Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Events  (Read 13745 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Events
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:52:19 pm »
+9

The Best Events - Part 1/2

60+ votes on this list, 49 votes for Summon

#21 Quest (Adventures) Weighted Average: 20.6% / Unweighted Average: 23.9% / Median: 15.0% / Standard Deviation: 24.1%

Quest is the worst event. It was voted last 13 times and 11 times above average.
#20 Scouting Party (Adventures) Weighted Average: 21.3% / Unweighted Average: 24.4% / Median: 15.0% / Standard Deviation: 24.7%

Scouting Party is second last, but it was close, only 0.65pp difference. It was voted last 12 times and 11 times above average.
#19 Raid (Adventures) Weighted Average: 23.1% / Unweighted Average: 26.2% / Median: 20.0% / Standard Deviation: 24.9%

Raid was voted first once, 7 times last and 8 times above average.
#18 Trade (Adventures) Weighted Average: 29.7% / Unweighted Average: 33.3% / Median: 27.3% / Standard Deviation: 25.4%

Trade was voted last 3 times, first once and 14 times above average.
#17 Seaway (Adventures) Weighted Average: 39.5% / Unweighted Average: 41.0% / Median: 40.0% / Standard Deviation: 23.8%

Seaway has a solid lead over the bottom 4 of around 10pp. It was voted last 3 times and 6 times above 70%.
#16 Plan (Adventures) Weighted Average: 40.7% / Unweighted Average: 41.9% / Median: 42.1% / Standard Deviation: 26.0%

Plan was voted 3 times last and 8 times above 70%.
#15 Travelling Fair (Adventures) Weighted Average: 41.5% / Unweighted Average: 42.1% / Median: 40.0% / Standard Deviation: 22.4%

Travelling Fair was voted last twice and 8 times above 70%.
#14 Pilgrimage (Adventures) Weighted Average: 45.0% / Unweighted Average: 42.9% / Median: 40.0% / Standard Deviation: 25.9%

Pilgrimage was voted last 4 times and 13 times above 70%.
#13 Save (Adventures) Weighted Average: 46.0% / Unweighted Average: 46.1% / Median: 44.4% / Standard Deviation: 24.8%

Save would be two ranks higher in the unweighted ranking. It was voted last twice, first once and 10 times above 70%.
#12 Ball (Adventures) Weighted Average: 46.5% / Unweighted Average: 45.3% / Median: 47.4% / Standard Deviation: 24.6%

Ball would be one rank lower in the unweighted ranking. It was voted last twice, first once and 8 times above 70%.
#11 Borrow (Adventures) Weighted Average: 48.0% / Unweighted Average: 48.3% / Median: 45.0% / Standard Deviation: 28.1%

Borrow would be two ranks higher in the unweighted ranking. It was voted 3 times last and 18 times above 70%.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 07:57:08 am by Qvist »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2015 Edition: Events
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:52:27 pm »
+8

The Best Events - Part 2/2

#10 Mission (Adventures) Weighted Average: 48.5% / Unweighted Average: 45.6% / Median: 45.0% / Standard Deviation: 26.5%

Mission would be two ranks lower in the unweighted ranking. It was voted last twice and 15 times above 70%.
#9 Expedition (Adventures) Weighted Average: 51.7% / Unweighted Average: 48.0% / Median: 50.0% / Standard Deviation: 23.7%

Expedition would be one rank lower in the unweighted ranking. It was voted last 3 times and 13 times below 30%.
#8 Bonfire (Adventures) Weighted Average: 53.4% / Unweighted Average: 49.7% / Median: 50.0% / Standard Deviation: 29.6%

Bonfire has the second highest deviation in this list. It was voted last 3 times, first twice and 18 times below 30%.
#7 Alms (Adventures) Weighted Average: 54.1% / Unweighted Average: 56.2% / Median: 60.0% / Standard Deviation: 29.9%

