

People do tend to give "feedback" more often when they are disappointed or frustrated. We don't know how many love Dominion 2.0 mobile. There are 20 votes so far (3.8 stars) for this game in the android app store.

While that's true, it's hard to argue with the fact that the issues being complained about are things MF/Goko were informed of years ago by casual and hardcore fans alike. It stands to reason many players are simply grudgingly accepting these issues out of love for the game that already exists. The app is unlikely to attract new players with the blatant problems it has, which is bad news for everyone involved.

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 11:00:23 am »

People do tend to give "feedback" more often when they are disappointed or frustrated. We don't know how many love Dominion 2.0 mobile and are willing to pay money for this. There are 20 votes so far (3.8 stars) for this game in the android app store.

While that's true, it's hard to argue with the fact that the issues being complained about are things MF/Goko were informed of years ago by casual and hardcore fans alike. It stands to reason many players are simply grudgingly accepting these issues out of love for the game that already exists. The app is unlikely to attract new players with the blatant problems it has, which is bad news for everyone involved.

I'm 100% with you!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
+1

I cannot wait to see what Pocket Tactics has to say.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 11:15:05 am »

Does the tablet version mention a version by the way? Is that 2.0.45? (The last one released oterhwise is still 2.0.44.2, and they have said that the next version would wait because they would like to offer that on tablets as well.)

sc0UT

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 11:17:35 am »
+1

No one on BGG complains about overheating and resource wasting at least. Well, the average game count is ONE...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 11:27:38 am »
+2

Feedback on BGG

Oh wow.  Just... wow.

Well, they can't say they weren't warned.  People who are addicted to the game have tons of issues; what could you expect from people who could just as readily play something else better and cheaper?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2015, 11:47:16 am »
+1

??? It says "genre", not "game".

That makes way more sense than the way I misread it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
+4

I can totally understand Rio Grande Games wanting an app that worked cross-platform, but in hindsight it's a bad idea. The requirements of the user bases are completely different. In order for a mobile version to be successful, it needs offline play and cheap expansions. Desktop users want downloadable game logs, point counters, etc. I really wish the mobile version had just been licensed to some company that has experience making native mobile apps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.