Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Daily Devotional  (Read 7035 times)

DoomYoshi

• Scout
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
Dominion Daily Devotional
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:01:48 pm »
+3

I am proposing a reading plan similar to a bible devotional plan. Every day of the year has a card or combo or etc that will help understanding. They for the most part, will be organized thematically (tomorrow's article will ideally be linked with today's article) but jumps will be required. I think that thinking about a card and its unusual uses can help most players, but especially newer players (like myself). I am hoping to finish this by the new year starts, and there will probably be a ton of changes by then. I am really doing this for myself, but figured others might be interested as well. To clarify: the point isn't just to read the wiki page, but to think about and play with the card in question. The wiki can give ideas for setups though.

Dec 4th Update: Right now I'm doing a lot of pen and paper work. I'm going to add the recommended boards in but after all 10 cards have been listed. Sometimes I am cheating and putting it on the 9th so the recommended boards aren't too clustered. Council Room is going to end up being the last card since I somehow forgot to add it when I went through. After the Recommended boards, I will do a few popular deck archetypes and I am hoping this will fill the year. The reason I started with tactician is because it is the only card on the wiki with 100k+ views. Obviously, there is a lot of filler but I think 1 or 2 more expansions can cut a lot of the filler out.

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:10:39 pm by DoomYoshi »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Daily Devotional
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:26:58 pm »
+11

Watch 1 dominion stream or youtube video per day instead. You'll get more out of it than reading a lot of articles that mostly date to 2011 or 2012
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:28:10 pm by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:10 pm »

Mic Qsenoch's youtube channel has all of his league matches in the A-league against other top players, which makes it a particularly valuable resource. https://www.youtube.com/user/MicQsenoch/videos

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:45:13 pm »
+1

articles that mostly date to 2011 or 2012

The golden era of the Silver test.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »
+1

Mic Qsenoch's youtube channel has all of his league matches in the A-league against other top players, which makes it a particularly valuable resource. https://www.youtube.com/user/MicQsenoch/videos

For sufficiently loose definitions of "valuable"!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »
+1

Come on, the articles are outdated, but they're not useless. I skimmed the Tactician article and a lot of stuff in there is still helpful today.

At a certain point, yes it's going to be better to watch videos and livestreams, but the articles are good if you're still a beginner. Just don't take it as gospel. (And you shouldn't be taking videos as gospel either.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 03:03:30 pm »
+6

Come on, the articles are outdated, but they're not useless. I skimmed the Tactician article and a lot of stuff in there is still helpful today.

At a certain point, yes it's going to be better to watch videos and livestreams, but the articles are good if you're still a beginner. Just don't take it as gospel. (And you shouldn't be taking videos as gospel either.)

I randomly opened one article (Lab), and stumbled upon this:

Laboratory is one of the non-attack $5 cards that might be worth buying with $6. (Similarly, it’s also one of the cards that might make opening with Feast worth it.)
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »

I randomly opened one article (Lab), and stumbled upon this:

Laboratory is one of the non-attack $5 cards that might be worth buying with $6. (Similarly, it’s also one of the cards that might make opening with Feast worth it.)

That article also has
In a high-powered Lab deck, you also need some source of +Buy.  Ideally you’d pick up some kind of Market, to facilitate drawing more Labs and use your terminal on an attack instead, but if you see that you’ll be building a Lab chain, and there’s no non-terminal source of +Buy, you can get the need for +Buy out of the way with an early Woodcutter.

If there isn’t +Buy, it’s important not to build too fine-tuned a deck.  It’s no use spending time getting your Lab chain to consistently draw $20 if you can only buy one Province at a time: you’ll likely fall too far behind an opponent whose deck only gets to $10, but got there two turns sooner than you did.

It's assuming the deck is using only Lab to draw cards, but the general principle is still good: if there's +Buy, you want to build up more, and if there isn't you don't need to build past 1 Province or 1 Colony a turn.

There's also

Lab doesn’t actually improve your deck in a macro sense.  It’s easy to get caught up in a Village Idiot situation, where despite being able to draw your deck, you have nothing worth drawing.  So it’s important to balance your Lab buildup with actual deck improvement if you foresee being able to draw your deck.

which is good beginner advice. It's not great advice since people usually like to build a lot more than they did several years ago, but the general idea is worth knowing.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
+2

you can quickly fall behind if you allow your opponent to grab all the Labs

Festival is often considered a form of village

Tactician is worst when you have very strong trashing

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 03:43:28 pm »

The idea isn't to take the articles as gospel, but as a jumping off point. Even reading the card and then playing a few games with the card achieves the same effect.

Reading the article and thinking about why it is wrong/outdated is exactly the point!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 03:45:23 pm »
+7

I buy Lab with $6 all the time. Certainly it's often a better buy than Gold.

These articles may look archaic today, but in a big way they were the stuff on which this community was created. So thanks, theory!

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:23 pm »
+4

The opportunity cost of watching videos is way too high, since I have a deck with good reading speed.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 04:07:00 am »

I buy Lab with $6 all the time. Certainly it's often a better buy than Gold.

Well yes, but that is a common trait of basically all $5-costs and nothing that stands out for Lab in particular. The notion that it is strange to buy something other than Gold with $6 was what amused me, and what shows the out-datedness.

I am not saying that it wasn't good to have these articles back in the day. But they could use some updating as our knowledge of the game grows.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 01:20:42 pm »
+1

Ironically, I feel it is much rarer these days to buy gold on $6. Okay, I guess that's pretty obvious, but it shows how much engine building has taken over since that article was written. I blame Dark Ages

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 01:45:11 pm »
+5

What is Gold?  Is that kind of like Scout and Royal Seal? 

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
+1

If the articles are now out of date, either due to a better understanding or because how a card interacts with newer sets, isn't this idea a way of getting some updated information out there? Given that this thread has already prompted some discussion about a basic card like Lab, I think it is a good idea.

I quite often refer to the articles on this site if I feel I lost due to my opponent playing a card better then me, using it in a way I didn't understand or utilising a card I thought was ignorable. It never occurred to be that some of that information might be out of date.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »
+6

It's kind of like a non-terminal Count with less flexibility that you can't KC.

DoomYoshi

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 02:32:09 pm »
+13

It's a card that, strictly speaking, passes the silver test.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 03:04:58 pm »
+6

It's a card that, strictly speaking, passes the silver test.

Unless its a Feodum board.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 20 queries.