Alms has the highest deviation in this list. It was voted 4 times last, twice first and 13 times below 30%.
#6 Training (Adventures) Weighted Average: 57.0% / Unweighted Average: 59.0% / Median: 60.0% / Standard Deviation: 24.4%

Training was voted 4 times first and 6 times below 30%.
#5 Summon (Promo) Weighted Average: 67.4% / Unweighted Average: 63.6% / Median: 75.0% / Standard Deviation: 28.7%

The Top 5 have a lead of over 10pp. Summon has the third highest deviation in this list. It was voted 5 times first and 12 times below average.
#4 Inheritance (Adventures) Weighted Average: 72.8% / Unweighted Average: 73.9% / Median: 79.0% / Standard Deviation: 20.3%

Inheritance has the third lowest deviation in this list. It was voted first 5 times and 8 times below average.
#3 Pathfinding (Adventures) Weighted Average: 74.3% / Unweighted Average: 74.2% / Median: 85.0% / Standard Deviation: 25.7%

Pathfinding was voted 13 times first, last once and 14 times below average.
#2 Ferry (Adventures) Weighted Average: 85.3% / Unweighted Average: 83.0% / Median: 90.0% / Standard Deviation: 20.2%

Ferry has a lead of over 11pp over Pathfinding. It has the second lowest deviation in this list. It was voted 19 times first and 4 times below average.
#1 Lost Arts (Adventures) Weighted Average: 87.6% / Unweighted Average: 85.5% / Median: 90.0% / Standard Deviation: 16.3%

Lost Arts has by far the lowest deviation in this list. It was voted 13 times first (less often than Ferry) and 3 times below average.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:00:29 pm by Qvist »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:48:03 pm »

Again, Seaway this low? It makes quite a few engines viable in the first place and makes a lot more engines a lot better by not having to spend terminal space on a Herbalist/Woodcutter. I'd be willing to spend 5$ on a lot of boards without gaining a copy.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »
+2

I don't think Quest is so bad. It makes something like a Swindler/Swindler opening a lot better, for example.

OK but let's not lie, these were impossible to rate, these events, I mean who knows? Expansions must exist for at least 18 months online before it is possible to have opinions about them.

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:38 pm »
+1

Feels like Quest could be really great in slogs - I see why it's rated so low, but it feels better than Raid, Trade, or Plan (altho in the case of Raid I forget how the -1 Card token works and am too lazy to look it up.)

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 08:07:25 pm »

Feels like Quest could be really great in slogs - I see why it's rated so low, but it feels better than Raid, Trade, or Plan (altho in the case of Raid I forget how the -1 Card token works and am too lazy to look it up.)
I don't have a large sample size of games to base this on, but Trade is solid and Plan is very good.  Plan is great with a 3/4 opening with a spammable 4-cost card (I played it with Ironmonger - so good).  I believe Plan and Doctor (with overbuy) are the only ways to trash an Estate before the first reshuffle.  That's the dream situation for Plan, and it occurs in a solid 25% of games, I reckon.  But Plan is a solid card in any case, so long as there is no strong trashing and an engine component you want multiples of early.

I don't have much to say that I haven't said in a different thread, so I'll repeat myself: I think Seaway, Plan, and Pilgrimage are too low and Bonfire and Expedition are way too high.  I'm partly to blame for Seaway's low ranking; my valuation of the card has increased since the rankings.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »
+1

Scouting party is a really solid event. It synergises with travellers, tunnel(OP as far as tunnel stats go) and every other deck that needs cycling/reliability. Scouting party does not deserve to be this far down it is better than ball and plan because cycling and reliability are just so good.
EDIT
I believe Plan and Doctor (with overbuy) are the only ways to trash an Estate before the first reshuffle.
Inheriting raze lets you trash events during the first shuffle
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:17:59 pm by Limetime »

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 08:57:21 pm »

I haven't played with Adventures much at all, but Pilgrimage seems like an interesting and useful card. I guess it's really slow, but I can see it being insanely useful for high-cost, spammable actions (Hunting Party, King's Court, Grand Market, Border Village, etc.). Especially on boards where you don't draw your entire deck or you miss hitting $5.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:53:41 pm »
+1

I believe Plan and Doctor (with overbuy) are the only ways to trash an Estate before the first reshuffle.

Travelling Fair and Summon can also do it. You can also do it in terrible ways with Inheritance (e.g. Inherit Embargo on turn 1, play one on turn 2). Can also be done in rather convoluted ways via Trade.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:05 am »
+1

Liopoli can tell you about how good Save is. We seriously underrated it, guys.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:22:00 am »
+1

Liopoli can tell you about how good Save is. We seriously underrated it, guys.
Save is really good.

Edit: I'd rank it above Ball and a few in the top 10. I like borrow too. I think both should be top 5 on the 0-2 cost list.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:41:41 am by liopoil »

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 12:30:54 am »

Travelling Fair and Summon can also do it. You can also do it in terrible ways with Inheritance (e.g. Inherit Embargo on turn 1, play one on turn 2). Can also be done in rather convoluted ways via Trade.
Ooh!  Summon Remake on a 5/2 opening.  *drools

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:49:25 am »

To be fair I haven't played with any of the adventures cards, but I can see Quest making Moat-BM a legit strategy, no?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »
+2

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »

I understand that Bonfire gives you the benefit of playing cards before you trash them, but does it really deserve to be ranked 8th?  I actually would love to here feedback from players who have good experience with this event.  Enlighten me please.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:21:10 pm by microman »

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »
+1

I understand that Bonfire gives you the benefit of playing cards before you trash it, but does it really deserve to be ranked 8th?  I actually would love to here feedback from players who have good experience with this event.  Enlighten me please.
Trashing coppers/ruins is really good esp. when you don't have to buy the trasher.

microman

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 05:24:47 pm »

I was aware of that but, maybe there are other examples out there that I haven't considered.  I appreciate the feedback though :)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:49:57 pm »
+1

I understand that Bonfire gives you the benefit of playing cards before you trash them, but does it really deserve to be ranked 8th?  I actually would love to here feedback from players who have good experience with this event.  Enlighten me please.

It should probably be higher actually

microman

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:30 pm »
+1

It should probably be higher actually

That is totally fine, I have no problem with that, but some examples would be cool.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
+3

The odd thing about this list is that every event is at least situationally useful, and since being situationally useful is the whole point, every event is pretty good sometimes.

I think the order of this list is pretty much spot on, as long as you don't consider last place to be bad. Seaway should be higher with how scarce Buys are. Traveling Fair is also a by underrated, even outside the CH golden deck combo thing. That's about it really.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 04:31:31 am »
+1

To be fair I haven't played with any of the adventures cards, but I can see Quest making Moat-BM a legit strategy, no?

I don't think it does. It will make it only slightly better but I would hope there is something better going on than this.

I understand that Bonfire gives you the benefit of playing cards before you trash it, but does it really deserve to be ranked 8th?  I actually would love to here feedback from players who have good experience with this event.  Enlighten me please.

I was a sceptic at first, too about this. I'm still not convinced that it is as super strong as people make it out to be, but even two purchases of it make your deck quite reliable, very quickly. I mean, there are some boards where you don't want anything on three and so you already thinned before the first reshuffle.
Works obviously best with a card who gets rid of your estates. Hermit is a nice example: On 3/4 you can trash two coppers and an estate +gaining a Madman + a three cost (another hermit).

In general, I don't know how strong it is in the very early game (Opening Bonfire/Bonfire probably loses, but might aswell be genius on some boards) but in the early midgame when your engine is coming together you're probably more than glad to get rid of two coppers instead of buying a 3-cost.

I have not much experience with trashing ruins, and I wouldn't try it in a cultist game either, but it could certainly work out in Marauder games. This is also the Ruined Village buff we all waited for :)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.